Duxford airshow

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 5 months

I was just thinking what aircraft could come to the duxford battle of britain airshow ????

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

I'm hoping we will see all 6 Hurricanes together somewhere at some point this year. I don't think Hanger 11 ever come to Duxford so maybe will be another airshow, I'd like to see them at Shoreham.

Hope we also see at least one 109 come over from Europe.

Peter

Member for

16 years 6 months

Why is it that Hanger 11 hardly seem to come to DX? You'd think the chance to see 3 p 40s and 6 hurricanes airworthy would be enough to tempt 'em:p

Member for

20 years 10 months

Spitfire PL965 was there, I recall, for the last big (windy) Spitfire gathering.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I stand corrected. Hanger 11 have stated on their Supporters Club thread that they will be at Duxford so we could be game on for 6 Hurricanes.

Member for

14 years 5 months

Spitfire PL965 was there, I recall, for the last big (windy) Spitfire gathering.

Aye - think it was flown by Carl Schofield, but I may be wrong.

As for the original poster's question, it'd be nice to see the Biltema Spitfire XVI & XVIII over for the September show. Rod Dean flew the XVIII at 'Legends '09, so it isn't too much of a stretch to imagine a return appearance for the BoB show.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Two, perhaps three, Buchons?

Member for

20 years 10 months

Aye - think it was flown by Carl Schofield, but I may be wrong.
You are right - it was for its first Dx appearance under Hangar 11 ownership and the second and most recent one was flown by PT (2008 ?).

Member for

16 years 1 month

Who will pay for all of these acts?
I would hazard a guess that the BoB airshow will be made of Dx based aircraft and UK based spits.

With the passing of last years season at Duxford, you could of scrubbed the September show out, as all 3 IWM ( not legends ) major air events were all same near enough.

As ever the only worthwhile Airshow at Dx last year was Legends once again due to it being a private run show.

IMHO this years BoB will not be on the same grand level as 2000, as the museum it seems just does'nt have the cash, as with all Airshows in the UK with the current £ problems

I think smaller is going to be the way foward

Member for

14 years 5 months

You are right - it was for its first Dx appearance under Hangar 11 ownership and the second and most recent one was flown by PT (2008 ?).

'Twas 2006 (how time flies!), PT was in the second box-four, led by the then HFL owned Spitfire XIV and accompanied by the Seafire and Grace Spitfire. I have a habit of remembering random details like that, for better or worse...

As ever the only worthwhile Airshow at Dx last year was Legends once again due to it being a private run show.

IMHO this years BoB will not be on the same grand level as 2000, as the museum it seems just does'nt have the cash, as with all Airshows in the UK with the current £ problems

Chances are you're right, the BoB show won't be as numerically impressive as a decade ago. Hardly surprising; an awful lot has changed in 10 years! Still, bigger doesn't necessarily mean better - we've seen plenty of superb BoB sequences at Duxford and Shoreham over the past few years which have "only" included 4-10 Spitfires. It's all about the imagination and impact, to name but two factors. The key is making the most of the assets you have, and I have no doubt that Duxford will succeed in putting on a memorable show.

Also, I'm going to have to disagree with you on the non-Legends Duxford shows. The May display had the potential to be a classic IWM show, but the weather left the programme battered. Despite the numerous cancellations, it was still a top notch show. September and October may have been lacking in imagination, thus giving them a feeling of "seen it all before", but they were undoubtedly entertaining shows with some wonderful flying, as ever. I for one would be sorely disappointed if they did away with the IWM shows - they're a British airshow tradition!

Member for

16 years 6 months

What are the chances of dismantling the Defiant, and lining her up on the flight line with the Spitfires, Hurricanes and Gladiators.?

Member for

18 years 1 month

What are the chances of dismantling the Defiant, and lining her up on the flight line with the Spitfires, Hurricanes and Gladiators.?

If you are talking about the Defiant at Hendon. I believe it is already dismantled and under restoration with the guys who restored the Battle for them. So I doubt it could be put back together at the moment.

Member for

15 years 2 months

Also, I'm going to have to disagree with you on the non-Legends Duxford shows. The May display had the potential to be a classic IWM show, but the weather left the programme battered. Despite the numerous cancellations, it was still a top notch show. September and October may have been lacking in imagination, thus giving them a feeling of "seen it all before", but they were undoubtedly entertaining shows with some wonderful flying, as ever. I for one would be sorely disappointed if they did away with the IWM shows - they're a British airshow tradition!

"Seen it all before" is how all the IWM shows now are.

Legends is the only one worth going to.

Thats because TFC run it.

Sadly the IWM shows lack funds ,imagination, or interest.

I attended all the Duxford Based shows last year and IMHO a major rethink is needed by the IWM.

Member for

14 years 5 months

"Seen it all before" is how all the IWM shows now are.

Legends is the only one worth going to.

Thats because TFC run it.

Sadly the IWM shows lack funds ,imagination, or interest.

I attended all the Duxford Based shows last year and IMHO a major rethink is needed by the IWM.

I'd agree that a change of tac would be welcome, but when they're still drawing good sized crowds, I doubt it'll happen. That said, another few shows with figures like those on the Sunday of the September 2009 event, and they may be forced into a change. When punters vote with their feet, how long can they hold off on mixing up the format? Will regular visitors who don't go for the museum continue to pay £30+ for 3 hours of flying, when you can see double that at, say, Biggin Hill for a similar (possibly lower?) price?

Stephen White had the right idea in 2001, injecting enthusiasm, originality and imagination into the September event. Such a shame we only got to see one of his shows - I can only imagine what the following years may have looked like had he remained as show organiser.