Trying to ID these 1930's RAF Aircraft/Airfields

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 2 months

These are some of the more difficult UK based photos from the collection of my late father, Flt.Lt. Thomas Barker. BEM. which I am trying to identify. If you are interested in Fairey Albacores and their deployment in Malta, RAF secondment to the Fleet Air Arm, the Malta blitz or service life seen from a different angle and a bit more background information, then please take a look at the following :

Fleet Air Arm 828 Squadron (TSR) HalFar, Malta
Surrender of the Italian Fleet, Malta

Back to these photos and the UK.

RAF01.JPG This is TB at Manston 1936. Thought you would like to see it for future ID of the hangar elevation - have not yet identified the aircraft though.

RAF02.JPG TB can be seen bottom right in this aircraft, wearing an unusual or old-style cap?. Can you ID the aircraft? Is it a Heyford or Hendon bomber?

RAF03.JPG I believe these are Westland Wallace Aircraft (Target Towing Box Under), is it RAF Mildenhall? His service record puts him with 38 sqn. at Mildenhall 02.04.37

RAF04.JPG, RAF08.JPG, RAF05.JPG. These are really puzzling. The nearest serial no. can be read as K3266 (enlarged in RAF05.JPG) which I believe is an Avro Tutor. They all seem to have the cockpits and engine cowls covered with tarpaulins. Also unidentified aircraft at the far end of the line, but where is this? Bell-tents are just visible on the left behind the aircraft and the top of an unusual shaped building centre. Possibly the same bell-tents as in RAF08.JPG. I do recall TB mentioning to me that when he was first at RAF Marham (when 38 Sqn moved in May 1937) that they lived in bell-tents. This does not however seem to match with a field of Avro Tutors! Any suggestions welcome.

RAF06.JPG Definitely at RAF North Luffenham. TB had security authorisation to examine British and allied aircraft. Is anyone able to suggest the aircraft with its bubble open? Inscription on photo reads 'North Luffenham G1165 HGCU 04.10.44'

RAF07.JPG This one is a mystery all round!

Any comments are most welcome. Some more to follow when time permits!

Original post

Member for

17 years 6 months

RAF07.JPG This one is a mystery all round!

(Badly burnt) Bristol Blenheim Mk I

Member for

17 years

The last one looks like a very poorly Blenheim Mk1

Member for

17 years

damn!:D

Member for

17 years 6 months

RAF06.JPG Definitely at RAF North Luffenham. TB had security authorisation to examine British and allied aircraft. Is anyone able to suggest the aircraft with its bubble open? Inscription on photo reads 'North Luffenham G1165 HGCU 04.10.44'

Must be an Armstrong Whitworth Albemarle.

'HGCU' possibly Heavy Glider Conversion Unit?

Member for

16 years 7 months

First one looks like an Armstrong Siddeley Atlas I.
No 3, Westland Wallace without spats.
Definately F Type aircraft sheds in background to both pics.

Member for

18 years 6 months

RAF04,05.06 looks like a summer camp for 604 squadron Auxiliary Air Force where Bell tents were quite common.

The quoted Tutor was on the squadron from 07.09.36. The tail markings look typical of the fighter squadron markings displayed by other units.

Interestingly the sqaudron later converted to Blenheim 1f which would tie in with the last photo. The Blenheims were at North Weald

Member for

18 years 3 months

The biplane in the first picture is a Armstrong Whitworth Atlas, trainer version rather than the army co-operation version.

Fourth picture in a line up of Avro Tutors is a Airspeed Oxford at the far end, strange colour scheme that could be yellow, just looks odd due to the film.

In the open hatch picture some AW Whitleys are sitting in the far distance.

The biplanes in the third picture are Westland Wallace

Richard

Member for

17 years 7 months

RAF01.JPG
Armstrong Whitworth Atlas TM K14** (K1454-K1507) one of 53 trainers

Member for

17 years 6 months

In the open hatch picture some AW Whitleys are sitting in the far distance.

The aircraft with its hatch open is definitely an Armstrong Whitworth Albemarle and the presence of Whitleys would seem to fit the usage of North Luffenham perfectly at that time.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bombercommand/s76.html

“When [North Luffenham] re-opened in March 1944, the station was used by No. 21 Heavy Glider Conversion Unit with Whitleys and Horsas. This HGCU began to receive Albemarles to replace the Whitleys shortly before moving out in September that year.”

Member for

18 years 6 months

The Atlas in photograph 1 is interesting in that not many were still in service in 1936.

There were a few with the Electrical & Wireless School at Cranwell so it could have been visiting if it is Manston in 1936

Amongst their aircraft were K1482 & K1483 which were with the Unit in 1936

Member for

16 years 7 months

The Atlas in photograph 1 is interesting in that not many were still in service in 1936.
There were a few with the Electrical & Wireless School at Cranwell so it could have been visiting if it is Manston in 1936
Amongst their aircraft were K1482 & K1483 which were with the Unit in 1936

That would fit well with the hangar type in the background, it is an F Type which was primarily an admiralty type but some where re-erected on RAF airfields, Cranwel did (does?) have them. Not sure that Manston did.
The same hangar design appears in the Wallace pic.

Member for

18 years 6 months

The biplanes in the third picture are Westland Wallace

The E &WS also used the Wallace so I suspect the pictures of the Atlas and Wallaces are at Cranwell in 1936

Member for

16 years 2 months

Photo 2 is definitely not a Heyford cockpit, not sure about the Hendon.

Thanks for posting these photos by the way - they're fascinating.

Member for

17 years 8 months

I think that the cockpit shot is a Hendon. The last 38 Sqn Hendon went to the Radio School at Cranwell

John

Member for

18 years 3 months

I think that the cockpit shot is a Hendon.
John

Yes I thought Hendon except it looks like two seats one behind the other, were Hendons like that?

Richard

Member for

17 years 8 months

Yes, There was a dual control version.

John

Member for

19 years 1 month

PS. How do I overcome the problem of allotted attachment space running out?

You can use photobucket or similar,this also means you can post bigger photos :D
Very nice photos btw

Member for

14 years 2 months

You can use photobucket or similar,this also means you can post bigger photos :D
Very nice photos btw

Thanks bazv, I do use photobucket, but they seem to take ever-and-a-day to load up!

Member for

17 years 6 months

RAF13.JPG and RAF14.JPG Are these all the same type of aircraft - Armstrong Whitworth Albemarle of HGCU?

Yes, both these are AW Albemarles.

Member for

19 years 1 month

Thanks bazv, I do use photobucket, but they seem to take ever-and-a-day to load up!

I suppose it depends on how many pics you upload,I usually select the 'images' I want and then go and do something else for a few mins :D

rgds baz