Los Angeles: Any Historic Aviation Museums?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 6 months

I'm off to a trade show in L.A. next week. I have two days of free time to acclimatise (Tuesday & Wednesday) before I get busy.

Can anyone suggest any places to see vintage aircraft in L.A. please?

Original post

Member for

18 years 1 month

They are both very good museums. I went to them last september.

Dave

Member for

16 years 6 months

Thanks. These two look like I can be kept quiet for a while. Whilst I can google around, I've no idea if a museum is reachable or worthy, so it's good to have some sage advice.

Member for

14 years 10 months

Depending time and distance you also might want to have a look at the Reagan Library in Simi Valley or the missile park at Pt. Mugu.

There's also the March ARB museum, Riverside, the Western Museum of Flight in Torrance and The Palm Springs air Museum.

If you google the names their websites pop up directly.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Depending on what you like to see there is lots about but Chino is awesome but take a map as i have been there 4 times and never gone the same way.

Also to view in the centre of LA is the A12 'Titanium Goose' Blackbird trainer outside the science museum and if you like possibly LA's most famous aviation product (as they were all built in Burbank) you can go to the Plant 42 airpark at Palmdale it is a bit of a drive though but you will not see a A12,SR71 & U2 all in one place anywhere else.

And when you leave LAX look out for the proud bird restaurant which has lots of aircraft most are mock ups but you do wonder how they got so many Thunderbolts, Mustangs etc there.

curlyboy

Member for

18 years 1 month

My son said the San Diego aerospace museum. We drove there from Ontario ca, just north of Chino for the day.

Dave

Member for

20 years 1 month

My son said the San Diego aerospace museum. We drove there from Ontario ca, just north of Chino for the day.

Dave

San Diego is great but is around a 2 hour+ drive (3 depending on the USMC and the customs inspections on highway 1 though) from downtown LA plus you have the USS Midway museum well worth a visit.

http://www.midway.org/

These all depends on where you are staying in LA as it is a BIG place!!!

curlyboy

Member for

18 years 8 months

The Blackbird Park in Palmdale should be on you list of things to see; SR-71, A-12, D-21, J-58 and Chevy powered start cart. Addtionally, Palmdale Airpark has about a dozen aircraft on display and there are several Lockheed aircraft on display in front of the Lockheed plant.

Palmdale is a little over an hour north of downtown LA.

Member for

24 years 3 months

If this is your first visit to Los Angeles, be aware that distances are great and traffic is slow. If possible, rent a car that has some sort of navigation system. An "hour's journey" can be 2-3x longer if traffic is bad. Give yourself lots of time to travel.

Chino's airport would be my choice if you had to pick only one destination in the general LA area.

San Diego is worthy of its own visit. Great city, lots of military/aviation history there. I would not consider San Diego as part of an LA visit. There is so much to see and do in San Diego that I would save it for it's own trip. The San Diego Air and Space Museum in Balboa Park is a must see.

Scott

Member for

14 years 5 months

Yes Chino is a must visit place! it's changed a fair bit over the years not as "open". as it used to be but a walk around the Tarmac is a must 'coz it's not just the museums, the whole airport is packed full of cool airplanes. took my first ride in a mustang at Chino and you could too just call ahead and book!!

Member for

18 years 10 months

If this is your first visit to Los Angeles, be aware that distances are great and traffic is slow. If possible, rent a car that has some sort of navigation system. An "hour's journey" can be 2-3x longer if traffic is bad. Give yourself lots of time to travel.

My daily commute into LA is 55 miles, it takes me 50 minutes during rush hour....

Palmdale is 75 miles North of LAX, I've done Palmdale to LAX under an hour.

Chino is 90 miles from where I live, it takes an hour & 40 minutes to get there.

Member for

18 years 10 months

What trade show btw? & where's it at?

& if you go to Palmdale:
Visit the Lockheed shop at Plant 42/Skunkworks. It's to the right just before the main gate in the same building as the credit union... across from the F104 & F16.

Member for

16 years 6 months

What trade show btw? & where's it at?

& if you go to Palmdale:
Visit the Lockheed shop at Plant 42/Skunkworks. It's to the right just before the main gate in the same building as the credit union... across from the F104 & F16.

I'm here now. Thanks for all the ideas and comments ...just what I hoped for.

The show I'm attending is NAMM - a music equipment trade show.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Ohh Anaheim be careful there it is not all Disneyland.

But it puts Chino as about a 45 minute drive depending on which way you go.

curlyboy

Member for

19 years 5 months

Just a few obvious suggestion....
We're used to taking streets to where we want to go.
In LA, it's Freeways (motorways). You'll hear directions like: "Take the I-5 to the (I) 405..."
It works well and is well signposted.
I've always found LA drivers to be pretty good...not overly agressive.
My recommenedation...map out your trip before getting in the car, and make a list of directions...don't even try to read a map while driving.
Drive in the slow (Right) lane so you can get off when you need to.
Take your time.

It's easy to get to Chino. I always stop there when I'm in town.

Member for

16 years 1 month

Chino

In case you didn't get enough hints above, Chino is the best bet. Can do March and Chino on the same day (a busy, but doable day for wednesday) Enjoy L.A.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Is Chino only accesable by car from LA?

Member for

18 years 10 months

Is Chino only accesable by car from LA?

Well, it's not unknown to fly there... ;)

Member for

18 years 10 months

Well if you're still around on Sunday afernoon show up at this place:
www.sagebrushcantina.com
Band starts at 3pm :)

I'm off to Santa Monica in the morning to sort out Cottonmouth (the P51, not the Hawker), May do lunch at the Spitfire Grill :)

Lockheed shop:
Get to the 14 North & exit at Ave P/Rancho Vista. Hang a right & head East. First left after the RR tracks is Lockheed Way. You'l see the HUGE building (light blue with a stripe around the top) you can see it from bloody miles away as you come down from the mtns into Palmdale.