Spitfire spade grip?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 3 months

Hello folks. I'm new to the forum, so please bear with me. I have a spade grip, ring grip or whatever you will call them. Popular opinion is that it is Spitfire, but the number is odd. AH80?28. The middle number is not really readable, and may be a mis strike. The number beneath the gun button is clear, AH016041. Any ideas?

Attachments
Original post

Member for

19 years 3 months

Welcome old chap.....it is Spit V onwards and very nice too!! I will always take it off your hands!!! tee hee!

Member for

14 years 3 months

Now that was quick, so here's another one to tickle your fancy. "From a garage in Surrey near you", six weeks ago. Thanks again for all your help, I'm
impressed.

Attachments

Member for

19 years 3 months

the classic Hawker Bipe stick grip fitted to Fury, Hind, Hart, Fox, Sea Fox et al...very nice too

Member for

14 years 3 months

Thanks Tony, you can stand down now......unless you know where I can find a centre cap for a DC3 control wheel?

Member for

19 years 3 months

unfortunately not! I think Jay Wisler in Tampa has replicas....

Member for

17 years 11 months

We had one of those stolen from Tangmere about 10 years ago (Fury spade)

Those were the days, when museums could leave things on display.
Nowadays they are behind armoured glass with cameras watching all and everybody.
The times we live in ?? MMmmmmmmmm

Member for

14 years 3 months

Things were different then I know. This one came from an aircraft dump in the desert (I forgot to ask which one) during WW11 and has been with the same owner ever since.

Member for

15 years 11 months

Spitfire spade grip

Re: Rocketeer

Only Spit V onwards ? I have the same grip with rectangular firebutton and would like to fix it in my Spit Mk II b cockpitsection.

Rijnko

Member for

19 years 3 months

sorry old chap, but the MkIIb used a classic round button...the rectanguar button was for cannon

Member for

18 years 5 months

Does the b in IIb not signify cannon?

Member for

16 years 3 months

Rocketeer: sorry old chap, but the MkIIb used a classic round button...the rectanguar button was for cannon

AP1086 lists both Spitfire IB and IIB, as well as VB etc, under spade grip AHO8068, and since my understanding is that the Spitfire IIB had both cannon and machine guns, then this would surely seem to be the correct type of grip?

What no-one has commented on is that the grip in lanner55's photos appears to be stamped AH80(?)28 as he states, not AH8068.

AH8028 is not on my list; can anyone account for this variant?

Member for

19 years 3 months

AP1086 lists both Spitfire IB and IIB, as well as VB etc, under spade grip AHO8068, and since my understanding is that the Spitfire IIB had both cannon and machine guns, then this would surely seem to be the correct type of grip?

What no-one has commented on is that the grip in lanner55's photos appears to be stamped AH80(?)28 as he states, not AH8068.

AH8028 is not on my list; can anyone account for this variant?

Well done AM old chap!
Could the 8028 be a misquote? Interesting about 8068 on earlier types...never seen a cockpit of a Mk2 with anything but a round button...anyone else

Member for

15 years 11 months

My grip has number AHO8068 so it seems O.K. putting it in my Spit MK IIb section. Thanks.

The Spitfire VA had a round button, I think you will find? The VB onwards had the aluminium rocker button as per Lanners55 first post in this thread. (Just to clarify the "Spitfire V onwards" quote above)

Member for

19 years 3 months

The Spitfire VA had a round button, I think you will find? The VB onwards had the aluminium rocker button as per Lanners55 first post in this thread.

excellent, makes me feel happier about the 8068 fitted to mine!

Member for

14 years 3 months

Many thanks to everyone for their valuable input. A.M makes a great point and now I study the grip again, all may be revealed. I had thought the third digit to be spurious, infact, it's the fourth. There is a clear 8068, but between the 6 and the 8, is a 2 stamped slightly below the line of the numbers, I guess a later addition for some reason. It does seem Tony and everyone else was right, Spitfire, but what does the 2 indicate..will we ever know?

Attachments

Member for

16 years 11 months

AP1565B, or at least my reprint of it states that "the guns on the Spitfire IIb are fired pneumatically by a triple push-button on the control column spade grip", it is also shown as the square button in a schematic. As a matter of interest, what was the difference between the grips themselves, minus buttons? was it just more room in the grip for the extra pipe. Here's an odd one, Hendon's Lysander has a Spit grip, photo from 4+ publication.

Attachments

Member for

19 years 3 months

No Ian, the Lysander has a Lysander grip|!! It is a little different to a Spit (no thumb cut out on LHS of button):)

Member for

16 years 11 months

Lordy, there's an unusual one. Have you got a better picture? I'm more than curious!

Member for

20 years

Lordy, there's an unusual one. Have you got a better picture? I'm more than curious!

There is one on a certain auction site right now!

(It's not mine btw)