Listing the REALLY BIG aircraft

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 7 months

I’m currently writing a small article about REALLY BIG aircraft for a Danish blog. To be honest it’s more like a list of REALLY BIG aircraft and I was hoping to tap into Historic Aviation’s fountain of knowledge. I was thinking about something along the list below and the aircraft need not have flown – actually the more obscure the better. Does anyone have suggestions?

Bristol Type 167 Brabazon
Saunders-Roe Princess
Convair XC-99
Hughes H-4 Hercules
Kalinin K-7
Bel Geddes No. 4

It need not be a complete list, as I'm only thinking about using 5-6 of the best ones (measured by WOW effect).

Original post

Member for

16 years 3 months

In wanting a list of big aircaft you've only listed big aeroplanes, the largest of which is small compared to the largest aircraft so far - airships.
OK they might not tip the scales as the world's heaviest aircraft but they haven't been beaten in the tape measure stakes.

Member for

19 years 2 months

I know this is probably not exactly what you are after...but it gives me the excuse to post what I think is one of the 'classics' of aviation photography,the Sikorsky Ilya Muromets...:D

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/volvosmoker/sikorskyilyamuromets.jpg

Member for

16 years 7 months

I know this is probably not exactly what you are after...but it gives me the excuse to post what I think is one of the 'classics' of aviation photography,the Sikorsky Ilya Muromets...:D

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/volvosmoker/sikorskyilyamuromets.jpg

For its time it was absolutely huge, so it’s a good candidate – the picture alone is worth including.

Member for

16 years 7 months

In wanting a list of big aircaft you've only listed big aeroplanes, the largest of which is small compared to the largest aircraft so far - airships.
OK they might not tip the scales as the world's heaviest aircraft but they haven't been beaten in the tape measure stakes.

Yes, I'm looking for aeroplanes. I have already done a few posts about airships - I'm a big fan!

Member for

16 years 7 months

I remembered another giant: Messerschmitt Me 323 Gigant.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/25/Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-596-0367-05A%2C_Flugzeug_Me_323_Gigant.jpg

Member for

19 years 6 months

What about this beast. All info and picture taken from this site - http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/helicopters/q0284.shtml

1. Mil V-12 : 231,485 lb (105,000 kg)

The largest helicopter ever built was a massive aircraft developed in the Soviet Union during the 1960s called the Mil V-12. The V-12 was a rather unusual test vehicle that featured two rotors mounted side by side at the ends of a large wing. Each rotor had a diameter of nearly 115 ft (35 m). The helicopter was so enormous that the distance from the edge of one rotor disk to the other was almost 220 ft (67 m), even wider across than the wingspan of a Boeing 747!

Sorry the mobile internet dongle is not up to a photo upload this morning :rolleyes: But the picture is in the link.

Ben

(edit, looks like it is, how did that happen !)

Attachments

Member for

16 years 7 months

That’s an impressive piece of hardware – got that lovely CCCP feel.

Member for

18 years 1 month

Krupp-Germania Ks.Ib

Can't think of anything with a greater wing span. :)

Member for

19 years 6 months

It was the first thing that came to mind when I saw your post. I think the first time I saw it was in a book when I was about five. The US also built a big helicopter prototype but I think it was scrapped before flying. I think I once saw something about the Helicopter Museum at Weston Supermare having the undercarriage from it.

Did you see that link on the link I posted (if you know what I meen) It has a list of the worlds largest aircraft in weight and wingspan.

Ben

Member for

16 years 7 months

It was the first thing that came to mind when I saw your post. I think the first time I saw it was in a book when I was about five. The US also built a big helicopter prototype but I think it was scrapped before flying. I think I once saw something about the Helicopter Museum at Weston Supermare having the undercarriage from it.

Did you see that link on the link I posted (if you know what I meen) It has a list of the worlds largest aircraft in weight and wingspan.

Ben

I saw the list, but I’m sort of looking for more obscure aeroplanes.

Member for

16 years 7 months

Krupp-Germania Ks.Ib

Can't think of anything with a greater wing span. :)

LOL @ Krupp....

Does anyone have a good drawing of this one?

Member for

18 years 3 months

xb-70

Member for

15 years 5 months

Convair YB-60...202ft wingspan MTOW 300,000 lbs

Member for

15 years 11 months

I have some interesting material relating to the proposed Zeppelin Z.SO 523, which had it been completed would've been the largest aircraft in existence in 1945, with a span of 229.6 Feet and a length of 127.9 Feet.

The material is an original Jan 1945 Ministry of Aircraft Production/Directorate of Technical Development document (marked secret!), put together from captured intelligence which is part of a file from the Gloster Aircraft Company design office, full of what at the time was all highly sensitive and secret information on axis aircraft desgins. Somewhat spine chilling to read, especially the Me 262 file!

Anyway, back on track..although never built, the Z.SO 523 was at the time a proposed really big aeroplane! :D

Member for

16 years 7 months

I have some interesting material relating to the proposed Zeppelin Z.SO 523, which had it been completed would've been the largest aircraft in existence in 1945, with a span of 229.6 Feet and a length of 127.9 Feet.

The material is an original Jan 1945 Ministry of Aircraft Production/Directorate of Technical Development document (marked secret!), put together from captured intelligence which is part of a file from the Gloster Aircraft Company design office, full of what at the time was all highly sensitive and secret information on axis aircraft desgins. Somewhat spine chilling to read, especially the Me 262 file!

Anyway, back on track..although never built, the Z.SO 523 was at the time a proposed really big aeroplane! :D

Sounds interesting, are there any drawings of the Z.SO 523?

Member for

16 years 7 months

Convair YB-60...202ft wingspan MTOW 300,000 lbs

Lovely aeroplane!

Member for

15 years 11 months

Sounds interesting, are there any drawings of the Z.SO 523?

There are a mere two concept type drawings in the file, straight from the captured documents.

I'll try and scan them, though being rather aged they're not too sharp.

In the meantime, think Me 323 (on which is was roughly based) only much bigger!

Member for

15 years 11 months

here you go..

Interesting stuff!

Attachments

Member for

16 years 7 months

Thanks a million, it looks fantastic!

Member for

18 years 2 months

Hi...

Wasn't there a Seaplane built by the Germans around the mid 20's - early 30's, that flew the Atlantic... :confused: Sorry forgot who built it, might have been a Dornier though...