The Ageing effects of combat on Pilots and aircrew

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 3 months

It has always struck me the ageing effect that the strain of combat had on Pilots and aircrew would be interested to see other picture comparisons although i know not many made it right through the war on operations.
Here are two pictures of Sdr Ldr Glaser DFC the first in 1940 and the second in 1945 after 3000 operational flying hours. You can certainly see the strain in His face.

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

You only need to look through old albums of Great War photo's to see the change that any form of combat engenders in those so engaged. The 1,000 yard stare. A guy I was at school with had that look after a tour of Northern Ireland in the late 1970's.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

14 years 3 months

Despite the quality you can clearly see the toll battle has taken and not surprising!

Member for

15 years 2 months

Many young 'boys' rapidly become men during armed conflicts, whether in the air or on the ground.
In modern warfare, where women can now be at the sharp end, is this trait likely to be reflected in the fairer sex?

Member for

20 years 6 months

Interesting thought.

Most aircrew were very fit (compared to the rest of the population) throughout the war as they left training.

Malnutrition, illness and disease had a far swifter and more fundamental effect, in places like the Far East and on Malta, on the physical health of people in combat.

The mental strain and wear and the possible psychological effects were enormously variable from individual to individual, of course, but despite claims to the contrary by or for some people, mental decline of various kinds (concentration, acuity, 'piece of mind') was inevitable for all eventually.

Another example of all of these factors would be the photos of 'Screwball' Berling after his wounding and at other times.

Also worth bearing in mind that most of the Western Allies were able to rotate aircrew out of combat for periods. The Germans famously only got occasional leave, and fought until their end...

Regards,

Member for

20 years 6 months

In modern warfare, where women can now be at the sharp end, is this trait likely to be reflected in the fairer sex?

Good question, the answer's obvious, I suspect, in that it won't be much different; training and tasking defining a lot of how people cope, irrespective of many other factors like gender.

But why do we always forget all those Russian women fighter and bomber crews of W.W.II? Women in aerial combat is not new - it's just new to the west.

Regards,

Member for

24 years 3 months

James.

The cumulative effects of anticipation, particularly amongst Bomber Command personnel, can't be ignored either. Breakfast, battle order, air tests, lunch, a brief rest, an operational tea, briefings, suiting up and transport to the aircraft, and only then finding the operation is scrubbed. How do you unwind from that process with the prospect that the same thing will have to be done again tomorrow? Worse still, how about the crews who are half or three quarters of the way to the target only to be forced to return due to mechinaical failure? Then the possibility of encountering flak or fighters on the way back. If they survive that they are then told it doesn't count towards their total. Let alone the risk that their early return may be misconstrued as the crew not having the appropriate offensive spirit. I wonder how many crews went to their deaths in aircraft in which they should have returned early but felt unable to because of the prospect of being tainted with the stigma of being LMF?

Regards,

kev35

Member for

20 years 6 months

Absolutely, Kev.

I think one of the key things to consider is that mental and psychological issues varied from individual to individual, and while external factors were the drivers, the individual's ability to function, cope or even remain oblivious to risk was almost impossible to predict in detail, in the short term. On the other hand, physical decline due to poor food (e.g. on Malta) disease and illness is generally much more quantifiable with a number of inevitable symptoms which would affect their combat efficiency.

Interesting thread!

Member for

15 years 8 months

The comparison in these two pictures of Oswald Boelcke has always haunted me. It doesn't even look like the same young man.

Attachments

Member for

16 years 3 months

The ageing effects of combat on pilots and aircrew

I have been especially interested in the effects of war on women and children.Those left behind can also be seriously affected. Women and children, mothers, fathers, all trying to cope with wartime situations and hardships, food shortages, bombing, working all day and fire fighting all night .... and worried about those at the sharp end. A look at the wartime Mass Observation papers shows what happened to those at home. Many also suffered from stress related illnesses. There are no winners here.