Lowestoft Zeppelin Raid?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 2 months

I had originally assumed this to be a relic of a Zeppelin raid on Lowestoft in April 1916. However, I can find no trace of such a raid althought there does seem to have been a German Naval raid. Any ideas? [email]lannoy@btopenworld.com[/email]

Attachments
Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Give this address a go.

[email]enquiries@lowestoftaviationsociety.org[/email]

Mark up your email FAO Bob Collis, he is the local air historian who has helped me in the past and who is also very knowledgeable.

Brian.

Member for

18 years 10 months

L21 was shot down off the coast of Lowestoft on 28th November 1916, but that's clearly not April! The only one downed anywhere near that date would be L15 which came down off Margate on 31st March 1916. After that, no airship was downed near the UK until William Leefe Robinson shot down SL11 in September at Cuffley

Member for

16 years 6 months

How about my thinking that the piece mounted and dated may have been damaged "on the ground" by the "Zepplin raid " ?????
Can anybody identify the item, is it from a Zepplin ?????

Just my thoughts !

Keith.

Member for

18 years 10 months

Certainly makes a lot more sense Keith, not sure why I read it thinking it was off a Zepp, I think the inscription would be different if it was. Could be a confusion of dates - as mentioned, there was a naval raid in April 1916, however there was a Zepp raid (Navy airship L5) on April 15 1915