Duxford Air Show Fly-In Days

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years

Looks like the IWM are cashing in on people turning up for arrivals and practice. The Friday before Legends and the September show are now Special Interest Days and apparently could cost more to get in.

Experience the acceleration of excitement as Imperial War Museum Duxford prepares for The Battle of Britain Air Show.

See the museum site transform for one of aviation’s celebrated air shows, where historic aircraft will be flying in; pilots will be rehearsing their displays; traders will be preparing to sell their wares and re-enactors will already be getting into the wartime mood.

Enjoy the hustle and bustle as IWM Duxford prepares for the big event!

More information

This is a special interest day. Aircraft movements are not guaranteed and will be subject to weather and serviceability.

Further information and ticket prices will be available shortly.

Information released on 19 January 2010

IWM Web

Brian

Original post

Member for

19 years

Your point being? RIAT has been doing this for years!

Phill
www.outflankeduk.com

Point being that the IWM have never done this on a Friday before.

On the day ticket prices

Children (0-15 years inclusive) FREE
Adult (16-59 years) £18.50
Senior (60 years or over) £14.80
Student £14.80
Unemployed £9.25
Adult, Senior, Student - disabled £11.10
Carer (one per disabled visitor) free
Friends of Duxford Adult £14.80
Friends of Duxford Senior £11.80

Special 20% group discounts are also available

Brian

Member for

20 years 7 months

:confused::rolleyes: Oh brilliant,Friends of IWM look like they are going to end up paying twice then.If you are going to do that i trust there will be some guarantee of things happening.
If you pay for that and nothing happens or flies [unlikely i know] ,yet another way of cashing in i'm afraid.Alienating and flogging the cash cow.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Or trying to raise some desperately needed cash so they can restore/acquire more of the aircraft that people complain that they haven't got / done?

Member for

15 years 11 months

Or trying to raise some desperately needed cash so they can restore/acquire more of the aircraft that people complain that they haven't got / done?

No, I think they are milking the cow.

Member for

17 years 8 months

No, they are milking.

I pay £49 to be a FOD so I can look forward to a good week in July. Now I'm not going to rejoin and I'll pay £14.50 to go on one day.

Really p'd off! :mad:

And!!! As a FOD I get to pay an extra £14.80, as a normal visitor I pay an extra £2 !!

Member for

19 years 4 months

I guess that FOD members won't have the luxury of their fast-track(which is a joke) entry and will have to join the normal line of people getting in just so they can take your money. The website still has 2009 prices for FOD, anyone know if they are staying at that or going up?

Member for

20 years 7 months

LOL.I somehow don't think so.
I think lot of FoD and IWM members will feel ripped off.

Member for

15 years 11 months

LOL.I somehow don't think so.
I think lot of FoD and IWM members will feel ripped off.

Just a tad.

Member for

18 years 1 month

:mad: Utter madness, DX have made a big mistake their pushing people loyalties to the limit :mad:

Member for

24 years 2 months

If you are a F.O.D. whining on here is a good safety valve, but be certain you take the trouble to write or e-mail the powers-that-be at Duxford and tell them how you feel.

It worked before, when they were going to charge veterans to get into (I think) the VE Day show.

Threaten not to renew. It is the power you (we) have

Moggy

Member for

17 years 1 month

Agree with Moggy, and will be writing to complain especially as the content of an arrivals day is very hit and miss. From memory I don't think last years Friday before Legends had as much to offer as previous years. So another bewildered FOD, IWM what are you playing at!?

Member for

20 years 7 months

:) Well i am happy to write in,anyone know the best person and address at Duxford to get the correct person to read it?.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I would suggest that Richard Ashton would be the starting point.

The main contact e-mail is [email]duxford@iwm.org.uk[/email]

You might care to copy to [email]rashton@iwm.org.uk[/email] as that seems to be how the organisations e-mail addresses for lower functionaries are formed. No idea if it will work or not.

I will write an old fashioned snail mail letter as I often think this has greater impact.

Richard Ashton
Imperial War Museum Duxford
Cambridgeshire
CB22 4QR

Moggy

Member for

19 years

Winter opening 2010 onwards

Just to add to the view that the DX management are looking for new ways to raise funds by doing less, had this from a source....

As predicted the entrance fee to IWM-Duxford was raised from £16-00 per adult to £16-50 and the "proposed" closures are now to quote management "set in stone" so come the end of October hangars 2,3,5 and the Land Warfare Hall will be closed to the public. The entrance fee will be reduced by just £2-00 to £14-50 per adult!

So this Winter £16.00 gets you access to the entire site, next Winter a 'bargain' £14:50 gets you access to less than half the site..............

Member for

24 years 2 months

They'll be renting out pitches to the Caravan Club next......

Well, what will be the point of opening empty hangars? Or maybe winter storage for your Abbey...

Member for

14 years 2 months

So can you not join the Duxford Aviation Society as a 'worker' any more, and enjoy privileges that way? Seems their website has no membership details whatsoever for those wishing to volunteer (it states FoD for non-working members only) - is it a closed shop?

Back 'in the day' absoluely anyone could join DAS and it gave free, unlimited site access.

I don't remember paying for airshows, either (although it was 30 years ago, so memory may fail...)

Anyone on here a member of DAS?

Member for

20 years 7 months

:confused: How to encourage visitors i don't think.What happens to all those visitors from abroad on a once in a lifetime visit,so there's nothing of interest in hangars 2,3,5 and the Land Warfare Hall .
What a joke:mad:

Member for

24 years 2 months

Just to add to the view that the DX management are looking for new ways to raise funds by doing less, had this from a source....

As predicted the entrance fee to IWM-Duxford was raised from £16-00 per adult to £16-50 and the "proposed" closures are now to quote management "set in stone" so come the end of October hangars 2,3,5 and the Land Warfare Hall will be closed to the public. The entrance fee will be reduced by just £2-00 to £14-50 per adult!

So this Winter £16.00 gets you access to the entire site, next Winter a 'bargain' £14:50 gets you access to less than half the site..............

Unless something has changed recently, the closures are for the "winter season" not permanently...

Member for

24 years 2 months

I am still a DAS 'member' volunteer - though to be such I had to attend x number of days to qualify for any 'privileges'.
Some DAS volunteers fell under the canopy of the IWM recently and therefore did not need to be a DAS member to carry out their volunteer tasks - I opted to retain my DAS membership as well (even though I have to pay a yearly sub to do so).

Ashley,
Still a bit short-sighted - people still want places to visit during the winter. And somewhere that provides a covered attraction/s even if it does involve a stroll, would no doubt be somewhere they'd go to.
Would they close Lambeth IWM for the winter season? Or the RAFM?