Tempest fighters in Canadian units

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 4 months

Dear colleagues !

Who knows the information about the using of Hawker Tempest fighters (of any versions) by Canadian units - by RCAF units itself, or by RCAF units of RAF ?

The worldairforces.com site reported about one Tempest Mk.VI, which was used in 1946-1947 by RCAF. Is it true fact ? Maybe, there were more Tempests in Canadian use ?
And if somebody have any images of these Canadian planes, I shall pleased to see them.

Wait for answers.

Regards,
Flyer.

Original post

Member for

18 years 2 months

Only one Hawker Tempest was ever operated by the RCAF. The aircraft was in service from 1946 to 1947

Member for

17 years 2 months

There's a book I have by the voracious Canadian Aviation author, think his name is Mulberry/Millberry or something like that, which has photos of Canadians flying Tempests or Typhoons. Perhaps that may provide a partial answer to your question?

Unfortunately my copy is buried inside a box, buried deeper under other stuff while we are renovating, so I can't be more precise on the actual title for a couple of months.

Member for

18 years 2 months

There were three RCAF Squadrons, Nos 438, 439 and 440 Sqns, that flew the Hawker Typhoon during WWII.

Member for

18 years 3 months

There's a book I have by the voracious Canadian Aviation author, think his name is Mulberry/Millberry or something like that, which has photos of Canadians flying Tempests or Typhoons. Perhaps that may provide a partial answer to your question?

Unfortunately my copy is buried inside a box, buried deeper under other stuff while we are renovating, so I can't be more precise on the actual title for a couple of months.

That's "Typhoon and Tempest - The Canadian Story" by Hugh A Halliday - Larry (Milberry) - CANAV Books - was the publisher... ISBN 0-921022-06-9

http://canavbooks.com/Publications/TyphoonAndTempest/

Member for

18 years 3 months

Post war, Tempest NV999 had a short career with the Winter Experimental Establishment at Edmonton - flipping over in a field near Meeting Creek, AB and being written off in February of 1946.

Member for

24 years 3 months

W.E.E. Flight RCAF Tempest VN999 crash

Fellas this was a Mk V tempest that was flying south of Calgary with Blackey Williams when it got caught in a snow storm and wiped out. The a/c was written off and I believe one of the WEE guys told me she was locally scrapped.

Here is a file in the National Archives:

Reference: RG24 ,National Defence, Series E-1-b, Volume 4976
File: 620-38ER, Access code: 90
File Title: Tempest Aircraft - Technical Aspects.
Outside Dates: 1945-1947
Finding Aid number: 24-100

There is a WEE report on the testing of this Tempest while in Canada but have never been able to find in the archives.

As well I am sure the RCAF would have conducted a Investigation on the crash but not sure what the FILE number is or what Microfilm the Investigation Report is on. Don't have access to the findings aid.

Larry Milberry has a photo of it in 60 Years

Lee
www.CAHS.com (toronto)

Member for

19 years 10 months

..... flying south of Calgary with Blackey Williams ...

Lee
www.CAHS.com (toronto)

Hi
Was this the ex 406sq mosquito pilot ? or am I getting mixed up.:confused:
Cheers
Jerry

Member for

24 years 3 months

B. Williams and WEE Flight

Jerry,

Yep that's him. I had been trying to track him down over the past number of years as he was living in Washington state somewhere. I found his two sons living in Vancouver some years ago. Blacky, along with Jerry Garton and Ken Brown had successful WWII careers and went on to do some interesting things with WEE flight. Sadly I never got to speak with blacky about his WEE Spitfire and Tempest days as he died before I got a chance to speak with him.

Member for

19 years 4 months

Canadians flew the Tempest, but while in RAF squadrons.

Member for

15 years 4 months

...this was a Mk V tempest that was flying south of Calgary...

But here are reported about another Tempest's version - Mk.VI (see below):

http://www.canadianwings.com/Aircraft/aircraftDetail.php?TEMPEST-30

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/v2/equip/hst/tempest-eng.asp

Where is truth ?

Canadians flew the Tempest, but while in RAF squadrons

But our other colleagues have not written about this fact.

What numbers had those RAF squadrons ?
And more information - serial numbers and code letters of these Tempests, their quantity, etc... ?

Member for

17 years 2 months

That's "Typhoon and Tempest - The Canadian Story" by Hugh A Halliday - Larry (Milberry) - CANAV Books - was the publisher... ISBN 0-921022-06-9

Thanks for adding, frustrating not having easy access to my books.

Member for

18 years 3 months

Where is truth ?

But our other colleagues have not written about this fact.

What numbers had those RAF squadrons ?
And more information - serial numbers and code letters of these Tempests, their quantity, etc... ?

There was only ever one Tempest in Canada as mentioned (whether it was a V or VI, I don't know) it WAS NV999.

Following information is a quick glean from Halliday's book - the book is readily available from the publisher at the above web-address (CANAV Books)

As for the Canadians on RAF Sqns flying Tempests...
3 Sqn and 486 (RNZAF) Sqn - from April 1944
56 Sqn - July 2 1944 (transitioning from Spitfires)
274 Sqn - August 7 1944
80 Sqn - sometime before October 1944

By October their were the 5 squadrons on the continent based at B.80 (Volkel)

Some names??
274 Sqn... F/L John Malloy (Ottawa, Ont.) - EJ781
274 Sqn... F/O Frederick Mossing (Regina, Man.)
3 Sqn... P/O George Whitman - actually an American who joined the RCAF
56 Sqn... F/L Harvey Hoare (Lang, Sask.) - EJ534/A-56, JN869/D-56
56 Sqn... F/L John Ryan (Toronto) - JN864/C-56, EJ536/R-56
56 Sqn... P/O David Ness (Westmount, Que.) - EJ522/F-56, EJ536/B-56, NV963/US-C
80 Sqn... F/O John Garland (Richmond, Ont.) - EJ722, EJ667

By early February 1945 there were relatively few Canadians remaining on the Tempest Sqns.

May 4, 1945 F/O J.T. James was the last RCAF pilot on 274 Sqn.

Hope that helps.

Member for

19 years 7 months

Canadian Tempest was a Mk.VI

Where is truth ?

Flyer.

Tempest NV999, the aircraft used bythe WEE, was the fourth production Mk.VI. Externally similar to the Mk,V except for the additional radiators in the inboard leading edges of the wings and the tropical air filter beneath the centre-section, immediately aft of the radiator fairing 'chin'.
This was the only Tempest in Canada.

Member for

15 years 4 months

Thank You, dear Contrailjj and Cranswick, for Your detailed, undoubted and accurate answers !

My best wishes to all,
Flyer.