Meteor III incident at Stoke Orchard?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years

While browsing the PRO archives I came across the following entry under the CAA accident report archive:

"Meteor 3 (EE-493); Location: Stoke Orchard Airfield; Report No.: W2340"

It's dated April 1946.

This got me curious - does anyone have any more details?

Original post

Member for

19 years 1 month

As far as I can see, just one Meteor was lost during April 1946......

23 April 1946

245 Squadron
Meteor III EE293
RAF Colerne

Causality

F/O. Desmond William Machray Crawshaw

The pilot was making a single engined landing crosswind but he allowed the aircraft to stall and it spun into the ground.

Details from 'Final Landings' - C. Cummings

Hope this is a help

Regards
Peter

Member for

24 years 2 months

Meteor 3 (EE-493);

EE493 was on delivery from Glosters both engines cut due to fuel blockage and aircraft belly landed Stoke Orchard 9.4.46 (Flt Lt A P S Cloke from 2 FP (2 Ferry Pilots) OK aircraft repaired at Glosters until crashed again on 12.5.48 and then turned over to Maintenace Serial 6604M

Member for

16 years

Thanks all.

I've been researching the history of Stoke Orchard for a while and this stood out because of the date. I know Stoke Orchard ceased to be used by the RAF for flying late 1945 although the WAAF school took over the buildings after.

I was thrown a bit as I knew Gloster had the two factories just north of the airfield and I first I wondered if the aircraft had been at the airfield in relation to that - but then logic kicked in and I realised you probably wouldn't operate a meteor from a grass aerodrome.

I assumed it was an emergency or such, thanks for confirming it.