728 Naval Air Squadron

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 4 months

Hi
For a forthcoming modelling project I am trying to collect information on 728 NAS based at HalFar. If anybody has information and photos of the many different types operated by 728 NAS I would be extremely grateful. Many thanks in advance.

John

Original post

Member for

20 years 8 months

My father was the last Air Engineering Officer of 728 NAS at HalFar and took the salute at the hauling down of the last White Ensign when the Air Station closed. At the time of disbandment they had Meteor T7s and TT20s on strength. Their task was target towing, as the Mediterranean FRU (Fleet Requirements Unit) and over the years flew many miscellaneous aircraft. I have a couple of snaps of the TT20's taken on the occasion of a farewell flypast they carried out with some Sea Vixens and Buccaneers from HMS Hermes which was on a visit to Malta. I'll post the snaps soon. I'm sure you'll get more detailed info from the experts on the site.

Member for

16 years 9 months

This months "Military Aircraft Monthly" has a very good piece on 728 Mossies at Hal Far. SAM Publications.
Best reference for serials and codes is "Fleet Air Arm Fixed Wing Aircraft Since 1946" by Ray Sturtivant,Mick Burrow and Lee Howard. Air Britain . Lists serials and codes,excellent book but expensive so try your library.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Hope these are of interest, 728's final flypast before disbandment at HalFar, bringing a long Fleet Air Arm association with HalFar and Malta to an end.

Attachments

Member for

16 years 9 months

Slicer,

Nice shots "862" is a Meteor TT.20 serial WM147. It was returned to RNAY Fleetlands 3.5.67 and Struck off charge . Total airframe hours 2556. The others are "863" WM260 and "866" WD785.

Member for

20 years 2 months

..expensive..

I prefer "value for money"...

...so try your library.

I think you mean try the Air-Britain online shop, don't you? ;):D

Member for

16 years 7 months

728 were also the main operating squadron to fly the Short Sturgeon TT.2, always an interesting type to base a project on!

Nice pictures slicer!

Member for

16 years 9 months

Lee,

Did not mean to offend :) I have my own copy of this excellent reference book . A lot of people are struggling in these cash strapped times we are in , that is why I mentioned getting a copy thru your local library.