121 Eagle Squadron Spitfire query

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 7 months

Does anyone have info on how to find out the serial No (and eventual fate) of a 121 Eagle Squadron Spitfire Vb code AV-R?

I have pics and of the then pilot whom survived the war, though be nice to put some detail to the airframe.

Original post

Member for

20 years 10 months

Does anyone have info on how to find out the serial No (and eventual fate) of a 121 Eagle Squadron Spitfire Vb code AV-R?

Yes - ask here! It was BM590, named 'Olga' and was well photographed in mid 1942 when based at Southend.

Member for

19 years 7 months

Yes - ask here! It was BM590, named 'Olga' and was well photographed in mid 1942 when based at Southend.

Ahh hah!!

Now, I found a profile on the net for BM590, however it had RAF roundels at that time, though I thought it must be a different machine.

Did 121 Eagle Squadron just paint over the roundels and adopt/leave the RAF squadron codes intact?

The nose art also changed from Olga when with our US friends.

Member for

20 years 10 months

Did 121 Eagle Squadron just paint over the roundels and adopt/leave the RAF squadron codes intact?
They generally modified the RAF roundels - painting a white star within the 32" diameter Blue part of the fuselage roundel, filling in the bits between the points with Blue and retaining the outer 2" Yellow ring intact and also the code letters.

Member for

15 years

As long as it was 121 Squadron, RAF roundels would have been carried; only from 29-9-42, when it was transferred to the U.S.A.A.C., as 335(P) Squadron, would the star have been added.
Edgar

Member for

19 years 7 months

Thanks for the replies Gents:

This is one of the pics I know of, I presume that this is whilst with 335 Squadron as the the roundel has beem altered. (The nose art has also changed)

Are there any other known photos of the airframe when painted with the stars and of this different nose art?

So this is definately BM 590, any idea of it's eventual fate?

Edit: (from aviationarchaeology.com)
421007 Spitfire Vb BM-590 13PhotoSq 7PhRecGp Sta234,Mount Farm,Oxfordshire,ENG BOEF 5 Luber, Vernon N. ENG Oxon, Oxfordshire, ENG
Appears to have crashed on 7th Oct 42 following engine failure with the pilot bailing out. I see it was then attached to 7th Photo Recc group, is that likely for a Vb to become a PR variant?

The pilot illustrated is Don Willis, he started off flying and fighting with the Finnish airforce, then escaped to Norway in a hurry where he then fought with them also, then escaped to Britain and joined the fight there. Quite a story in itself.

image source National Archives (NARA)

[ATTACH]180997[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

24 years 3 months

While people are extracting Spitfires from their photo albums, is it too much to hope that someone might have a picture of BM530?

Adrian

Member for

20 years 8 months

Thanks for the replies Gents:

This is one of the pics I know of, I presume that this is whilst with 335 Squadron as the the roundel has beem altered. (The nose art has also changed)

Are there any other known photos of the airframe when painted with the stars and of this different nose art?

So this is definately BM 590, any idea of it's eventual fate?

Edit: (from aviationarchaeology.com)
421007 Spitfire Vb BM-590 13PhotoSq 7PhRecGp Sta234,Mount Farm,Oxfordshire,ENG BOEF 5 Luber, Vernon N. ENG Oxon, Oxfordshire, ENG
Appears to have crashed on 7th Oct 42 following engine failure with the pilot bailing out. I see it was then attached to 7th Photo Recc group, is that likely for a Vb to become a PR variant?

The pilot illustrated is Don Willis, he started off flying and fighting with the Finnish airforce, then escaped to Norway in a hurry where he then fought with them also, then escaped to Britain and joined the fight there. Quite a story in itself.

image source National Archives (NARA)

[ATTACH]180997[/ATTACH]

If I remember rightly, some of the American PR units kept Spitfires for training and/or hacks. I've seen pics of clipped-wing Spit Vs, minus armament, used for these purposes (again, if I remember right) in one of the Flypast Specials.