Loss of No 1 squadron (RAAF) Lincoln Singapore 1954

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

I could do with a bit of help, identifying a No 1 squadron (RAAF) Lincoln which crashed on take off from Tangh in Singapore, possibly in 1954.

The pilot sat in the No2 seat was RAF Wing Commander Joe Holmes and he received a mention in despatches for bringing the aircraft down after it hit high ground just after take off and two engines caught fire.

Joe Holmes flew with 263 Sqn during the war and after he retired from the air force came to Jersey to teach at one of the local private schools. Sadly he died in 1993, but I am in indirect contact with his daughter who has given me access to his scrap book from 1939 to 1991.

Any help, would be appreciated especially if photographs could be supplied of the aircraft as well.

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

This may actually be Lincoln Mk.30A A73-40 which hit trees, lost two engines and ditched on I February 1957.

Anyone able to confirm this ?

Member for

20 years 6 months

From the ADF Serials website.

A73-40 Mk.30A 08/49 Converted to Long Range Navigation Aircraft 1949. Served with 2Sqn. Used in and slightly contaminated by the atomic tests off the W.A. Coast, and/or Maralinga. Served with 1 Sqn during Malayan Emergency. On one flight the aircrafts engines failed after the fire extinguishers were inadvertantly operated, they were obviously restarted - date unknown. On the 25/05/56 the tailwheel broke off upon landing at Tengah, the tail fins were badly damaged and couldnt be repaired until some new parts arrived from Australia. Pilot Sqn Ldr Britt. Had an Engine failure and struck Trees after takeoff at Tengah for a night strike and ditched 01/02/57. The crew survived with minor injuries. Pilot: Sqn Ldr E Goldner.

http://www.adf-serials.com/ (Go to 'RAAF Series 2' link, then click on 'A73 Lincoln' and then scroll down. For the frame alone: http://www.adf-serials.com/2a73.shtml )

Seems to be the only RAAF Lincoln listed as ditching, so that's a fit. Suggest you register and ask on Warbirdz (http://www.warbirdz.net/forum/) and I can do a bit more digging for you. Mark Pilkington I'm sure has more Lincoln data and access too.

Regards,

(PS: I've lost count of the number of pilots apparently credited with shooting up Rommel's car and not killing him. At last count, I think it was three different men, and units, and aircraft types.)

Member for

24 years 2 months

Thanks James.

I think it was noted after Joe Holmes' obit that he wasn't flying that day. Saying that I had an interesting evening flicking through his scrap book from 1941 to 1949. Some great photographs of Whirlwinds and Typhoons and the men who flew them.

Sadly I've not been able to take copies this time, however going to arrange a look at the rest of his memorabilia including his flying logs sometime soon.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Hi Ian,
Sounds interesting - publishable! ;) Let me know if you'd like any more digging. I'm sure Mark will be along shortly.
Regards,

Member for

24 years 2 months

Thanks James, not sure about publishable at the moment. I'll wait and see what gems his daughter turns up.