Aircraft Hangar Needed - Can you help???

Read the forum code of contact

Profile picture for user Phantom Phil

Member for

16 years 4 months

Wings over Northumberland is still very much in it's infancy and needs your help!

Can anyone please point me in the direction of a hangar that is up for disposal? Preferably already dismantled but anything considered! Maybe there is a hangar you know of that isn't up for grabs but has been out of use for years... Initially it will house live aviation as well as all things historic!

We are also after porta-cabins for a club house and a small collection of artefacts..

For updates please follow: www.tranwell.wordpress.com

Thanks in advance,

Phil.

Original post

Member for

14 years 9 months

Hi Phil,

This may not be of help but you never know. The former South Marston 'Vickers' airfield in South Marston (East Wiltshire) has the old paint shed up for sale at the moment. It is part of FS2 which is a big hanger. I don't know the agents details off the top of my head but will be driving past there later on today if this may be of interest - may be also able to get a few pics.

Good luck in your search

Gavin

Member for

17 years 3 months

There has been a couple of old blister hangars on ebay over the last 12 months, its worth keeping an eye out on there they do seem to turn up.

Member for

17 years 3 months

See the ebay thread a member has just bought a pair for 99p

Member for

16 years 7 months

Two or three Bellman (tall & short) type hangars will be going from Saints over the next year. They will be a serious challenge to move though.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Mod Message

Gavin, Graham, and a reminder for everybody else.

It is not necessary to quote the entire question every time you post. Please use common sense with the 'Quote' button. 'Reply' is much preferred.

Thank you.

Moggy

Member for

16 years 4 months

Thanks all! I will check them leads out and Gavin.. If you can get some pics, that would be great!

Any more possiblities guys?

Member for

16 years 4 months

Hi Pagen,

Can you get me info on these please?

Cheers,

Phil.

Two or three Bellman (tall & short) type hangars will be going from Saints over the next year. They will be a serious challenge to move though.

Member for

17 years 5 months

http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/371089-bessoneau-hangar-raf-odiham.html

Bessoneau Hangar at RAF Odiham

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all,
Just after a quick bit of advice. At RAF Odiham we have a Bessoneau Hangar that we believe is the last standing example in the UK. It was built, we think, for the First WW, but we can't be 100% sure. We know that there were hangars at RAF Odiham in the great war but we can't sure if this exact one was there at the time of the war. It was re-canvased by Rubb in the 1980's but the original wooden frame is still extant. In Jan of this year the hangar was condemed as the structure has warped in places and there are cracks in the original 1907 wood!!

We (the Stn) has been tasked with disposing of the hangar as DE have said it's of no further use. Currently, it may be heading for New Zealand, but I'm concerned that it may be lost for ever. This could be seen as an important part of our WW1 heritage and I believe that Lottery funding could be an angle to save it for the nation.

Has anyone got any advice on the historical element and if there would be anyone in the UK interested in keeping it here as an important part of our history?

Reported of late the show made the roof collapse, but some may be salvagable

Member for

17 years 3 months

I have it on good authority that the sale of the Bessoneau to the party in New Zealand is still going ahead.

Member for

14 years 9 months

Sorry Moggy

Won't do it again ;)

Regards

Gavin

Member for

24 years 2 months

Bless you :)

Member for

17 years 5 months

I have it on good authority that the sale of the Bessoneau to the party in New Zealand is still going ahead.

Hopefully that is to a certain Lord of the Rings director and his WW1 Collection, may not be in the UK, but it will be in good hands and will no doubt have money and love thrown at it :) and will be saved for future generations... Something that sadly appears to be lacking in the UK.

Member for

16 years 7 months

Hi Pagen,
Can you get me info on these please?

The demolition of East camp is getting under way now, and within it are three Bellmans. They are a metal framed and metal clad hangar and were designed to be 'transportable', though I wouldn't have thought the are very transportable now. Unsure on size, guessing 120' by 200', REF will know.
I think the contracts for demolition and removal are probably well in place, so I'm guessing one of the companies would need to be contacted aswel as DE.
Be a big job to dissassemble, and of course planning and reassembley will be something else.
I know that the Malta Air Museum looked at relocating a similar size and construction type from Luqa to Ta Qali, but turned out to be cheaper to build a new hangar.

First one was built at Usworth, so local link there.

Please PM your specific questions, cheers.

Member for

16 years 4 months

Cheers Pagen (please read your PM's)

There must be some semi-derelict examples around awaiting a good aviation home!

Member for

17 years 3 months

Gavin, Graham, and a reminder for everybody else.

It is not necessary to quote the entire question every time you post. Please use common sense with the 'Quote' button. 'Reply' is much preferred.

Thank you.

Moggy

Sorry Old chap ;)

Member for

17 years 3 months

OOPS did it again :o

Member for

14 years 9 months

'Vickers' South Marston, Wiltshire

Hi Phil,

As promised, here are some pics of the old South Marston airfield. There is two actually available (I have taken pics of the agents boards just in case this was of interest?)

Although very little is known about this airfield, it has an amazing history. The Spit mk 1's were made here as well as short Stirlings, the Luftwaffe tried to hit it several times but Oxford suffered as a result! If I can be of any help let me know

[ATTACH]181171[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]181172[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]181173[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]181174[/ATTACH]

Regards

Gavin

Attachments

Member for

16 years 7 months

Are they not hangars for let, as opposed to up for sale, removal and rebuilding?

Member for

14 years 9 months

Hi,

Sorry forgot to mention that they are aslo up for sale. In the area that these are located, it is very hard to get planning permission for housing. Developers have tried, but as there is very little chance of them being able to develop the land remains available.

There is a big for sale board but it had fallen down and doesn't look very attractive.

Regards

Gavin

Member for

16 years 4 months

Thanks guys, great hunting!