AP1086 Help - Can anyone help me with these 6D air tank codes?

Profile picture for user OneEighthBit

Member for

11 years 8 months

I'm trying to decipher some stencils on pneumatic air tanks and I've found so many variations it's making my head spin a bit.

I've figured out these are Dunlop tanks that have been around since before the war and were common in a lot of aircraft. I've seen a lot of 29.5" long ones with various stencils and declaring various max pressures. Generally the format is "Air, Max Pressure, Ref. Nos". E.g.

• Cosfords Lincoln - 450lbs sq/in max. 6D/AHO 4027 Issue.13.
  • Middle Wallop Horsa - 300lbs sq/in max. 6D/242 4027/32.

Based on these, and given that the tanks are the same size and shape I'm guessing AHO 4027 is the Dunlop part number and /32is the year of manufacture? the 6D corresponds with the AM code for Gaseous air equipment which seems to tally so...

Would anyone with a wartime-ish copy of AP1086 (or other source of knowledge) be able to see if 6D/242 corresponds to an air tank or if AHO 4027 is listed as such?

What I'm after is the stores ref for the smaller version of this tank which is about 23" long so that I can mark it up correctly.

Original post
Profile picture for user radarsdesk

Member for

12 years 7 months

This is taken from Alan Hulme’s (Air Ministry) publication for Section 5D and 6D info, the AP1086s I have are too late and don’t list the bottles you’re looking at.

If there’s any other info you need I’ll have a look to see if anything is in there.

regards

DaveAP1086 6D extracte

Profile picture for user 12jaguar

Member for

12 years 7 months

Which reminds me, if anyone has a pair of 6D/242 bottles for our Stirling cockpit, that would be fantastic

cheers

John

Profile picture for user OneEighthBit

Member for

11 years 8 months

Dave,

Thanks for that - I actually just emailed you before I saw this as there might be some info in AP 2337.

Interesting that you found AHO 4027/32 listed and it says Stirling. as I said, I saw one fitted to the Cosford Lincoln and there's one hung up in the Mk.II Horsa at Middle Wallop so it's wasn't and "exclusive" type it seems.

We're going to need to make up a set of bottles and at the moment 3D printing seems feasibly or just welding them up. I have dimensions, just need to figure out where to find 7.5" diameter steel hemispheres if I'm going to fabricate them from scratch.

Profile picture for user 12jaguar

Member for

12 years 7 months

If you get some made, can you consider adding a pair for us (obviously we'll pay), might get a better price break for a few more😄

cheers

John