Catalina G-PBYA immobilised on Loch Ness 17/10/20 and needs engine change (Edit)

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

4 years 6 months

The Catalina Society reports as follows-

''An update:  Miss Pick Up has spent the past week carrying out filming, first for a US TV series at RAF Halton then on Loch Ness for a UK series. It has been a rewarding and successful experience and both TV companies have been delighted with the results.

Unfortunately, after our last landing on Loch Ness yesterday afternoon, the starboard engine would not start and a failed starter motor was diagnosed. After assessing options, the Catalina was towed by an RNLI boat to a relatively sheltered bay on the Loch where she is now moored.

Sadly, before the RNLI rescue, another substantial rib-type boat impacted the Catalina’s rear hull and smashed the blister transparency. A plan is now in place and our engineer Garry Short will travel to Scotland and replace the faulty starter and patch up the blister sufficient for a short ferry flight to Inverness,  airport where a further action plan will be put in place prior to a return to our base at Duxford.''

Attachments
Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Oh no! Old aircraft conking out is hardly unexpected, but the collision sounds suspiciously as though pillockry might have been involved. I do hope not.

Member for

4 years 6 months

I hope it is not stuck up there too long - it might end being impressed into the Scottish Air Force !

Member for

11 years 4 months

I hope it is not stuck up there too long - it might end being impressed into the Scottish Air Force !

Or swallowed by Nessie! 😄

Member for

14 years 11 months

A Gofundme page has been set up as after inspection the engine problem is far worse than thought and requires replacement. This means lifting her out the loch, doing the work then lifting her back in to fly home (hopefully before winter sets in) 

https://www.gofundme.com/f/misspickup

Member for

20 years 7 months

Isn't the aircraft insured by either the owners or the film company , i hope they get it sorted out ok .

Member for

4 years 6 months

Trumper maybe like your car the engine is a consumable not covered unless the vehicle was a total loss

Member for

4 years 6 months

Two attempts were made to make a single-engine take -off, but sufficient airspeed could not be reached.

Crew Chief reports as follows-

''It was felt to be very important to at least try and get the Catalina off the Loch as there are no slipways there and very few options for beaching. Two attempts were made by our two very experienced pilots to safely take off on the good engine. This was unsuccessful as insufficient speed could be attained and no further attempts were made. In the end, the lifeboat team who took us in tow were able to take us to a mooring buoy where, in darkness, we safely secured the aircraft.

All focus is now on replacing the broken starter motor and effecting a temporary repair on the port blister to safely fly off the loch in the next few days and fly the short distance to Inverness Dalcross Airport. It was very unfortunate that a fairly simple mechanical failure was compounded by an over-enthusiastic boatman, not one of our team. But accidents happen. I hope this clarifies the position.''  D.L

It was subsequent to this post that the more serious extent of the engine issues became apparent.

Member for

20 years 7 months

https://www.facebook.com/TheCatalinaSociety

Looks like she is out the water

Hot news from Loch Ness - Miss Pick Up is on dry land! The lift operation has been successfully carried out - a massive well done to our crew and all those involved, especially the team from Stoddart Crane Hire. This was the first part for us to have Miss Pick Up airworthy again... We are very grateful for your kind words and support via the gofundme campaign. Here is the link :

https://www.gofundme.com/f/misspickup...

Picture by our Chris Hodson

Member for

16 years 6 months

Well I’ve already donated so that is good news. Always make me smile when I hear / see that Catalina chugging around here.

Member for

4 years 6 months

Thanks to the success of the crowdfunding appeal, and the dedication of the engineers,  the Cat was today able to fire up the new engine.

Matt Dearden has today posted as follows-

''After just over a month since Miss Pick Up was stranded at Loch Ness, she finally has a working starboard engine again. In the words of our engineer, Garry, there’s still a few niggles to iron out but certainly less niggly than a broken driveshaft somewhere deep in an engine floating out on a Loch…

Our small team of volunteers has been working every single day on the engine change, spurred on by everyone who has so kindly donated to the rescue operation. We cannot thank you all enough!

Hopefully the niggles can be sorted over the weekend and when Garry is happy, when the weather is ok and when Miss Pick Up feels ready, we will launch! That will mean warming up both engines on the quayside, craning her on to the water (with suitable wind speed and direction for take-off), starting up and flying the ten minute hop to Inverness. We need to go to Inverness to refuel. Garry will take another look over the plane at Inverness and then, all being well, we will fly home to Duxford. Realistically we may need to overnight at Inverness due to the lack of daylight hours at this time of year.

Once again thank you all so very much for all the donations and do remember, any additional donations we receive now will go towards the estimated £25,000 cost to repair the damaged engine.''

https://www.gofundme.com/f/misspickup?fbclid=IwAR2hr8LMUpluFOuAJ-nuBduK…

Member for

19 years 2 months

Nice progress and lovely to see the generosity of people who are very fond of the Cat,hope they get some decent weather next week.

Member for

11 years 4 months

Just stepped outside this afternoon in time to hear the rumble of engines as the Catalina passed directly overhead on her way south. A pity it was a very low cloud base at the time! Maybe not spotted but definitely heard and she sounded absolutely lovely :)

Almost back home - she is spending the night at Tatenhill before returning to Duxford tomorrow.

Member for

4 years 6 months

Great news, I guess here return to Duxford will be delayed by the incumbent Met.
Well done to all who got her back in the air.

Member for

11 years 4 months

Glad she's safely home :)