Replica 1934 Kings Cup Air Race Trophy / Cup

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 9 months

I recently purchased this "replica" 1934 Kings Cup Air Race "Winners" Trophy/Cup via Ebay.

I assume it is an authentic minature of the formal Cup, and I assume it was given to one of the "connections"?

The Sellers description was: 

A solid silver trophy cup, fully hallmarked in London in 1932 with the maker’s mark S G for Garrard & Co. Ltd ( Sebastian Garrard ). The trophy was the King’s Cup Air Race 1934 won by Flight Lieutenant H S Schofield flying a Monospar St. 10. This replica was awarded at the same time. Excellent quality with a good gauge of silver, but unfortunately somebody has tried to remove the cup from its base ( apparently very solid ) twisting it and creasing the neck and small crack. Would have been in good condition. Comes with its original Garrard & Co. wooden base. The height is 7cms and width 9.5cms and weighs 102.4gms, and 175gms with the base.

I assume the aircraft owner got the Winning Cup, and the pilot/mechanic and key other team members got a "Replica"

Can anyone elaborate?

Do the original Cups exist in a single collection somewhere?

Attachments
Original post

Member for

9 years

Obviously, Kings Cup winners did not get to keep the cup itself. My understanding is that the replicas were given to the winners to keep. So this one would have been given to Schofield, the pilot of the 1934 winning aeroplane.