Thameside Aviation Museum & Hurricane L1599

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 8 months

Can anyone help with any Information.

Visited the Thameside Aviation Museum on Sunday, very nice collection of bits and pieces and very friendly staff.

However I had hoped to see a display of pieces from the recovery of Hawker Hurricane L1599  ex 56 Squadron Aircraft, which crashed near Chelmsford Essex on the 24th of april 1939, killing its Pilot Sgt Everts.

Does anyone know if there is a Display and I just missed it or recovered items are held elsewhere.

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

The prop boss for the Watts two blade sits in the museums main room with I couple of small pieces as not much of the aircraft was recoverd.due to the remains of Sgt Sidney Victor Evetts being found all recovery of the aircraft stopped..

The coroner and police attended the site to witness the removal of Sgt Evetts after this the landowner became reluctant to allow future plans to return.

The spade grip a very early Dunlop pat pending along with Sgt stripes and a few bits were in a small display case I will try and find a photo and upload here if I can locate the album and work out how to use the new forum. I think a photo exists on the website post excavation.

I hope this is of help.

Colin

Member for

14 years 8 months

Colin Thank you for the information, much appreciated,

with this new setup I have not worked out how to send pm.

Thank you again. Iain 

Member for

24 years 2 months

Good morning Iain. Not sure you can pm in this new format .

As a footnote. The spade grip from L1599 is the earliest with know history from a Hurricane and L1599 being the 53rd production aircraft. I remember the dig as if it were yesterday.must be around 42 yeas ago now.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Iain I have tried to add a photo but it seems we can't upload like the old forum sorry about this

Colin 

Member for

14 years 8 months

Colin Thanks for trying, I am still finding it hard to find my way around this new set up. Some bits I like others not.

Are you a member of any other forum based site on the internet.

Member for

24 years 2 months

No Iain but will try and get something sorted out so I get get the photos over.

Colin 

Member for

14 years 8 months

Hi Colin.

Thank you, I was given the e-mail address of Roger Pickett who I was told was also involved with the Group.

If so would it be worth me contacting him, and asking him to forward my details to you.

Member for

4 years 5 months

poisted by mistake here cant work out how to delete

Member for

14 years 8 months

Hi Colin, have left my number with David Thorndike. Iain

Member for

24 years 2 months

Will call over the next few days Iain had a bit of a hectic week.

Colin

Member for

14 years 8 months

Hi Colin

have sent you PM.

Iain

Member for

24 years 2 months

Thanks Ian will dip in it Tuesday and try to get a time to call you