So is the UK going to use Typhoon to replace the GR4

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 2 months

this on ARES:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_generic.jsp?channel=defense&id=news/awst/2010/02/22/AW_02_22_2010_p28-205565.xml&headline=U.K. AESA Radar Drive Focuses On Typhoon

We are essentially focussed on the F35 (which is not going to be cancelled)and a highly capable Typhoon using amongst other things, AESA to take over the advanced A2G role from the GR4.

have i read this right?:confused::D

Original post

Member for

14 years 9 months

If they are planning this, they really will have to buy substantially more airframes. The GR4 fleet alone is nearly the size of our total current Typhoon buy. They'd also need to do more than just add an AESA.

With the right funding for upgrades and new equipment I think Typhoon could be an excellent A2G platform (especially if complemented with UCAVS as necessary), but that investment just won't be there, neither will further airframe buys to get anything like a decent number in service.

Member for

16 years 2 months

Gr4 was slated to be replaced by the Future offensive air system, but that single system was binned in favour of a number of capabilities, more than likely consisting of UAVs and perhaps an additional buy of F35A (unless something else turns up)

Member for

14 years 2 months

so i one could read this report as suggesting that the RAF if moving to 2 manned systems- Typhoon and the F35.

Then the UCAV developments we have all seen (and those we haven't) would be on top of that.

So Typhoon becomes an electronic attack system?:confused:

Member for

19 years

Hope they are!