Oman in talks to buy Eurofighter Typhoons

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 4 months

Oman is in talks to buy Eurofighter Typhoon aircraft from the UK in a deal potentially worth billions of pounds and which could help ease the budget crisis at the Ministry of Defence.

Downing Street said yesterday the Gulf state had indicated its intention to buy the aircraft for the Royal Air Force of Oman. The decision came in the wake of "wide-ranging discussions" over the past three years between Gordon Brown, prime minister, and the Sultan of Oman "on the importance of the close relationship between our two countries". Number 10 declined to give details of how many jets Oman was interested in buying, but said the deal would sustain British jobs. Defence industry sources said the order could be for as many as 24 aircraft, as Oman has been looking to replace its 24 ageing Jaguar jets for some time. Oman has a close relationship with the UK which has supplied the sultanate with defence equipment for decades. The decision is potentially good news for the MoD which has been struggling with a budget shortfall in its equipment programme estimated at £36bn over the next 10 years by the National Audit Office. One of its largest - and most expensive - equipment commitments is the Typhoon. The UK is committed to buy 88 Typhoons from the aircraft's third production run as part of its membership of the Eurofighter consortium which also includes Spain, Germany and Italy. Pressures on defence budgets led the four nations last year to agree to split the batch into two chunks, with the first bought immediately and the second requiring commitments in 2011. Under that agreement the UK signed up for an initial 40 aircraft, although it was also allowed to count export orders to countries including Saudi Arabia towards its total so it only had to pay for 16 aircraft. Failure to take part in the agreement would have cost the UK an estimated £2bn in contractual penalties and would have led to thousands of job losses. A deal with Oman could potentially help to reduce the UK's commitment even further and help the MoD cut future expenditure. The deal is also good news for BAE Systems, Europe's largest defence contractor, which builds the aircraft together with European partners. The initial work is likely to take place at BAE's site in Wharton in Cheshire. "Oman is a country with which we have a long and valued relationship and we stand ready and willing to support any requirement it has," said BAE. An initial deal could be worth at least £1.4bn to the company but could lead to billions of pounds' of maintenance and support work. The multi-role fighter was originally designed to intercept Soviet bombers.

Article source here

Original post

Member for

15 years 8 months

Already posted under the news thread and Typhoon threads.

Doesn't seem to be any indication if this is part of the RAF allocation being flogged or part of a new order:(

Member for

18 years 10 months

IIRC Jackonicko once said that from what he'd heard, Oman wasn't interested in second-hand aircraft.

Member for

15 years 8 months

Hope this is the case, but it still doesn't rule out new aircraft from the original RAF allocation going to Oman, need more details.

Member for

14 years 3 months

so this will be 20 odd aircraft ? they won't replace jaguar with Typhoon on a 1 for 1 basis will they?

I am very pessimistic about the current governments treatment of this, but if Brown says it will help secure british jobs, then perhaps these aren't RAF allocated aircraft?

This is a stupid question, but is the Indian MRCA deal to replace Jaguar (amongst others) too?

That would be 2 Jaguar operators that had replaced Jaguar with Typhoon, which could be a factor in Typhoon's favour in india (although a small one i admit).

Member for

14 years 10 months

so this will be 20 odd aircraft ? they won't replace jaguar with Typhoon on a 1 for 1 basis will they?

I am very pessimistic about the current governments treatment of this, but if Brown says it will help secure british jobs, then perhaps these aren't RAF allocated aircraft?

This is a stupid question, but is the Indian MRCA deal to replace Jaguar (amongst others) too?

That would be 2 Jaguar operators that had replaced Jaguar with Typhoon, which could be a factor in Typhoon's favour in india (although a small one i admit).

The number being thrown around since the first inkling of this deal appeared over a year ago has been 24.

Hard to speculate on what planes they'll get though. It probably won't have much effect on MRCA in my honest opinion. I'm not very hopeful for Typhoon there, not because it may not be selected, but because the Indian Treasury seems to have veto power on anything and everything, and that means the US or Russia will undercut Typhoon with a cheaper and/or less capable aircraft.

Member for

14 years 3 months

24 Typhoons and 12 Block 52s.

Why? Thats overkill for Yeman surely and they are not planning to take on Saudi right?

This will increase RAFO capability massively.

Jobs for the (BAE) boys?

Member for

18 years 10 months

24 fighters isn't overkill for providing continuous air defence for a country the size of Oman. It's barely enough. 12 second tier fighters for strike isn't overkill. It's about the minimum viable force.

The most likely threat is probably thought to be Iran, not Yemen.

Member for

14 years 10 months

24 Typhoons and 12 Block 52s.

Why? Thats overkill for Yeman surely and they are not planning to take on Saudi right?

This will increase RAFO capability massively.

Jobs for the (BAE) boys?

As Swerve has said, Iran has become the major threat in the region and most of the Gulf states, Oman included seemed to be arming with an eye towards them. It's bound to happen when Iran sees itself as the leader of the region and no one else really likes it.

In your expert opinion, what should Oman have?

Member for

14 years 3 months

As Swerve has said, Iran has become the major threat in the region and most of the Gulf states, Oman included seemed to be arming with an eye towards them. It's bound to happen when Iran sees itself as the leader of the region and no one else really likes it.

In your expert opinion, what should Oman have?

Please, we can do without the sarcasm. I dont claim to be an "expert".

Oman is geographically not that close to Iran as other states (barring the small piece of land it occupies on the tip of Hormuz)

Its Amraam F-16s are just not for strike nor does it face constant air space violations.

Every nation has a right to defend itself. I just sense this deal if more a case of Oman helping Britain then vice versa.If it was number Oman needed, all it has to do is order 24 more F-16s. A much more cost effective solution c'est na pas?

Member for

14 years 6 months

If nations like Holland and Belgium each had 200+ f16's while not near to anything hostile... I think Oman is in a volatile arena. Just a few would not do much but I think it will be a warning to Iran. If Iran gets both sides of the Hormouz then no one can export anything.

Member for

14 years 10 months

Please, we can do without the sarcasm. I dont claim to be an "expert".

Oman is geographically not that close to Iran as other states (barring the small piece of land it occupies on the tip of Hormuz)

Its Amraam F-16s are just not for strike nor does it face constant air space violations.

Every nation has a right to defend itself. I just sense this deal if more a case of Oman helping Britain then vice versa.If it was number Oman needed, all it has to do is order 24 more F-16s. A much more cost effective solution c'est na pas?

If nations like Holland and Belgium each had 200+ f16's while not near to anything hostile... I think Oman is in a volatile arena. Just a few would not do much but I think it will be a warning to Iran. If Iran gets both sides of the Hormouz then no one can export anything.

Insig put it nicely. The threat from Iran has expanded, Oman has rightly decided to field a new, top of the range fighter. F16's would be kore cost effective, but then Typhoon would be the stronger option, in this case they obviously feel the need for the stronger weapon. Oman happens to be one of the closest countries to Iran across the Straits which is incredibly important strategically, plus Oman is a close friend of many of the countries Iran dislikes.

And you can't really ignore that "small piece of land", it'd be like the US ignoring Alaska during the Cold War. It's still part of their territory and needs defending. And the rest of Oman's coast isn't exactly far away from Iran either. Muscat is about 100 miles from Iranian territory.

Member for

14 years 3 months

Insig put it nicely. The threat from Iran has expanded, Oman has rightly decided to field a new, top of the range fighter. F16's would be kore cost effective, but then Typhoon would be the stronger option, in this case they obviously feel the need for the stronger weapon. Oman happens to be one of the closest countries to Iran across the Straits which is incredibly important strategically, plus Oman is a close friend of many of the countries Iran dislikes.

And you can't really ignore that "small piece of land", it'd be like the US ignoring Alaska during the Cold War. It's still part of their territory and needs defending. And the rest of Oman's coast isn't exactly far away from Iran either. Muscat is about 100 miles from Iranian territory.

As I said, I dont doubt Oman needs kit, but 24 Tyyphoons seems like a governmental to governmentak bailout for BAE rather then an urgent Omani requirment.

You also cannot compare the inventory of 2 frontline NATO states during the cold war to a country that has no land borders with any enemy whatsoever.

In fact, not only will Oman never be invaded by Iran, but if a regional conflict did flare up I imagine the Iranians would have their hands full dealing with everyone else. In addition they have never shown any hostility to Oman.

Member for

16 years

As I said, I dont doubt Oman needs kit, but 24 Tyyphoons seems like a governmental to governmentak bailout for BAE rather then an urgent Omani requirment.

You also cannot compare the inventory of 2 frontline NATO states during the cold war to a country that has no land borders with any enemy whatsoever.

In fact, not only will Oman never be invaded by Iran, but if a regional conflict did flare up I imagine the Iranians would have their hands full dealing with everyone else. In addition they have never shown any hostility to Oman.

they need Typhoons in order to take back Gwadar from Pakistan.
They also need Typhoons against Bulgaria. Very unlikely threat but you never know!

Member for

14 years 4 months

It may well be a spot of friendly nation to friendly nation back scratching, we can't rule that out as we don't know. Although not a military matter, Iran has been reported as threatening to impound airlines over the naming of the Arabian Gulf http://www.marketwatch.com/story/iran-threatens-airlines-over-arabian-gulf-title-2010-02-22 so an order for a high-spec fighter could be seen as a response that Oman doesn't like foreign powers stating what air-liners operating from its territory can write on a map. Not preparing for a shooting match as such but stating they're not in the mood to be pushed around.

Member for

15 years 8 months

They also need Typhoons against Bulgaria. Very unlikely threat but you never know!

:D:D:D:D GOLD!!!!!

Member for

15 years 3 months

:D

Clearly Bulgaria is the biggest threat :p

Member for

18 years 10 months

There are accounts that Oman is not pleased with its F-16s. The USA limits the weapons it will sell to Oman, or allow it to integrate with its F-16s (as it does with, e.g., the UAE). e.g. Oman may want to buy Storm Shadow, or a Typhoon-compatible (very easy modification) of the Black Shaheen Scalp/Storm Shadow variant: that is not permitted on its F-16s.

Oman has a similar land area to the UK. 36 fighters is a small number to cover that area. It is part of a regional alliance, & it expected to make a contribution to it if need arises: its proximity to Iran is therefore less significant than the proximity of its allies, but in any case, the capital is only a couple of hundred km from Iran, the most populated region is to the NW of the capital (i.e closer to Iran), & they have a maritime boundary in the Strait of Hormuz.

If you were to suggest that the UAE is over-armed, I would probably agree with you, but Oman? It's bigger than the UAE, & has more citizens. Will it be over-armed with 20% of the number of modern fighters?

Member for

14 years 6 months

.What is behind J-7 hotdog? A poster that makes fun of the Chinese Mig21 (J7) by calling it a hotdog. That same plane is doing 4 decades service with the Indian Airforce. Both the Mig21 and its derivatives have shown impressive records. Even these days the planes is a remarkable one. Anyway back to the topic. It beats me why someone should see the reasons of buying Typhoons by Oman should be relates to Bulgaria or Pakistani harbour called Gwadar. I have seen several posters moving towards good posting but unfortunately some do not follow. I have read Oman buys Insas. Insas is produced by India. I see no reason making strange remarks about that. I hope our friend here moves towards related and informative postings and not the usual anti Pakistan remark.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Beautiful!

:D

Member for

14 years 3 months

.What is behind J-7 hotdog? A poster that makes fun of the Chinese Mig21 (J7) by calling it a hotdog. That same plane is doing 4 decades service with the Indian Airforce. Both the Mig21 and its derivatives have shown impressive records. Even these days the planes is a remarkable one. Anyway back to the topic. It beats me why someone should see the reasons of buying Typhoons by Oman should be relates to Bulgaria or Pakistani harbour called Gwadar. I have seen several posters moving towards good posting but unfortunately some do not follow. I have read Oman buys Insas. Insas is produced by India. I see no reason making strange remarks about that. I hope our friend here moves towards related and informative postings and not the usual anti Pakistan remark.

I think his tongue was firmly in his cheek Insig. It was just a joke.