Singapore accepts first F-15SGs. . .

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 11 months

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/113752/singapore-stands-up-first-f_15sg-squadron.html

and a puzzle. . .

(forgive the ms paint)

edit: Looks like it's an ECM bump of some sort.

Attachments
Original post

Member for

14 years 5 months

Now that Singapore got their new SGs IAF can look forward to some DACT with MKIs and see how they compare.

Interesting. Singapore operates a number of F-16Ds in a configuration which is virtually identical to the F-16I, so that makes sense. I knew the F-15SG was not fitted with an ALQ-135 derivative (like the F-15K) but had no idea what EW system it was.

Member for

17 years 7 months

We're they delivered with the F100-229's or the original F110-129C's?

And wasn't there going to be an IRST?

Member for

16 years

lol, Australia has now lost its title for having the best fighter aircraft in Asia now with the F-15SG arriving.. and in only 2 weeks too!

Member for

14 years 3 months

Elta's salesmen have been busy. The same EW system is on F-16I.
Except that the EW suite is made by ELISRA not by ELTA...
________
Amateur tubes

Member for

15 years 2 months

We're they delivered with the F100-229's or the original F110-129C's?

And wasn't there going to be an IRST?

Yep. You can see it just above the Sniper XR pod in this photo. It is the L-M long wave IRST designed for the F-14D, though probably updated...

Lockheed Martin calls the system "Tiger Eyes" and South Korea ordered it for it's F-15K's too.

http://www.news.gov.sg/public/sgpc/en/media_releases/agencies/mindef/press_release/P-20081104-1/ImagePar/0/image/The%20F-15SG.JPG

Member for

15 years 2 months

Funny thing.. This IRST is not what the USAF F-15's are being upgraded with.

Member for

15 years 2 months

Development on the USAF F-15 IRST units has not even started yet. If it were just a pod change, they would not need the 4 years of development work that they have planned to start in 2010.

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt271/SpudmanWP/dff90019.jpg

Member for

14 years 3 months

I guess the problem it's not the sensor itsefl, but its integration.
________
M535i

Member for

24 years 2 months

I thought the USAF F-15C was to integrated onto the centre line hard point?

Member for

18 years 10 months

Very nice looking bird...

Nic

Member for

15 years 2 months

That is what Boeing is doing for the F/A-18E/F IRST installation. I haven't heard that they are doing the same for the Eagle.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/ELEC_IRST_Tank_on_F-18F_lg.jpg

Member for

18 years 7 months

To my understanding the pod will be installed under one of the intakes, in other words where the TGP of the F-15E is located. As C/Ds aren't wired yet this might be one of the reasons why it will take some time to integrate the system, next to the software wise integration. The F-15C's cockpit and avionics are very different from those of the F-15E and its even newer export variants.

Member for

13 years 11 months

Isn't the field of view rather restricted if the IRST is place under the intake or center line, especially for close in ranges? Although most other locations for IRST's is near the nose cone section, I've wondered whether even this is restrictive. For example, as in the Mig-29, SU-30, Typhoon, where the IRST is located at the top of the nose section of the fuselage, that blocks the field of view for low level targets, and vice versa if the IRST is located on the underside of the nose for high level targets. Wouldn't the ideal be to have two smaller IRST's, one located on the underside and one on top, for complete forward hemisphere coverage?