Today's RAF fly over following the BBMF above Buckingham Palace

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 9 months

Today's RAF fly over following the BBMF above Buckingham Palace

In celebration of the Royal Wedding today the BBMF was followed by modern RAF aircraft and the commentator mentioned the Tornados and Typhoon.

Did anyone recognise the RAF aircraft following BBMF which flew to the extreme left of the TV screen picture (Starboard winger in the flying formation) ?

Original post

Member for

17 years 7 months

http://babbleq8.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Royal-Wedding-Flypast.jpg

Member for

17 years 7 months

It's seem the only picture for now.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01883/flypast1_1883887c.jpg

Member for

19 years 5 months

My wife told me there was a helicopter as well.
Any photos?

Member for

14 years 3 months

My wife told me there was a helicopter as well.
Any photos?

Im pretty sure there was no rotary wing flypast
however I heard a Helo when i saw a bit of the drive? from westminster to Buck House, it was probably a police unit monitoring the crowd / route. Chances are this is what the wifey figure saw

Member for

13 years

The BBC live coverage showed the BBMF formation from above as they flew down the Mall - unless they were library clips very cleverly inserted into the live action, there must have been a TV helicopter off to the side and above the military formations.

Member for

14 years 5 months

A yellow SAR Sea King towing a flag flew down the Mall as Their Highnesses drove to Clarence House in Prince Charles Aston Martin.(Complete with L plates.)
Colin

Member for

15 years 9 months

[IMG]/IMG]

Hi Tango III
Thanks for this confirmation.

Member for

19 years 7 months

Sqn Ldr Duncan Mason who piloted the Hurricane, is to be the new OC at the BBMF from next year. He did a flypast that I booked last August over Blyton, and I caught up with him at LLA day at Coningsby in September. Bloody nice bloke. He cancelled the original flypast due for the Saturday in a Spit, but turned up the following day in a Hurricane!!! Top man. He later rang me when he landed at Blackpool, and after a brief conversation, I invited him for a return flypast on his way back to Coningsby later that day, to which he politely declined as it was 'off route' on the way back. Well at least I tried.

Nice to see Parky was in the Spit, although I'm surprised that the current OC Smithy, wasn't involved.

Good show by the BBMF as ever.

Member for

16 years 8 months

The Sea King flypast, if you can describe it as such, was the best flying at the event, very low and straight down the middle of the Mall, even the noise of the Volante was drowned out!
The main flypast did well considering the viz looked diminished for the jets.

Member for

15 years 3 months

My lass & myself were at work, (no closing early or a day off for us) she popped in the store I work in, she works in one a few doors up, on her lunch & mentioned there was a fly past of various aircraft, knowing that I how a keen interest in avition. We're both not realy interested in this nonsense and the fly past was the only thing that caught my attention. Basically, couldn't give a monkey's toss about it.

Anyway, nice to see them though, the aircraft that is.

I wonder if Willy wondered how often he'll spend "in the RAF" after seeing those flay past. Like his kid brother, he seems to spend more time on leave than he actually does in the in Granny's armed forces...Waste of time IMO.

As you can see I'm not a Royalist.:D

Member for

14 years 5 months

A yellow SAR Sea King towing a flag flew down the Mall as Their Highnesses drove to Clarence House in Prince Charles Aston Martin.(Complete with L plates.)
Colin

From todays East Anglian Daily Times,the Sea King was from B Flight,22 Squadron,based at Wattisham.
Colin

Member for

24 years 3 months

From todays East Anglian Daily Times,the Sea King was from B Flight,22 Squadron,based at Wattisham.
Colin

"ZH540"

Member for

18 years 7 months

No disrespect to anyone involved, but I can't help thinking that just 4 fast jets was a pretty poor show. I suppose it reflects the state of today's RAF. Any reason why the Red Arrows were not there?

Member for

15 years 6 months

I couldnt help thinking the same thing...
I mean I looked at the BBMF and thought if the cuts continue that could be the combat airpower of the once mighty RAF in a few years...
but in all seriousness why wasnt there a bigger display?
Isnt this one of the bigger occasions for which a big flypast is warranted??

Member for

15 years 9 months

I couldnt help thinking the same thing...
I mean I looked at the BBMF and thought if the cuts continue that could be the combat airpower of the once mighty RAF in a few years...
but in all seriousness why wasnt there a bigger display?
Isnt this one of the bigger occasions for which a big flypast is warranted??

There simply aren't that many aircraft available. Its surprising there weren't any Red Arrows though...

Member for

19 years 2 months

Traditionally I don't think there have been any large flypast for Rayal weddings. As for the Reds, they're still pre season training in Cyprus.:)

Member for

14 years 2 months

Any footage of the Sea King?

Had to laugh at one review of the fly past 'two Spitfires and a Lancaster...':eek:

Just glad they didn't claim there were any Harriers in the follow up.