Boeing vs Eurofighter vs Lockheed for KFX

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 4 months

So KFX is made with Lockheed then? Judging by the intakes ( F-22-ish) does it means they go for M2 performance?

Member for

12 years 2 months

So KFX is made with Lockheed then? Judging by the intakes ( F-22-ish) does it means they go for M2 performance?

F-X3 hasn't been decided so no foreign help other than Indonesia.

Member for

14 years 2 months

There are 1980s era wind tunnel models of British ASTOVL designs that look like the F22, but were nothing to do with Lockheed.

There are no more unique designs it seems:eek:

Member for

11 years 9 months

C103은 현재 LIG Nex1에서 개발중인 한국형 AESA(Active Electronically Scanned Array) 레이더가 탑재되며, 시제기 완성 후 차후 개량을 거쳐 동체 중앙에 AMRAAM(Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missile)급 중거리 공대공 미사일 4발 또는 중거리 공대공 미사일 2발과 1,000 파운드급 JDAM(Joint Direct Attack Munition)을 탑재할 수 있는 IWB(Internal Weapon Bay)를 가질 예정이다.

KF-X C103 is planned to have a Korean AESA being developed by LIG Nex 1 and after the prototype is finished it will have Internal Weapons Bays carrying 4 AMRAAM class medium range air to air missiles or 2 medium range air to air missles and 2 1000 pound JDAMs.

no sir, the model does not seem to have room for a bay if the size of those missiles are correct. especially with those semi-recessed missiles in the way.
no wonder Turkey left the project.

Member for

11 years 10 months

Race to the bottom?

I think, in design implementation, there comes a point where a common set of criteria will produce a common result. Requirements like stealth, high-speed, and enhanced situational awareness (i.e. good visibility) will bring everyone to the same conclusions. Throw in the "if it works for them, it will work for us" principle and very liberal practices around research gathering, some similarity is almost a given.

Just a thought...

Member for

12 years 2 months

no sir, the model does not seem to have room for a bay if the size of those missiles are correct. especially with those semi-recessed missiles in the way.

Those missiles would be pretty bad if you know...they didn't detach.

Member for

13 years 5 months

Conformal weapons bay still possible. Turkey wants equal status with South Korea (thus ownership position of 40% ROK, 40% Turkey and 20% Indonesia). While ROK wants to keep Senior Partner status with 2 Junior Partner (60% ROK, 20% Indonesia and 20% Turkey). That's the biggest contentious problem that made Turkey has not signed in with the project.

ROK wants the Senior Partner status (with one of the reasons) so they can speed up and maintain the design and development stages in order to keep up with the Time Frame of 2020 operational. Indonesia did not mind with Junior Status and followed with Korean agenda since for Indonesia it's a learning curve (kind of what Brazil did when join AMX program).

Member for

20 years 7 months

No weapon bays ?

In other forums (e.g. Secret Projects, here) models and CAD-screenshots clearly show internal weapon bays.

Attachments

Member for

13 years 5 months

In other forums (e.g. Secret Projects, here) models and CAD-screenshots clearly show internal weapon bays.

That's not official design from CRDC. What KDN sites reveal seems the design being choosen by CRDC for KFX which they called design #C-103.

Member for

18 years 10 months

There are 1980s era wind tunnel models of British ASTOVL designs that look like the F22, but were nothing to do with Lockheed.

There are no more unique designs it seems:eek:

As was said about the F-15's overall similarity to the MiG-15 in configuration... and the intake similarity between A-5 Vigilante, MiG-25, F-14, F-14, MiG-29, SU-27, etc... similar performance requirements + laws of physics = similar shapes.

Member for

11 years 6 months

no sir, the model does not seem to have room for a bay if the size of those missiles are correct.

You are right.

The model in the picture is said to be an old one hanging out at the KFX research center for public reception. The current one, which is yet to be unveiled, is said to be longer than the F-35.

The sources explicitly confirm an internal weapons bay as in F-22 and F-35, not a CWB or a weapons pod.

The KFX was too large for Turkey's liking. Turkey's had something small in mind, Gripen sized.

Member for

12 years 2 months

You are right.

The model in the picture is said to be an old one hanging out at the KFX research center for public reception. The current one, which is yet to be unveiled, is said to be longer than the F-35.

The sources explicitly confirm an internal weapons bay as in F-22 and F-35, not a CWB or a weapons pod.

The KFX was too large for Turkey's liking. Turkey's had something small in mind, Gripen sized.

Any bets on how long he lasts before getting banned?

Member for

11 years 6 months

Any bets on how long he lasts before getting banned?

Is this forum infested by Chinese mods? Then sure, I probably wouldn't last a week.

If not, I will be around as non-Chinese mods don't have any problem with me.

Member for

12 years 2 months

Is this forum infested by Chinese mods? Then sure, I probably wouldn't last a week.

If not, I will be around as non-Chinese mods don't have any problem with me.

Considering your track record I doubt it.

Member for

11 years 6 months

Considering your track record I doubt it.

Keep doubting then.

Member for

14 years 2 months

oooh how exciting. More drama.

I personally haven't seen anything objectionable yet though.

What is the in service date for this aircraft?

Accepting that this is a national industrial project rather than an attempt to lead the way in fighter technology, it looks like it could be successful.

Member for

11 years 6 months

What is the in service date for this aircraft?

2021 for Block 1(The one with external armament, no radio signal emission control, no LPI mode for the AESA radar, etc).

Unknown for Block 2(Full stealth with an internal weapons bay), but somewhere after 200th Block 1 is produced.

Member for

11 years 9 months

that is the old models C101 and C102, this is the newest one C103.
no room for a bay with that config and external pod
http://www.koreadefence.net/wys2/file_attach/2012/09/06/1346920226-85.jpg
http://www.koreadefence.net/wys2/file_attach/2012/09/06/1346920216-76.jpg

Member for

11 years 9 months

no room for a bay with that config and external pod
http://www.koreadefence.net/wys2/file_attach/2012/09/06/1346920226-85.jpg
http://www.koreadefence.net/wys2/file_attach/2012/09/06/1346920216-76.jpg

re uploading the pics of C103
http://i46.tinypic.com/15wazw7.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2j31f1j.jpg

Member for

11 years 6 months

Two separate and reputable sources confirm single YF-23 style internal weapons bay placed between the cockpit and the intake. The picture is just an early model, the real one was not allowed to be photographed but said to be about the size of a Super Hornet powered by two EJ2X0 engines. Imagine a lower-drag(This is not a naval jet so they don't need as much low-speed lift) stealth shaped Super Hornet and you will get the picture.

Seems that they are trying to minimize American content in the KFX due to the opposition from the US aerospace industry lobby, namely Lockheed Martin.

At the press conference held in Seoul earlier today, EADS CASA and Boeing reps voiced their willingness to join the KFX program, but Lockheed Martin refuses to.