is J-8I influenced by Ye-152?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years

according to a thread on secret-projects,

the Ye-152 formed the basis of the J-8I, which China welcomed since it was having difficulty creating an interceptor to meet its requirements.. any more details on this?

http://www.flyinthesky.it/images/mikojan/MiGYe-152-007A.jpg
http://music.jnu.edu.cn/air-net/WM-PIC/C-1/F-X/J-8/1200/J-8I1201.jpg

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yes, it was.

Member for

18 years 2 months

Yes, it was.

Perhaps, but it's unlikely the Chinese designers of the J-8 ever saw a Ye-152?

Member for

19 years 7 months

More likely that they took Mig21 as starting point and beefed it up to a 2 engine version

http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/108701.jpg
http://relojdeavion.es/IMAGENES/M21/mig21gra.jpg

Member for

16 years

More likely that they took Mig21 as starting point and beefed it up to a 2 engine version

that's what the Ye-152 is as well! :eek:

Member for

11 years 11 months

It is possible the two different design teams reached similar, if not the same, conclusion. I think Chinese intel got a look at the Ye-152. The similarities are too great. With exception to the nose, the aircraft are almost identical. The smaller F-13-style nose dominates Chinese versions of the MiG-21.

Member for

16 years

It is possible the two different design teams reached similar, if not the same, conclusion. I think Chinese intel got a look at the Ye-152. The similarities are too great. With exception to the nose, the aircraft are almost identical. The smaller F-13-style nose dominates Chinese versions of the MiG-21.

China actually made a big nose copy of the MiG-21
http://www.ausairpower.net/J-7III-PLAAF-2S.jpg

Member for

11 years 11 months

Not en masse and they certainly never exported them. Only a handful of big-nose MiG-21s were made in China. The F-7 and derivatives took the roles that would have been for the MiG-21MF/bis copies (F-7III).

Member for

24 years 3 months

Perhaps, but it's unlikely the Chinese designers of the J-8 ever saw a Ye-152?

They did. All Chinese aircraft from 1949 were delivered by the Soviets or assembled by the Chinese. In the 50s thousands of Chinese students were educated in the SU including the aviation related institutes and that continued till today. Just in the 60s was a drop in numbers. The Chinese saw and learned something about the Ye-152A in 1959. But that was no more than a experimental prototype. Most parts of the weapon-system from AAM till radar were still under development. I am sure the Chinese were not briefed about all the related details for that future PVO interceptor of the 60s, when they learned about the Russian ideas about that. I am sure too the Chinese were briefed about fighters coming available from the 60s. In that years the technology jumped ahead and we saw a new fighter or upgrade of that every year nearly. The Chinese had neither the industrial base, technology nor technicans to built something like the Ye-152A even with the blue-prints at hand. The J-8 was the Chinese way to get an interceptor for two bulky AAMs at least similar the Russians. In the 50s all fighters were restricted by the lack of matching engines for the constant rising mission demands. The Russians used the R-11s still at hand because the demanded R-15 was not at hand in time. The Chinese were restricted to the R-11 as the strongest available fighter engine after 1959. It is just intresting to learn from the Chinese side to what degree the former tied relationship was cut or restricted. It is worth to rember that those were never cut in total from the Russian side at least as the ever present Chinese students did proof. ;)
By the way the Chinese could have choosen something like the Yak-25/28 for their PVO demands, but the Russians kept the related technology of electronics and AAMs from the Chinese till the alliance ended in 1961.
Plans were obtained in 1961 for the MiG-17PF interceptor and production began, as the J-5A (F-5A), shortly afterwards. At this time the Sino-Soviet split occurred, causing much disruption to industrial and technical projects, so the first J-5A didn't fly until 1964, when the type was already obsolete. A total of 767 J-5's and J-5A's had been built when production ended in 1969.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Not en masse and they certainly never exported them. Only a handful of big-nose MiG-21s were made in China. The F-7 and derivatives took the roles that would have been for the MiG-21MF/bis copies (F-7III).

Because from the 80s the Chinese got a rising Western support followed by Russian one from the 90s. All that allows China to modernise the own aviation industry and gives the capability to built more modern fighters for the mission demands up the present doctrine in force. Former mass-production as substitute of a lack of quality is no longer in need for smaller and smarter forces. The change in mind about that is still to notice by the limited production numbers for the present J-10 and J-11 f.e. :cool: