Saab Gripen & Gripen NG thread #3

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 5 months

The infamous DSI & more composites replacing metal, & other details,
otherwise i'm dead certain that the new model is not the major redesign the SwAF wanted by 2025-30, (prototype)
they got this model as to coincide with Swiss AF etc.

Member for

15 years 9 months

Loke's translation:

Right now a new test plane is being prepared, which, according to Buskhe, is one ton lighter, will have a new engine, new flight control system and new avionics.

Google translate:
http://translate.google.se/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.svd.se%2Fnaringsliv%2Fbranscher%2Findustri-och-fordon%2Fsmutsigt-spel-kring-gripen-affaren_7227541.svd

Member for

16 years 8 months

Quite the story there, Loke.

So for anyone in the vicinity of Linkoping, here is what a French spy might look like. Be alert!

http://cache2.artprintimages.com/LRG/56/5614/QPPVG00Z.jpg

Member for

14 years 3 months

damn! I knew I should've applied for the secret services... :D

Member for

15 years 5 months

Sweden's Saab Invests In Brazil's Aerospace Defence Industry

(Source: Bernama; published May 30, 2012)

RIO DE JANEIRO --- Sweden's premier defense and security company - Saab - is strengthening its relationship with a Brazilian company involved in aero-structures.

Saab, manufacturer of the Gripen jet fighter that has partnered in the past with the company Akaer, said it is now financially investing in the company, local media reported.The Gripen fighter jet flown by six countries and Saab wants to add Brazil to its list.

The investment is equivalent to a 15% stake in Akaer, whose advisory board will now include the Swedish company......

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/article-view/release/135557/saab-invests-in-brazil%27s-aerospace-defence-industry.html

Member for

14 years 3 months

er, I have an impression of "deja-vu"

didn't they already say that some six months ago? (SAAB & Akaer getting closer, etc... )

Member for

15 years 5 months

This is step 2:

strengthening
15% stake
advisory board will now include the Swedish company

in other words fusing

Member for

12 years 9 months

The infamous DSI & more composites replacing metal, & other details,
otherwise i'm dead certain that the new model is not the major redesign the SwAF wanted by 2025-30, (prototype)
they got this model as to coincide with Swiss AF etc.

Any CGI or model pics available of the Gripen NG with the infamous DSI and other mods ?

Member for

15 years 5 months

No, i havnt seen a single pic unfortunately,
but the first flight is expected this summer, so the roll-out should be imminent :D

Member for

15 years 8 months

Any CGI or model pics available of the Gripen NG with the infamous DSI and other mods ?

2 questions, please:

What is DSI?

Why is it infamous?

Member for

15 years 5 months

1] Diverterless Supersonic Inlet
2] You were fortunate to miss out on JSLLL4/ aka Ocean Boy/ aka PhilTheBelowed/ aka Thornado/ aka God knows what, arguments that
JF-17 is the next best thing since Ancher beer because of......--> yep, DSI

Member for

15 years 8 months

1] Diverterless Supersonic Inlet
2] You were fortunate to miss out on JSLLL4/ aka Ocean Boy/ aka PhilTheBelowed/ aka Thornado/ aka God knows what, arguments that
JF-17 is the next best thing since Ancher beer because of......--> yep, DSI

Thanks. Had a look at the JF-17 thread you mention. Trying read indeed.

Member for

14 years 6 months

Is DSI confirmed?

All I've seen is a Bill Sweetman (which probably makes it true -- he has a good track record) mention it in an article.
(A part from a SAAB mockup, which has a lot of structural changes from Gripen apart from DSI to for e.x. the canards and wing - much more changes than what has been proposed for Gripen E/F - unlikely to represent how the the E/F will look)

Member for

14 years 6 months

http://i.imgur.com/oRq6F.jpg

Volvo Aero exhibitition shows pciture of Flygsystem 20205 / FS2025 nose radome.

Picture shamelessly stolen from lander from mp.net

Member for

15 years 5 months

I already knew that trick, just wish @signatory is coming back.
Here is Skyward-G IRST
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=181031&d=1338802843

Member for

14 years 6 months

I wonder where signtory went :( Hope it is not health related.

Member for

16 years 7 months

I wonder where signtory went :( Hope it is not health related.

X2

He completely disapeared. He was THE SAAB Gripen reference source on open forúns, i´ve seen him quoted in French and Portuguese.

Member for

15 years 5 months

I fear the worst in this respect, sadly.
A massive interest doesn't just end like that.

Member for

15 years 9 months

GMT, June 4, 2012 Brigadier General Jiri Verner, commander of the Air Force of the Czech Republic outlined how he was able to achieve a great deal for a small country following reorganization of the ex-Eastern Bloc air arm into a leaner force equipped with modern fighter aircraft, numerous helicopters mostly used for army support and a small transport fleet.

Key to Czech air defence is the fleet of 14 JAS 39 Gripen fighters, backed-up by 24 Czech-built L-159 ALCA advanced light combat aircraft. The Gripens are used exclusively for air defence while the ALCAs also do ground attack, forward air control (FAC) training and conversion training.

“It is a big mistake of some of our politicians and decision makers to call the L-159 a better L-39. I say it is more of a worse F-16,” said BGen Verner. With many common systems, the L-159 to Gripen conversion is “short and cheap and easy” he added.

A highlight of recent Czech air operations was undertaking the Baltic Air Policing mission from Siauliai air base in Lithuania in 2009. In addition to maintaining quick reaction alert at home, the Czech AF supplied four Gripens, supported by 75 personnel. The four-month rotation cost €1.6 million and saw eight real life intercepts of uncommunicative aircraft. Showing a slide of a Russian Air Force Il-38 ‘May’ ELINT aircraft shadowed by a Gripen, Brig Gen Verner described “The Aerof lot aircraft with special antennas, looking like a hedgehog”.

The Gripens were followed by a Luftwaffe Typhoon detachment with 200 personnel. “Only the Turks had more,” Verner added.

The Czech AF will return in August 2012 for another air policing stint.

The Czech AF is particularly proud of the Silver Tiger award won at the first NATO Tiger Meet exercise they attended with the Gripen in 2009.

“I consider that the trophy means we are fully accepted as a NATO member and I would love to keep that going after 2015 [when the current Gripen lease agreement is due to expire] and that our politicians make an excellent decision for the future.”

http://www.defpro.com/news/details/36061/?SID=85f08f2c0e53b11ceded4b6cadb36574

Member for

14 years 1 month

I fear the worst in this respect, sadly.
A massive interest doesn't just end like that.

Last post of him recorded on 1st July 2011