RuAF News and Development Thread part 11

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 5 months

Well luckily the Ka-52K is not Serbian. ;)

Member for

11 years 7 months

Well luckily the Ka-52K is not Serbian. ;)

It's just two different routes really. From what I gather katran is some kind of proto-Slavic for something (like soil) seeping with a thick dark fluid, tar-like, wet coal, like bitumen or what have you. For reference:
http://www.slovopedia.com/22/202/1634761.html

I don't know of any contemporary Russian word that directly traces back to that particular piece of etymology but it seems to be incredibly old and well established in certain Slavic contexts.

As far as the Ka-52K is concerned the name is obviously taken from an order of sharks (Squaliformes) that are called katran in both Russian and Ukrainian (a word that is probably derived from the Greek word for the same shark, κεντρόνι/kentroni, which I would guess, I'm not entirely sure, itself derives from the term stinging/to sting - κεντύ, as the sharks in question tend to possess stinger-like venomous spines).

But venomous spines aside, these sharks are tiny and not very intimidating. The venom in question is mild as well, bee sting-like tops. Then again a certain amount of modesty is always good, quite unlike the mighty dragons and blades of thunderous glory that we keep hearing about. Is it just me or does that kind of have an effect opposite to what is (presumably) intended? :p

Member for

16 years 11 months

It's just two different routes really. From what I gather katran is some kind of proto-Slavic for something (like soil) seeping with a thick dark fluid, tar-like, wet coal, like bitumen or what have you. For reference:
http://www.slovopedia.com/22/202/1634761.html

I don't know of any contemporary Russian word that directly traces back to that particular piece of etymology but it seems to be incredibly old and well established in certain Slavic contexts.

As far as the Ka-52K is concerned the name is obviously taken from an order of sharks (Squaliformes) that are called katran in both Russian and Ukrainian (a word that is probably derived from the Greek word for the same shark, κεντρόνι/kentroni, which I would guess, I'm not entirely sure, itself derives from the term stinging/to sting - κεντύ, as the sharks in question tend to possess stinger-like venomous spines).

But venomous spines aside, these sharks are tiny and not very intimidating. The venom in question is mild as well, bee sting-like tops. Then again a certain amount of modesty is always good, quite unlike the mighty dragons and blades of thunderous glory that we keep hearing about. Is it just me or does that kind of have an effect opposite to what is (presumably) intended? :p

My Goodness Doctor, I enjoyed reading this :D :p

Member for

17 years 7 months

Seems silly that the name was used for one of their classes of boats, too.

Member for

24 years 2 months

It's just two different routes really...

Thanks Doc, great post!

Member for

18 years 7 months

It's just two different routes really. From what I gather katran is some kind of proto-Slavic for something (like soil) seeping with a thick dark fluid, tar-like, wet coal, like bitumen or what have you...

Correctly. "Tar spin" - "Спина как смола" (RUS) :)
Attachments

Member for

11 years 7 months

Correctly. "Tar spin" :)

So there you go, perhaps the Greek connection is wrong (despite how fitting it sounds) and it was tar all along? :)

Member for

13 years 5 months

http://contents.i.sdska.ru/_i/news/c/regions/74/news/2013/02/nd/27_nd_4.JPG

Looks like the new shelters are spreading.

Member for

20 years 4 months

Whats good about this new shelters ?

Member for

13 years 5 months

It exists. :p

Member for

14 years 1 month

Ain't that a PS job? While the tips of the white R-77s on the port wing are nicely in-line with the leading edge, the red R-77 with tan-colored radome on the starboard wing seems to be completely off.

Member for

15 years 3 months

Looks real enough for me..
Whats the story with the differend color on those missiles?

Member for

18 years 5 months

Ain't that a PS job? While the tips of the white R-77s on the port wing are nicely in-line with the leading edge, the red R-77 with tan-colored radome on the starboard wing seems to be completely off.

look very real even when zoomed in (a lot). Also, all the missiles have different crappy paint, and are at slightly different angle in relation to camera. I'm no expert though.

can anyone comment on versions and range of these R-77s? There is definitely at least two versions distinguishable.

thanks in advance.

Member for

13 years 6 months

Looks real enough for me..
Whats the story with the differend color on those missiles?

Training weapons?

Member for

24 years 2 months

The two outer white missiles on the port side are in line - the inner one is further back - the inner (of the 3) wing pylon is set further back - so the missile is further back - and not in line with the other two.

The same applies to the starboard wing - the red-with-tan-radome missile on the inner of the 3 wing pylons is further back - and not in line with the other two wing missiles.

Ken

Member for

11 years 2 months

Earlier it was reported that VVS is going back from the bluish grey monotone paint scheme to the previous lighter blue camo as on Su 35 01-04 and other variations but latest production units from all plants are still coming out in the bluish grey monotone paint scheme so the reverse to previous camo was a rumor?
Also when will the new planned pre 1943 style all red star going to be implemented?