Your Favorite Hornet/Super Hornet pics.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

10 years 11 months

What do you mean better air defence aircraft? Sorry I get too confused. :confused:

probably referring to either Commodore Steve Jermy or Commodore Neill Thomas who are experienced naval aviators in the Royal Navy, so it probably refers to fleet air defense.

Member for

15 years 2 months

That Warship "report" was from 2010 if I remember correctly, and the words from Sharkey Ward RN if I remember right as well. A chap that has a very special kind of hatred towards the RAF and anything it operates. He was once a top notch Fighter Pilot, scored 3 A/A kills during The Falklands War, however he's rather deluded. Unfortunately.

Member for

24 years 2 months

As you didn't read my whole message, I'll put it in full here.
Point 2 contains this: discus in an adult manner. (And, if you are under 13, you need the consent of a parent to be posting here. )
EELightning and Riaino haven't been warned because there was no problem.
Also, I asked you to check your private messages and reply to the one I sent you. Failure to do this will see your account deactivated.
These things should be discussed in private, but in this case you leave me no choice.

I hope I'm being clear.

Now please let's keep this thread on topic.

Thank you.

Frank

Frank, I'd like to ask nicely... Why are you giving me a forum rules? I've already read that before the link. Also i never harass anybody on the thread. It was Y-20, EELightning, and the Riaino guy. All i did is to stop with the talking about you know what. Also did you gave them warnings to? I'd like to know because if it is ONLY me then that's unfair.

Steven

Member for

10 years 11 months

probably referring to either Commodore Steve Jermy or Commodore Neill Thomas who are experienced naval aviators in the Royal Navy, so it probably refers to fleet air defense.

To defend carriers and air superiority? Is that what you mean?

Member for

10 years 11 months

To defend carriers and air superiority? Is that what you mean?

well with the 3rd person mentioned by ee.. that makes it 3 commodores who are in the hornet camp.
air superiority means the ability to control air space.

Member for

10 years 11 months

well with the 3rd person mentioned by ee.. that makes it 3 commodores who are in the hornet camp.
air superiority means the ability to control air space.

O Air Defence mixes me up. I looked at the definition and got. "Defensive measures designed to destroy attacking enemy aircraft or missiles or to nullify their effectiveness. Sooo :rolleyes:

Member for

15 years 2 months

Sharkey Ward shouldn't be taken seriously. As afore mentioned he has a special kind of hatred towards the RAF and what they operate, I recall one time he questioned the Tornado pilot's courage during Operation Granby (Gulf War I), which was the final straw for many, including his fellow serviceman in the Royal Navy. He also questioned/doubted the RAF's capabilities regarding the Tornado GR4 and Typhoon FGR4 during Operation Ellamy (Libya) and how the Harrier would be have been better suited and more capable than either with Carrier support. He failed to mention that the Harrier would have lacked in several areas such as range and endurance, weapons load, bring back capability, inferior recce capability - compared to RAPTOR... these are the sort of capabilities that were needed for long, sometimes lasting up to 9-10 hours at a time, deep strike sorties which usually turned into CAS missions at short notice while the aircraft were in the air. The Harrier was very capable, but it had limits. Those were the simple things he missed out in his "reports".

There are truths about the Super Hornet, it'd obviously make a better Carrier/ship Air Defence aircraft way out to see because obviously it's a Carrier-Based aircraft where as the Typhoon and Tornado obviously aren't. It's also, again obviously, a more capable A/G platform than Typhoon, currently. Tornado is also very capable in the A/G role... So there's a lot of abilities the Super Hornet has where others lack for now. However, things ought to be looked at more closely, especially when Sharkey has been talking. Some people just like to see other services burn, he has that mentality.

Member for

10 years 11 months

Sharkey Ward shouldn't be taken seriously. As afore mentioned he has a special kind of hatred towards the RAF and what they operate, I recall one time he questioned the Tornado pilot's courage during Operation Granby (Gulf War I), which was the final straw for many, including his fellow serviceman in the Royal Navy. He also questioned/doubted the RAF's capabilities regarding the Tornado GR4 and Typhoon FGR4 during Operation Ellamy (Libya) and how the Harrier would be have been better suited and more capable than either with Carrier support. He failed to mention that the Harrier would have lacked in several areas such as range and endurance, weapons load, bring back capability, inferior recce capability - compared to RAPTOR... these are the sort of capabilities that were needed for long, sometimes lasting up to 9-10 hours at a time, deep strike sorties which usually turned into CAS missions at short notice while the aircraft were in the air. The Harrier was very capable, but it had limits. Those were the simple things he missed out in his "reports".

There are truths about the Super Hornet, it'd obviously make a better Carrier/ship Air Defence aircraft way out to see because obviously it's a Carrier-Based aircraft where as the Typhoon and Tornado obviously aren't. It's also, again obviously, a more capable A/G platform than Typhoon, currently. Tornado is also very capable in the A/G role... So there's a lot of abilities the Super Hornet has where others lack for now. However, things ought to be looked at more closely, especially when Sharkey has been talking. Some people just like to see other services burn, he has that mentality.

EELighnting,

Ok we know you love the Typhoon but just please get out of this thread beacuse there's nothing to do with this Typhoon conservation. Even this isn't a Super Hornet vs Typhoon thread either. The Mods going to be angry and lock the thread. I suggest to you is to move on. Take that info to a person who is talking about the Raptor or something. This is a "Picture" Thread for the last time. Super Hornet is capable of BOTH Air Superiority and Air To Ground operations. I HATE when people say its capable of this. It's capable of BOTH operations, get it right.

Member for

15 years 2 months

Ok we know you love the Typhoon but just please get out of this thread beacuse there's nothing to do with this Typhoon conservation. Even this isn't a Super Hornet vs Typhoon thread either. The Mods going to be angry and lock the thread. I suggest to you is to move on. Take that info to a person who is talking about the Raptor or something. This is a "Picture" Thread for the last time. Super Hornet is capable of BOTH Air Superiority and Air To Ground operations. I HATE when people say its capable of this. It's capable of BOTH operations, get it right.

Well, first off. I'm not sure why you're getting cross since it's harmless to talk about aircraft in a picture thread. Check the Tornado and the Impressive Weapons Load threads. It's pretty often members talk about types on those and they're generally welcome.

Secondly. Y-20 Bacon suggested You might like an article regarding the Super Hornet being suggested to be leased to the Royal Navy (which is fine, Super Hornet related, on topic), and that it claims the Super Hornet is a better ground attack aircraft than the Tornado and Harrier, and a better air-defence fighter (and cheaper) than the Typhoon. I noticed you didn't question those claims... I pointed out that the article shouldn't be taken seriously because of what I stated in posts '64 and '69, which are perfectly valid to the discussion. A silly "report" should be addressed if posted in the first place because too many people get the wrong perspectives.

Thirdly. I wasn't comparing the Typhoon to the Super Hornet in a way that it'd start a 'Versus thread'. In fact, if you bothered to have noticed, I claimed the Super Hornet is a more capable A/G platform than the Typhoon. I also pointed out that the Super Hornet would make a better Carrier/ship Air Defence fighter out to sea, obviously due to the fact that it's a Carrier borne fighter where as Typhoon isn't. I.e. the Super Hornet is capable in BOTH A/A and A/G.

Fourthly. If you don't like what you read, or fail to grasp what people say, simply ask about it or don't.

Member for

10 years 11 months

[QUOTE=EELightning;2027732]

Well, first off. I'm not sure why you're getting cross since it's harmless to talk about aircraft in a picture thread. Check the Tornado and the Impressive Weapons Load threads. It's pretty often members talk about types on those and they're generally welcome.

I don't need to go there. It's a Tornado thread and i'm not interested in it. This is my thread and i'm interested in it.

Secondly. Y-20 Bacon suggested You might like an article regarding the Super Hornet being suggested to be leased to the Royal Navy (which is fine, Super Hornet related, on topic), and that it claims the Super Hornet is a better ground attack aircraft than the Tornado and Harrier, and a better air-defence fighter (and cheaper) than the Typhoon. I noticed you didn't question those claims... I pointed out that the article shouldn't be taken seriously because of what I stated in posts '64 and '69, which are perfectly valid to the discussion. A silly "report" should be addressed if posted in the first place because too many people get the wrong perspectives.
That report was from way back in 2010 like you claimed it was from 2010. This paragraph is some sort of…. I don't know

Thirdly. I wasn't comparing the Typhoon to the Super Hornet in a way that it'd start a 'Versus thread'. In fact, if you bothered to have noticed, I claimed the Super Hornet is a more capable A/G platform than the Typhoon. I also pointed out that the Super Hornet would make a better Carrier/ship Air Defence fighter out to sea, obviously due to the fact that it's a Carrier borne fighter where as Typhoon isn't. I.e. the Super Hornet is capable in BOTH A/A and A/G.
No comment

Fourthly. If you don't like what you read, or fail to grasp what people say, simply ask about it or don't.

Uhhh ok but i can get into that but i ignore it sometimes but when its about the Super i'll likely start a conversation.

Member for

10 years 11 months

EELighnting,

Stevie, he's also in the PAF thread talking about typhoon even though Pakistan and its neighbors don't even use typhoon. just ignore or click the black triangle button on the bottom left corner of the post to report to a moderator. no need to divert attention away from the thread topic. There's a typhoon thread on this page I believe.

As for super hornet, no one says its not capable for A2A..in fact its quite capable of defending itself. but its more famous for its air to ground and really air to ground wins war even though its not as sexy as air to air combat.
Libya was not won through air to air my friend!

Member for

10 years 11 months

Stevie, he's also in the PAF thread talking about typhoon even though Pakistan and its neighbors don't even use typhoon. just ignore or click the black triangle button on the bottom left corner of the post to report to a moderator. no need to divert attention away from the thread topic. There's a typhoon thread on this page I believe.

As for super hornet, no one says its not capable for A2A..in fact its quite capable of defending itself. but its more famous for its air to ground and really air to ground wins war even though its not as sexy as air to air combat.
Libya was not won through air to air my friend!

Well like that one guy said in the Block III super hornet upgrade. The Super or Raptor or T-50 won't get a chance in the A2A combat mainly because there's no more Air Superiority fighting in the air. Today it's mainly ground attack targeting. The Super is both popular in its A2A and A2G category. Super is a little more popular in A2A due to it's amazing slow speed dogfighting capabilities and its maneuvering ability. There for i don't like the Super as a bomber. But anyway A2A combat won't be resurrected in the next 20-30 years. If i guess

Member for

15 years 2 months

Fair enough. There's nothing wrong with discussing other aircraft as long as the aircraft the thread is originally about is largely orientated. The only reason Typhoon was brought up was because it was featured in the article Y-20 Bacon showed you. Same for the Pakistan thread, someone else brought it up before I did, wasn't me.

Member for

10 years 11 months

Fair enough. There's nothing wrong with discussing other aircraft as long as the aircraft the thread is originally about is largely orientated. The only reason Typhoon was brought up was because it was featured in the article Y-20 Bacon showed you. Same for the Pakistan thread, someone else brought it up before I did, wasn't me.

Ok we got it. Chill man

Member for

10 years 11 months

conservation

You mean conversation? For someone who is allegedly from the United States and 25 years old, your grammar and spelling are atrocious...

That was rude.

Member for

10 years 10 months

id like a eurofighter to kick a tomcats *** or another plane to kick the tomcats *** hehe an f-16 can really defeat a tomcat.

Member for

17 years 7 months

It looks rather dry compared to most peers. At least it looks alright from the front.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/5/7/7/0733775.jpg

Member for

10 years 11 months

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/9/3/9/0766939.jpg

Member for

10 years 10 months

Well like that one guy said in the Block III super hornet upgrade. The Super or Raptor or T-50 won't get a chance in the A2A combat mainly because there's no more Air Superiority fighting in the air. Today it's mainly ground attack targeting. The Super is both popular in its A2A and A2G category. Super is a little more popular in A2A due to it's amazing slow speed dogfighting capabilities and its maneuvering ability. There for i don't like the Super as a bomber. But anyway A2A combat won't be resurrected in the next 20-30 years. If i guess

it's basically true that the air superiority planes today won't get a chance in air to air combat and including the super hornet. super hornets a great air superiority fighter but it's actually called in reality... a Multi-role aircraft. is called that beacuse there both multi-capable in the 2 main roles. i see your point there but.
but in intercepting role the super hornet doesn't excel in that role. it's mach 1.8 and it can't really intercept but it doesn't look like a good intercepter but its still a fast plane. growler what people say doesn't mean it's true. there judging or critizing it. no matter what you hear.. it's a hoax or it can be true... but the super hornet is a superior platform and it's a good air to air craft/ bomber but i like the viper and i like the super so i give some love to the super.

Member for

15 years 2 months

Gone are the eras when there was an aircraft designed to meet a particular role, a dedicated aircraft so to speak, Jaguar, Lightning, Buccaneer, A-10, Harrier, A-4 Skyhawk, Tornado etc... those aircraft were capable in A/A but they didn't excel as they're too focused in other areas, (saying that, the Harrier has scored some 20+ A/A kills in it's FRS-1 form which is more than many aircraft I've listed).

The likes of the F-4 Phantom, amongst a small number of other types from around the world, were 'the future' back in those early days regarding Multi-Role platforms, as a result, today we have Rafale, Gripen, the Flanker series, Mig-29 series, F-35, F-15, Typhoon and of course the Super Hornet, & many others. All of these aircraft were designed with Multi-Role capabilities in mind.

It's correct that A/A combat will seldom happen, however it's rather comforting for the Air Forces and pilots to know their aircraft are capable for such an event should the need arise.