What if the West had not imposed arms embargo on China after June 4th 1989 massacre?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 10 months

Would PLAAF have opted for F-15 and F-16 or would it have decided to develop its own infrastructure like J-10 and J-20 or would it have gone for Russian hardware like Su-27 and Su-30?

Original post

Member for

13 years 6 months

I did hear PLAAF was interested in acquiring up to 250+ Mirage 2000s.

I don't think F-15s and F-16s would've gone to China but certainly technology would have. Indeed it was already flowing there such as planned Peace Pearl J-8C with AN/APG-66(V) or collaborations with French and Italians on Q-5 (Q-5K and Q-55M).

I could see transports ala C-130s and more helos ala S-70 going to China as well.

To be honest I think if Europe removed it's arms embargo, they could've got a good toe hold onto the Chinese market.

Hilarious thing is that China does Tianamen Square Massacre and US/Europe gets all high and mighty.

Saudi Arabia et al engages in many equally brutal repressions against Shias and they get all the toys in the world and the Saudi King gets to have lunch with Queen Elizabeth II.

Member for

11 years 10 months

JF-17 had its origin in F-20 which was the basis of the original Super 7 project.

http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/attachments/aircrafts-trains/752673d1361942190-jf-17-fan-club-super7oldaaaa_8xo_pakwheels-com-.jpg

http://www.hitechweb.genezis.eu/fightersOF02.files/chengdu_grumman_super_7_1.jpg

Member for

11 years 10 months

Hilarious thing is that China does Tianamen Square Massacre and US/Europe gets all high and mighty.

Saudi Arabia et al engages in many equally brutal repressions against Shias and they get all the toys in the world and the Saudi King gets to have lunch with Queen Elizabeth II.

Last edited by thobbes; 26th September 2013 at 01:22.

Unlike Saudi Arabia, China is well over 9 million square kilometers not counting Taiwan and South Tibet. China is a major political opponent of America on the world stage, Saudi Arabia is not.

Member for

11 years 10 months

IMO maybe the Chinese would have gone for some F-15s, then stolen the technology, and copied the whole stuff ala what they did with Su-27.

Member for

13 years 6 months

The US probably wouldn't have released F-15 just like they didn't release F-15 to Egypt.

Or the aircraft would've been degraded "monkey model" versions like Saudi F-15S.

Member for

11 years 10 months

And why would China need to buy F-16 when it can simply get a Lavi from Israel and copy it? :eagerness:

Member for

13 years

JF-17 had its origin in F-20 which was the basis of the original Super 7 project.

http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/attachments/aircrafts-trains/752673d1361942190-jf-17-fan-club-super7oldaaaa_8xo_pakwheels-com-.jpg

http://www.hitechweb.genezis.eu/fightersOF02.files/chengdu_grumman_super_7_1.jpg

The F-20 was 100% US made, why would it be used to upgrade Soviet (reverse)enginereed aircrafts? Any sources?

Member for

13 years 6 months

Also none of those pics have anything to do with F-20 Tigershark.

Original Super 7 was actually a J-7 derivative.

Member for

12 years 8 months

Unlike Saudi Arabia, China is well over 9 million square kilometers not counting Taiwan and South Tibet. China is a major political opponent of America on the world stage, Saudi Arabia is not.

so you think Saudi king control less area and people than China?. infact Saudi wields more power than China.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Pretty sure the Egyptian army has shot at least as many protestors by now and yet no one is even considering an embargo. But I digress...

In terms of American arms sells, those would come to an end with or without the massacre. In the post-Cold War world US had no further use of arming the Chinese against the Soviets. They would slow walk and then slap an unofficial embargo on China in the end. The formal embargo itself was useful in so far as getting the Europeans to comply. The only sales from the US would probably involve dual use machines for the civilian market, ala more Blackhawks, possibly Chinooks.

The French were the big losers in this. Mirage 2000 was high priority for the PLAAF. Aerospatiale would possibly license the Puma along with the other choppers they already licensed. I could see interest in the Breguet Atlantic and Scorpene class subs. Who knows China might have been a buyer of the Airbus A300 MRTT. They would at least look into the possibility of buying Rafaels instead of building J-15s for their carrier.