Which is tougher A10 or Su-25 (genuine question)?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 2 months

If you look at it this way any payload has nothing to do with survivability.. However the post was strictly about payloads, and some others "considered" PGMs are an advantage of A-10 in (terms of survivability), so that it would be further away from the SAM threat and not get shot down. I agree to that perspective; I believe munitions that can deal with the enemy better, quicker, or further away from the enemy is a KEY part of survivability.

Well then we don't disagree. But if a stand-off launch range is 'KEY' to an attacking aircraft's survival it would make such slow and heavily armoured types like A-10 and Su-25 fairly irrelevant - no wonder the USAF have been trying to get rid of the A-10 for years.

A-10/Su-25, are CAS aircraft, they are expected to operate right within range of enemy SHORADS.

Wrong. These aircraft would not survive most modern air defence systems like you mentioned (Tor-M, Tunguska), not a chance.

For a pre-planned attack againist a tank brigade that is protected by numerous Tor-Ms, Tunguskas etc, sole ability of carrying Kh-25MP, Kh-58U and Kh-31P (on newer variants), improves survival chance more than anything; armor, PGMs, maneuverability, DAS etc. In fact a pair of anti-radiation missiles can improve survival chance from close-to-zero to very-high.

Why have you got this fixation on the idea of the Su-25 carrying out SEAD? I don't think this is the assigned role of the Su-25 in RuAF service and they are unlikely to be equiped for the task. Su-24 and Su-34 are Russian SEAD attackers.

Member for

18 years 2 months

A-10 would have been a better plane if it had just the Su-25's Gast gun, or European-style twin 30mm revolver guns.

The USAF are pretty happy with the gun - it's what they specified 45 years ago - although sure, they probably wouldn't specify it again. Since when was a gun in any application ever considered over-powerful?

on a related note
can Georgia still produce Su-25s?

No.

Member for

11 years 6 months

it would make such slow and heavily armoured types like A-10 and Su-25 fairly irrelevant - no wonder the USAF have been trying to get rid of the A-10 for years.

True, if everything works as advertised. Eventually, when technology will guarantee every target can be detected and destroyed from long ranges, they will be irrelevant. USA, Russia or even Ukraine has aircraft to use PGMs from distance to bomb a specific location. And even in the latest conflicts like afganistan, georgia or ukraine A-10 and Su-25 is heavily used. So for today getting close to enemy is still a necessity and heavy armor is still useful.

Wrong. These aircraft would not survive most modern air defence systems like you mentioned (Tor-M, Tunguska), not a chance.

Why have you got this fixation on the idea of the Su-25 carrying out SEAD? I don't think this is the assigned role of the Su-25 in RuAF service and they are unlikely to be equiped for the task. Su-24 and Su-34 are Russian SEAD attackers.

We are not comparing assigned role, but available capability. Su-25 is capable of SEAD. IF needed, and no other aircraft is available, Su-25 can do it. And by definition of SEAD, it can not only survive, but also take out Tor/Tunguska or similar systems from distance.

For example both Su-25 and A-10 are capable of carrying A/G munitions on outermost pylons. Should I ignore this capability as well, simply because it isnt used in real life?

Member for

18 years 2 months

We are not comparing assigned role, but available capability. Su-25 is capable of SEAD. IF needed, and no other aircraft is available, Su-25 can do it. And by definition of SEAD, it can not only survive, but also take out Tor/Tunguska or similar systems from distance.

For example both Su-25 and A-10 are capable of carrying A/G munitions on outermost pylons. Should I ignore this capability as well, simply because it isnt used in real life?

Yes, I agree. Any strike aircraft can carry out a so-called SEAD or DEAD mission using whatever munitions they have at their disposal. In operation Desert Storm in 1991 the air war was begun with SEAD missions against the Iraqi radar network - performed not by the USAF, USN or RAF - but by the US army with their AH-64s.

Member for

14 years 1 month

Yes, I agree. Any strike aircraft can carry out a so-called SEAD or DEAD mission using whatever munitions they have at their disposal. In operation Desert Storm in 1991 the air war was begun with SEAD missions against the Iraqi radar network - performed not by the USAF, USN or RAF - but by the US army with their AH-64s.

In the context of this thread, SEAD aircraft are those who can perform such mission using dedicated anti-radiation missiles. Eastern publications mention that Su-25BM, Su-25UB(K), Su-25UTG and Su-25T/TM can also carry Vyuga system container under central fuselage hinges for control of Kh-25MP and Kh-58U/E ARMs.

Member for

12 years 5 months

And a video of Su-25 returning during Chechen war, starting from 5.50:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUq8DKJkZsw

So yeah, it is plenty tough not to mention afghan war. IMHO Su-25 has demonstrated more toughness than A-10 has ever done, then again A-10 has been hit less, presumably because of the much better active systems. Su-25SM3 should be an unbeatable combo.

Member for

13 years 6 months

A-10C has a clear electronic advantage over the cheaper Su-25SM upgrade. The latter does not even have MAWS.
Both vanilla birds are horribly outdated in any case.

Su-25SM3 really should be the bare minimum for any new CAS purchases/modernizations. Flying either the A-10 and Su-25 without DIRCM today is just stupid.

Member for

15 years 2 months

How big a difference is the 270 km/h slower top speed on A-10 ?

Member for

11 years 6 months

Su-25SM3 really should be the bare minimum for any new CAS purchases/modernizations. Flying either the A-10 and Su-25 without DIRCM today is just stupid.

I agree that DIRCM and MAWS is a must for any new modernization/purchase today, but I don't think flying without them is stupid or not having them automatically makes aircraft obsolete. MANPADS weren't a lesser threat in 1985. Its true seekers have improved in last 30 years, but so does the countermeasure flares. Vanilla Su-25 did well enough in 1985, IMHO it will do just as well today; by simply using flares, tactics, maneuverability and armor.

Member for

17 years 9 months

Su-25 also had redundant systems, and apparently much heavier armor than A-10. To quote myself (I've translated from a source I currently can't find it on my pc.)

755 kg was a total amount devoted for protection and only 2/3 of that weight was for the titanium armor if I recall correctly.

A-10C has a clear electronic advantage over the cheaper Su-25SM upgrade. The latter does not even have MAWS.

You know what would also be nice ? For MoD stop ******* around and provide the funding for Tula to finish Hermes ******* A's

Member for

15 years 2 months

755 kg was a total amount devoted for protection and only 2/3 of that weight was for the titanium armor if I recall correctly.

You know what would also be nice ? For MoD stop ******* around and provide the funding for Tula to finish Hermes ******* A's

Is Tula Hermes a two stage medium range missile system ?

http://www.russiadefence.net/t339-the-missile-complex-hermes-will-replace-ataka

Member for

12 years 4 months

interesting also:

the Pentagon has just confirmed that: “[…] US and Coalition aircraft have not been, and will not be, using depleted uranium munitions in Iraq or Syria during Operation Inherent Resolve,” meaning that the 30 mm Depleted Uranium ammunition has not and won’t be loaded onto the A-10s.

Extracted from the above Link