Military Aviation News

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Fighter variant of M-346 secures launch deal

Leonardo has secured a launch order for six examples of the M-346FA – the fighter attack variant of its advanced jet trainer – from a major "international customer".

Hm, I wonder if it could be Austria?
The Saab 105OE is in desperate need of replacement, but Austria currently has a technocratic government, which was said to defer any major decisions until after a new elected gov. has been installed.

Member for

8 years 6 months

Fighter variant of M-346 secures launch deal

Leonardo has secured a launch order for six examples of the M-346FA – the fighter attack variant of its advanced jet trainer – from a major "international customer".

Hm, I wonder if it could be Austria?
The Saab 105OE is in desperate need of replacement, but Austria currently has a technocratic government, which was said to defer any major decisions until after a new elected gov. has been installed.

can the FA version fly supersonically? I think its still limited to sub-sonic speeds.
I think the FA-50 from Korea would be a better fit for Austria.

Member for

24 years 3 months

No its subsonic.
But it would be a replacement for the subsonic Saab 105, not the EF which stays.

Member for

18 years 9 months

^^^ That's hardly the reason J20. They are upgrading their forces with more capable aircraft and armaments in an attempt to address the shortage they have in airframe and squadron numbers by adopting the quality over quantity method.

Member for

13 years 4 months

Exactly. Upgraded MiG-29s and Su-30MKIs are to fill the impending retirement of additional MiG-21 squadrons and not because of the scrapping of Article 370 and possible internal unrest as a result. The stocking up on AAMs is to do with War Wastage Reserves that need to be maintained and the fact that the number of sorties carrying live missiles shot up dramatically post the IAF's Balakot air strikes. Consequently, older stocks would've either expired or gotten that much closer to getting expired.

Member for

13 years 4 months

India expected to sign for more MiG-29s and Su-30MKIs in October

For those Russian posters that may be knowledgeable about the MiG-29 purchase, is the talk centered around the RuAF's MiG-29 SMT fleet or older MiG-29s that were left un-finished as was being reported earlier? Indian media had earlier reported those as older MiG-29s that were left un-finished and in storage but reportedly in very good condition when inspected by an IAF team. But it was never really confirmed.

From an earlier article

“These fighters were built in the 1980s but never assembled and flown,” an unnamed Indian Air Force officer reportedly told the Indian daily. “Our team visited Russia last month and found the MiG-29 skeletons to be in good condition.”

The individual offered no further details on the state of the aircraft parts, which have been in storage now for at least around 30 years. Beyond the officer saying India had been offered “a good price,” there is no word on how much the Russians want for the unassembled planes or to finish building them to a modern standard.

Member for

18 years 7 months

For those Russian posters that may be knowledgeable about the MiG-29 purchase, is the talk centered around the RuAF's MiG-29 SMT fleet or older MiG-29s that were left un-finished as was being reported earlier?

VKS doesn't - for the time being - plan to sell their MiG-29SMT, so if the IAF wants some extra MiG-29 it will be the "white tails" sitting unfinished in the MiG factory upgraded to MiG-29UPG (Izd.9.20) like the indians ones.

Member for

13 years 6 months

Sterne- you are not the same Red Samovor blog-owner, are you :) ?

Re. SMT it is a bit of a mystery. There are photos from Lukhovitsy from earlier this decade, which showed many stored air-frames (non-M), but since then Myanmar bought 20 and VKS bought 18 of those air-frames.
I have a hard time believing there are 21 almost completed frames ready for upgrading. Probably some of them will be retired VKS MiG-29s that will be "zero-houred" anyways.

The theory that they will be VKS SMTs comes from the Kursk unit replacing its planes with Su-30SMs. It is unclear where the MiG's will end up after.

Member for

18 years 7 months

Sterne- you are not the same Red Samovor blog-owner, are you :) ?

Re. SMT it is a bit of a mystery. There are photos from Lukhovitsy from earlier this decade, which showed many stored air-frames (non-M), but since then Myanmar bought 20 and VKS bought 18 of those air-frames.
I have a hard time believing there are 21 almost completed frames ready for upgrading. Probably some of them will be retired VKS MiG-29s that will be "zero-houred" anyways.

The theory that they will be VKS SMTs comes from the Kursk unit replacing its planes with Su-30SMs. It is unclear where the MiG's will end up after.

Yes I am, old pseudo from long time ago and don't wanna create a new account. Not posting here often as English is not my mother tongue ;-)

I know -SMT from Kursk being replaced by brand new Su-30SM but it doesn't mean (not saying it won't happen, BTW) that these ones are leaving VKS for good. Anyway, they're a few Vanilla MiG-29 still needing to be replaced in the VKS... -SMT can be a stopgap measure before a definitive leave.

21 almost/near completed frames still standing in Lukhovitsy is not so shocking: MiG-29 production was in full swing when USSR disappeared. When you see how big MiG factory is and the annual output they had, the amount of unfinished planes is not so surprising.

#My2Cent