Military Aviation News

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 8 months

US Congress Moves Against Pakistani F-16 Deal

http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/2016/01/12/us-congress-moves-against-pakistani-f-16-deal/78712710/

The news was first reported by Pakistan's 'Dawn' media group on Tuesday, citing local diplomatic and congressional sources. It claimed the moves were being spearheaded by increasingly anti-Pakistani/pro-Indian lawmakers, naming and quoting Rep. Ted Poe, R-Texas, and Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, Calif., as examples.

The proposed deal was first revealed in November 2015, with a formal FMS notification made in early December.

Mmm... is Pakistan an ally in 'the war against terror' or not?

Member for

12 years 6 months

Russian Aerospace Force Continues to Update MiG-29 Fighter Fleet

Heading is not very clear. The MiG-29SMTs recently received were built from stored components, and were not aircraft in service. VKS has acquired many more Flankers than Fulcrums in recent years.

Member for

12 years 3 months

US Congress Moves Against Pakistani F-16 Deal

http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/2016/01/12/us-congress-moves-against-pakistani-f-16-deal/78712710/

Mmm... is Pakistan an ally in 'the war against terror' or not?

It's a very interesting news since it came somewhat related to Fort Worth and Palmade. It seems to be a powerful incentive for a move and we might see already the answer (and a turning point?):

Pakistan announces 'several' arrests over attack in India

The government announced [that] an investigation into the incident has made "considerable progress," leading to the arrest of several individuals from the Jaish-e-Mohammad militant group. All six militants who took part in the attack were killed by Indian forces.

Source:
www.myfoxboston.com

Member for

11 years 1 month

oops wrong thread.

Member for

14 years

Due to budget constraints I think the reasonable option would be some second hand Tranche 1 machines which were offered to Peru (from Spain) some time ago.
Can't see them buy a factory fresh Tranche 3 with AESA, to be honest..

Member for

10 years 11 months

Well, well, well Vietnamese Typhoons.

That is going make a news search very hard on google!

interesting no Rafale on the list. that's rare as many countries tend to seek relations (including weapons) with their former colonial masters. i.e India and UK, China with Russia, etc.

Gripen is probably the most appropriate, but the US and Typhoon will give them a better political connection perhaps.

Vietnam stands to benefit the most out of TPP, maybe they will go American.

Member for

15 years 8 months

Requirements for New Fighter Jets Are Being Redrawn, Canadian Defence Minister Says

The requirements for Canada’s next fleet of fighter jets are being redrawn as part of a thorough defence review ordered by the new Liberal defence minister.

Harjit Sajjan said his department is looking at the procurement of military equipment, the size of the Canadian Forces and the theatres where they operate.

“We will consult with the public, through MPs, committees, stakeholders and think-tanks, so that we have a vision in line with our foreign policy objectives,” he said in an interview Tuesday.

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/article-view/release/170406/canada-preparing-requirements-for-new-fighter%3A-minister.html

Member for

15 years 8 months

Air Force to Delay A-10 Retirement, Thanks to ISIS

Air Force officials say they still need to retire the A-10 to make room for newer warplanes, but that the calculus for its sunsetting has been thrown off by commanders’ demands for the Warthog now.

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/article-view/release/170405/us-air-force-to-delay-a_10-retirement.html

I'm confused. I read on this forum how mistaken I was to believe that the Warthog was a better CAS aircraft than F-35. How come commanders want to retain it (and as a result delay F-35 introduction by not freeing up maintenance personnel to cross-train onto F-35)? If the Warthog is inferior to F-35 for CAS, those very commanders should have been clamouring to dump the A-10 ASAP to accelerate the introduction of a superior platform.

Member for

12 years 3 months

Air Force to Delay A-10 Retirement, Thanks to ISIS

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/article-view/release/170405/us-air-force-to-delay-a_10-retirement.html

I'm confused. I read on this forum how mistaken I was to believe that the Warthog was a better CAS aircraft than F-35. How come commanders want to retain it (and as a result delay F-35 introduction by not freeing up maintenance personnel to cross-train onto F-35)? If the Warthog is inferior to F-35 for CAS, those very commanders should have been clamouring to dump the A-10 ASAP to accelerate the introduction of a superior platform.

You might be willing to choose your word carefully. If a MPs, committees, stakeholders and think-tanks hear such from you, Canadians might end-up replacing their 18 with a lot of A10.

Think about it: it's twin engined and has a gun...