SAAB Gripen and Gripen NG thread #4

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 3 months

6th generation..... courtesy of Bill Sweetman. He alone can label fighter generations. Facts not withstanding that there is no consensus among the various nations and services to what characteristics will define the next generation of fighters.

Who needs that when you can just slap a label on a warmed over design from the 1980's with COTS (though current and modern) avionics, and software. Personally, I would view the titular "sixth generation fighter" as possessing next generation technology expanding the boundaries of what is possible today (and at low technology readiness levels), not the best of what is mature and available today.

Member for

12 years 2 months

Absolutley right FBW. Only LM is allowed to use X GenTM denomination

Member for

12 years 2 months

Gripen has good chances there, thanks to sweden giving strategic depth. Can anyone here tell meto what degree Finland is integrated into NATO systems (i know it is not in NATO, but things like L-16 etc.?)

Member for

15 years 2 months

Finland has received 5 companys deals to replace 65 Hornets.

Member for

12 years 2 months

Yep. I guess this summer Arctic challenge exercise will be strongly looked at...

Member for

12 years 2 months

Gripen has good chances there, thanks to sweden giving strategic depth. Can anyone here tell meto what degree Finland is integrated into NATO systems (i know it is not in NATO, but things like L-16 etc.?)

Yes, Finns extensively use Link16 nowadays, and in MLU Hornets had the domestic datalink replaced with Link 16 (to chagrin of some...). Similar what Swedes did with Gripen A/B -> C/D.

Like the LCA (Tejas) the Gripen just arrived to late to the party. If, they had fully funded both and got them into service a good decade ago. The could have cut into F-16 sales big time. Yet, they took their time and were way to conservative in their development. Now they both missed the boat....

Member for

18 years 10 months

Gripen has been in service for over 20 years. The first production aircraft was delivered to the RSwAF in 1993.

Member for

15 years 9 months

Gripen has been in service for over 20 years. The first production aircraft was delivered to the RSwAF in 1993.

Gripen is a light fighter. If you cannot stretch to the cost of operating a medium fighter, you cannot buy a medium fighter.IIn that situation f you need to retire your current fleet, you have 2 choices: 0 medium fighters or as many light fighters as you can afford.

Member for

15 years 2 months

What was achieved with the wider LG ?

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"gripen_CE.jpg","data-attachmentid":3851222}[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

24 years 3 months

What was achieved with the wider LG ?

Improved turn over angle

Member for

18 years 4 months

So once Finland has satisfied the niceties of a procurement competition which block of F-35 do people think Finland will start taking deliveries from?

Member for

15 years 9 months

Gripen E has gone into serial production and is expected to enter SwAF service in 2021 rather than in 2023, as previously expected

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...ets-sa-455831/

SAAB seem to have a habit of doing what they said they were going to do or better, don't they? Congratulations (in advance) to them.

I wonder when Brazil will order more. Talking to a SAAB representative at Farnborough last year, he was saying that SAAB was hopeful Sweden would be increasing the size of its order, too. They also have a good chance of picking up an order for 30 or more from Switzerland and the recent cancellation of second hand F-16's from Israel makes a Croatian order a possibility. I assume that pursuing selection in Canada is a waste of time but that selection by Finland remains a possibility.

Order book might double in size in the next 2/3 years?

Member for

12 years 2 months

i do not know if SAAB or Rafale or whatever, but finnish market look much more open eyed than other recent ones.

Member for

11 years 10 months

Do anyone have an overlap image of Gripen NG over F-16?

Member for

18 years 10 months

Improved turn over angle

And space for more internal fuel.