The Russians and Chinese have learned from the F-14 ?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 4 months

There is nothing wrong with "copies", when someone comes to a similar technical solution for his weapon-system built later on. None is to blame about that, when he adopted a similar solution to skip some otherwise expensive avenues to explore.

Nothing wrong with copy no.
They were after all nemesis. USSR and US. So they spied on each other. I would say Tu-160 also is a copy of B1.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I would say Tu-160 also is a copy of B1.

Yes - almost an exact copy..........

http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/modl_tu-160_trump_files/Photo_128.jpg

Ken (I can't find a sarcastic emoticon)

Member for

15 years 5 months

agree with flanker man, a faster bomber isnt a copy, its evolution,
now Tu-4 otoh share some similarities of B-29

Member for

8 years

Nothing wrong with copy no.
They were after all nemesis. USSR and US. So they spied on each other. I would say Tu-160 also is a copy of B1.

Many aviation enthusiasts are quick to point out the similarities between the Russian Tu-160 Blackjack and the American B-1 Lancer. The assumption seems to be that the Tupolev design is a crude imitation of the Rockwell design.

Where that theory runs into a brick wall is when you take into account the design heritage of the Tupolev design, which clearly shows precursory hints at the ultimate design years before the B-1 program was even launched.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread199317/pg1

Member for

8 years 4 months

agree with flanker man, a faster bomber isnt a copy, its evolution

You know the B-1A actually very fast until they realized speed is not the answer for SAM right ?. Modification of the intake on B-1B is what reduced its speed

Member for

15 years 4 months

You know the B-1A actually very fast until they realized speed is not the answer for SAM right ?. Modification of the intake on B-1B is what reduced its speed

Well its to the embarresment to US and kudos to USSR that Tupolev did it right.
Pretty sure Tupolev looked at the B-1 and said: - hey, not a bad idea!

The B-1B was not only too slow, but too small for any NC deterrence mission. Not big enough weapons bay for carrying any serious clubs.
The B-1 was supposed to be a jack of all trades in both convential and NC missions, but instead became quite limited in both camps.

But then again US started B-1 early in the 70's, so in hindsight its always easier to follow up from where other left off.

Member for

15 years 5 months

i meant, a supersonic bomber was only to be expected, russia wouldnt have had to see B-1 to build one.
ironically they cost so much to operate that relics from another age and museum, like B-52,
keep on

Member for

8 years 4 months

Well its to the embarresment to US and kudos to USSR that Tupolev did it right.
Pretty sure Tupolev looked at the B-1 and said: - hey, not a bad idea!

The B-1B was not only too slow, but too small for any NC deterrence mission. Not big enough weapons bay for carrying any serious clubs.
The B-1 was supposed to be a jack of all trades in both convential and NC missions, but instead became quite limited in both camps

The speed of B-1B was a design philosophy rather than US incapable of producing high supersonic bomber. The original B-1A with variable inlet can actually reached top speed of Mach 2.2 . However, USAF varius studies shows that with the development of SAM , high supersonic bomber would be no more survivable than the old subsonic B-52. Which indicate in the change of B-1B design, fixed inlet instead of variable inlet for RCS reduction and structure re enforce for low altitude mission below radar horizon.

The original B-1 also intended to have external weapon pylon for nuclear missiles too( another 22000 kg of payload if i recall correctly), however, that is restricted by START I treaty
http://i57.tinypic.com/20f4yuf.png
https://s28.postimg.org/mq7886snh/b1pyl.jpg

Member for

15 years 4 months

The speed of B-1B was a design philosophy rather than US incapable of producing high supersonic bomber. The original B-1A with variable inlet can actually reached top speed of Mach 2.2 . However, USAF varius studies shows that with the development of SAM , high supersonic bomber would be no more survivable than the old subsonic B-52. Which indicate in the change of B-1B design, fixed inlet instead of variable inlet for RCS reduction and structure re enforce for low altitude mission below radar horizon.

The original B-1 also intended to have external weapon pylon for nuclear missiles too( another 22000 kg of payload if i recall correctly), however, that is restricted by START I treaty
http://i57.tinypic.com/20f4yuf.png
https://s28.postimg.org/mq7886snh/b1pyl.jpg

Yes I know about the would be on B-1.
Extrernal hardpoints is a huge compromise, which was my point in my last post. Range and speed wise.

Member for

16 years 1 month

agree with flanker man, a faster bomber isnt a copy, its evolution,
now Tu-4 otoh share some similarities of B-29

Actually Tu-4 was exact copy of B-29, bolt by bolt. Stalin job to Tupoljev. Even admitted by Soviets.

Member for

8 years

Actually Tu-4 was exact copy of B-29, bolt by bolt. Stalin job to Tupoljev. Even admitted by Soviets.

This is true. The only truly shameless copy, bolt for bolt, is Tupolev TU4

Member for

18 years 8 months

From the history of the Tu-160 ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]251174[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

18 years 4 months

Well actually no the Tu-4 was not a bolt for bolt copy of the B-29, very close certainly but not exactly the same. There are differences some more significant than one would consider. Regardless of Stalin's orders many compromises had to be made and it is more accurate to say the Tu-4 is a reversed engineered B-29. There were absurdities in that process and they were forced to unnecessarily and slavishly copy systems that had better alternatives nevertheless there a changes from the engines, guns, radios, IFF and even the aircraft skin plus the conversion to metric.

The B-29 does have an ongoing influence to this day on Russian bomber design most notably the Tu-95 that has in effect the same fuselage dimensions width wise.

Member for

17 years 8 months

OT, I know, but regardless how the B-1/Tu-160 evolved it would been pretty interesting to see a fighter laid out like them. So instead of one 32,000 b st thrust engine you use four much simpler and easier to manipulate 8,000 b st engines with much smaller radar returns. Third World countries have cheap labor, so it probably fit them better than huge monolithic engines .

Member for

15 years 5 months

totally disagree there, the one part that is an expensive maintenance hog is the engine,
the less of em the merrier