Rafale 2018 Thread: Europe's best Eurocanard

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 11 months

Will those new Rafale be F4.2?

Yes.

AFAIK, the Rafale B358 will be the last French F3 aircraft to be delivered (next month).
The 28 remaining French Rafale of the tranche 4 to be delivered after the B358 will be F4.2 aircrafts out of the assembly line, even if they won't have all the F4.2 features immediatly. They will get them step by step between 2022 and 2025)
The F4.1 standard is supposed to be a software upgrade for all the F3 Rafale before the B358.

The main difference between F4.2 aircrafts and F3 retrofited to F4.1 aircrafts, is the hardware : The F4.2 will get the new GaN antenna, new OSF IR channel, HMD, cockpit updates...)

Member for

6 years 2 months

Hi Kovy,

have you done any new awesome photoshops lately?

Member for

12 years 1 month

This site claims the Rafale costs $115 Million each without initial spares, weapons, ect...

Rofl. Ajai Shukla. Permanent Rafale basher since he was denied a flight by DAssault. Funny.

Member for

12 years 1 month

According to "La Tribune", USA would be trying to block Rafale sales in Egypt due to a US component into SCALP missile.

Member for

19 years 9 months

Wouldn't they try to block SCALP sale (assuming this is true)?

Member for

19 years 9 months

The US may have issues with its equipment being exported on board a missile. Saying "USA would be trying to block Rafale sales in Egypt" is rather disingenuous imho.

Member for

12 years 1 month

Did you read the article?
Apart from that it woudn't be first time USA behave in such a way (see UAE satellites...)

Member for

12 years 3 months

Apart from that it woudn't be first time USA behave in such a way (see UAE satellites...)

The nerve.... after all France was bullied into signing the MTCR. Or wait, they were willing signatories until they wanted to export cruise missiles, I forget.

I’m sure it’s in everyone’s interest to sell cruise missiles to a country that recently went through several government upheavals. Maybe throw in a few ICBM’s and watch Rafale sales go through the roof.

Member for

19 years 9 months

You mean the US exercising its veto authority over export of technology it owns? Why wouldn't it if it feels that this is in its best interest? Does France not do that, or do the French not expect its government to look out for its own National interest when it involves sanction of arms sales, a known lever of NatSec policy?

"In view of the concerns of the Chinese side, the French Government has undertaken not to authorize any French enterprises to participate in the arming of Taiwan," a joint statement said. https://goo.gl/u2s515

Member for

12 years 1 month

Really, given the way new Egyptian regime is shaping up, I can't fault US at all if they're uncomfortable about selling them missiles.

Member for

12 years 3 months

Apart from that it woudn't be first time USA behave in such a way)

What is truly amusing would be a Dassault executive in India having to explain a situation similar to Taiwan’s “no strings attached” experience with French combat aircraft when tensions with China ramp up.
“Well, we planned to upgrade those Rafale... soon, Twice the cost for parts than US aircraft? Ummmmm...”

No need for Gallic fierte from French posters, I think the Rafale was an excellent choice for India, only giving Hallow a bit of his own constant misrepresentations and trolling.

Member for

6 years 2 months

yep I Agree with our tasty Fresh Burger Whopper
its really all about picking which export is the lesser evil for you

US - tight controls over spares/upgrades/stock
French - more flexible but will charge you twice as much as the Americans. Unless your enemy has more money
Swedes/Germans - you must follow their human rights philosophies or no spares
Russians - no spares to give, no cares to give
Chinese - spares made in China

Member for

12 years 10 months

This site claims the Rafale costs $115 Million each without initial spares, weapons, ect...

Ajai Shukla's just repeating what was widely reported at the time of the Rafale deal. The "bare-bones" cost to India i.e. the flyaway cost was -

Rafale C: €91.7 mil ($114 mil)
Rafale B: €94 mil ($117 mil)

Deal's breakdown

Aircraft: €3,420 mil
Weapons: €710 mil
Customization; ~€1,700 mil
Support & Spares: ~€1,800 mil
PBL: €353 mil

Total: €7,870 mil

Member for

12 years 3 months

Really, given the way new Egyptian regime is shaping up, I can't fault US at all if they're uncomfortable about selling them missiles.

And by the way, they don't need more Rafale and SCALP cruise missile. They need Scorpions and alike (not something that could not have been put together in a short time by Dassault... or Airbus (?)).

@VNomad: mind that we came around this value at the time by ourselves pretty easily. The great (yet unanswered question) already was what made for the other 100M$)?

Member for

18 years 10 months

The nerve.... after all France was bullied into signing the MTCR. Or wait, they were willing signatories until they wanted to export cruise missiles, I forget.

I’m sure it’s in everyone’s interest to sell cruise missiles to a country that recently went through several government upheavals. Maybe throw in a few ICBM’s and watch Rafale sales go through the roof.

A US dude (I just typoed IS instead of US) giving moral lessons about the middle east.

Thanks for the laugh!

BTW if true WTF were they thinking putting some US components in the Scalp?

Nic

Member for

12 years 1 month

[QUOTE]You mean the US exercising its veto authority over export of technology it owns? Why wouldn't it if it feels that this is in its best interest? Does France not do that, or do the French not expect its government to look out for its own National interest when it involves sanction of arms sales, a known lever of NatSec policy? [QUOTE]

Is that a joke? You already did the same joke on Eagle Eye contract lost by LM, trying to block it on completely unsensitive parts... For commercial reasons. US are doing the same, nothing to do with morality, US do not have any as far as business is concerned, specially in Middle East... Really..; US trying to lecture europeans about behabiour in middle east. Would be laughable if it was irony but...

Would you agree if France blocked some parts of F-35 AFTER an export market is signed? (there ares, tyres, obogs parts, many cabling, batteries...) .Or if Thales blocked HMDS due to obvious VALID patent infringement?

Member for

19 years 9 months

Would you agree if France blocked some parts of F-35 AFTER an export market is signed? (there ares, tyres, obogs parts, many cabling, batteries...) .Or if Thales blocked HMDS due to obvious VALID patent infringement?

Yes I would agree. If France wanted to do that then I would have no problem with it since that is France's right to control to whom and where technology part of its NatSec apparatus is sold just like the US or any other country. When you choose to bring in foreign companies into your supply chain you do expose yourself to this and at times it can become a problem that you simply have to find workarounds and execute and find solutions with alternative vendors.

Member for

12 years 1 month

Honestly Bio, i will answer you when (if it is revealed) one will know which parts are involved (really sensitive or just pretext).

Member for

11 years 1 month

Ah the French complaining about the limits of globalism. What do you mean we cant export missiles with american components in that not fair!