Rafale 2018 Thread: Europe's best Eurocanard

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 1 month

Originally posted in the News Thread:

"looks to be alive" = -"we are confident" ?
-"we dare you to think otherwise" ?
- "in all certainties" ?
- (staring at the front cover of a sailing yacht magazine laying on the table) "uh, I will be retired" ?
- "look, (pointing behind your left shoulder) a unicorn:! " And then gesturing a gundown from an unseen Rafale somewhere in the room), "Active cancellation!" ?

We need a translator.

But you have to admire how the man can keep his nerves today (ah, if all Rafale fans could be like him :cool: ).*

EDIT:
At a rate of 12/y, 10 years might be equal to 7.
But don't worry, the man has a plan... "B"!

*At frowning so much after India like an Apache tracking an erratic bear, we might have him converted to... Hinduism? :confused:

Just for the sake of information, DA will deliver 26 RAfale in 2019. So much for the 12/year.(which were 11 btw).

Member for

12 years 3 months

Very interesting interview with many data. supercruise mach 1.4, 0to 55k feet in one min. etc.

I posted that two pages back, though who can blame you for not wading through what's become of this thread. Actually posted it thinking you would find it interesting.

Member for

12 years 1 month

Thx FBW, did not see it. Sorry.

Member for

14 years 3 months

man... been away for a couple of weeks and... :eek:

but there a couple of nuggets, like:

because Hammerhead in my time was not qualified as Aerobatics.

And yes I have done it hundred of times, not only because I liked it (it's actually quiet fun), but also because it was part of my training, with and instructor or solo on different type of A-Cs, I just fail to understand how it was not part of yours.

hammerhead was invented as an aerobatic manoeuver.. so if it wasn't aerobatics, it wasn't "in your time", but "in your imagination"... as for you doing it a "hundred of times".. had you ever approached a cockpit with an instructor, you'd never post some of the nonsense you did... you are a liar, pure and simple

as for DR400 going low speed without stalling manoeuver I talked to you about, it was a "lazy eight" .. which is a succession of high yoyos, basically... one left, one right, one left, and so on.. which, looking from above (or from below) draws an eight. On top of the manoeuver, you don't need to be fast, you can let the aircraft go around nicely, pulling 0.5G and your AoA will stay below the stall limit, and you'll fly it through even if you have a speed way below the "stall speed", given for a 1G level flight, without ever stalling the aircraft or doing anything like "post stall manoeuvering".. obviously, since you never stalled it in the first place.

The same rule applies to any aircraft: DR400, Rafale, Mirage 2000, F-22, Boeing 747 or the Concorde... (of course, you won't try to do lazy eights in the latter ones... a bit clumsy for such manoeuvering :D ): you have an AoA value for each aircraft in a particular configuration (flaps down or not, gear down or not, and so on) at which it stalls.. Only the excessive AoA is what makes your aircraft stall.. speed has nothing to do with it... With the combination of AoA and speed you generate lift, which generates acceleration. If you ask more acceleration (Gs), you need to increase lift, by modifying AoA/speed combo, if you as for less acceleration, you decrease lift.. any aircraft can reach as low as 15kts without ever stalling when pulled across the top of a high yoyo, turning at something like 0.2 G maybe, or less.. and if you had been a pilot, especially one with any aerobatic training, you would have known it...

so, in a couple of words: you're a liar, and a bad one, not even able to get some information as to, at least, sound plausible

Member for

12 years 3 months

For those who consider F-358 as a nimble plane. Powerful? Yes. Agile? Just compare. time to bank, roll rate etc.

https://youtu.be/IgD4QvxhFyU

Bat turn at 4 mins...

So as to compare...

https://youtu.be/NzC_5NTBThs

Makes me want to recycle my old “YouTube Wikipedia stopwatch” flight comparison bit. Really Hallow? Your going to plant your flag on comparing flight demos ( one of which is from the heritage flight series, which isn’t even a true flight demonstration”?) I thought better of you.

If you want to state the Rafale is more agile, you’ll get little argument from me (though this seems more apropos for the F-16.net thread where a few members like to state that the F-35 is second only to the F-22 in agility and maneuverability), my suggestion is to re-sign into F-16.net and have it out with them there.

We have had a rough Idea of the baseline goals for maneuverability on the F-35 for quite some time, I’ve heard more than a few pilots discuss their opinion. The overall impression of “F-16 like/F-18 like” seems to be very well accurate. Inferior to the F-16 in sustained turns and energy retention, superior as an angles fighter with better subsonic acceleration. It slows down quickly and regains energy quickly. As far as roll rate, I strongly disagree with your opinion from what pilot’s have said, excellent roll and pitch rates.

It’s never going to compare favorably to a slicked off Rafale in certain areas, notably sustaining in the transonic region that was the design goal of most previous generation fighters (F-16, Gripen, MiG-29, F-15), therefore certainly inferior to the Rafale and Typhoon in that respect. As an angles fighter? I’d say it’s quite good, (time to corner speed, nose authority, pitch + high AoA speed braking) and that makes it highly dangerous in the newer agility metrics in this age of all aspect, off boresight AAM missiles.

Member for

12 years 3 months

Unusual incident involving a Rafale today:

Civilian passenger gets unexpectedly ejected from Rafale B jet

The identity of the civilian passenger (who “does not belong to the [French] Ministry of Armed Forces”) was not publicly disclosed. Journalists or elected officials are often invited to take part in “observation” flights approved by the Minister, for information and communication purposes.

Source:
AeroTime.com

Member for

12 years 1 month

Yes. I guess not a high ranked politician (we would know), but a high ranked executive from Rafale group? Happily, the pilot selected the right switch (separed ejection)

Member for

15 years 2 months

Overheard the next day.....

I thought it said "lunch"

Member for

18 years 3 months

Very interesting interview with many data. supercruise mach 1.4, 0to 55k feet in one min. etc.

https://youtu.be/8Xua3049KJg

That must be from the Fighter podcast.
Well for an Uber plane has less rate of climb than Su27 or F-15,not mentioning F-2000 the champ!

If, you guys only knew what you sounded like..............:rolleyes:

Member for

12 years 1 month

That must be from the Fighter podcast.
Well for an Uber plane has less rate of climb than Su27 or F-15,not mentioning F-2000 the champ!

Please stop that. It is ridiculous. EFT has better cilmbing rate? Good. So what? It doesn't change the fact that the climb rate of Rafale is very correct considering its all rounder conception doese it?

Member for

18 years 7 months

Please stop that. It is ridiculous. EFT has better cilmbing rate?

Cool down. In fact nobody knows, but trolls like to take the officially stated 1000 ft/s minimum climb rate as a maximum value. Convenient, but indeed ridiculous.

Member for

18 years 3 months

Please stop that. It is ridiculous. EFT has better cilmbing rate? Good. So what? It doesn't change the fact that the climb rate of Rafale is very correct considering its all rounder conception doese it?

So if Rafale is a better A2G platform so what?Last time i checked the Kinematic performance wasnt a bad thing to have,since all the rest is pretty sound in EF.

Member for

12 years 1 month

Did i ever say the EF is a poor plane( i may in the heat of discussion)? I just consider that Rafale is way more versatile.

Member for

12 years 3 months

A 64-year-old civilian passenger suffered serious back injuries and was hospitalized after being accidentally ejected from a French Air Force Rafale B fighter jet during take-off.

The incident took place at around 2pm local time on Wednesday at the Saint-Dizier air base in northeastern France during a routine training mission.

https://www.rt.com/news/454508-civilian-ejected-french-fighter-jet/

Member for

12 years 1 month

Thx to its 5th en security systems, no caualties were reported. ;)

Member for

6 years 2 months

Well I guess it's prepared him for a Rafale M catapult launch too now.