Rafale 2018 Thread: Europe's best Eurocanard

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 10 months

Or some or all were Rafale Ms, which only carry 1 on centreline for roll stability reasons.

If I remember correctly, the Rafale M carries one because of bring back weight reasons, nothing to do with roll stability.

I reckon the naval Typhoon has far superior roll capabilities though.

Nic

Member for

6 years 2 months

St John: there is a video of the takeoff:

But did they all launch from land, I don't know. It would make sense of the odd number or missiles, that's all. Maybe they only needed 9 and one took off from land with just 1.

Member for

14 years 3 months

But did they all launch from land, I don't know. It would make sense of the odd number or missiles, that's all. Maybe they only needed 9 and one took off from land with just 1.

they had to.. Charles De Gaulle is still in repairs if I'm not mistaken so they could not launch from it

Member for

12 years 3 months

there was a weapon failure: one of the Scalp had to be dropped. Equally concerning, 3 out of 6 planed sea launched cruise missiles didn't fire due to a weapon system mal-function. A reboot was needed and once everything was ready again no more missile could be fired as the launch window was closed.

Air launched Scalp failure:

« Sur les dix missiles Scalp-EG prévus, seuls neuf sont partis », reconnaît l'armée de l'air, jointe par nos soins mercredi soir, confirmant officiellement des doutes partagés dès samedi par quelques observateurs. « Est-ce dû au missile ou à l'avion ? Nous ne le savons pas, et des analyses techniques sont en cours pour déterminer l'origine de l'incident de tir », précise l'armée. Chaque Rafale emportait deux missiles, et l'un d'eux n'a donc réussi à en tirer qu'un. Toutefois, « l'ensemble des cibles déterminées a été traité » avec les autres missiles, assurent les militaires.

------------
"Out Of the ten Scalp-EG missiles planned, only nine were fired," admits the Air Force, joined by us Wednesday night, officially confirming doubts shared by a few observers Saturday. "Is it due to the missile or the plane? We do not know, and technical analysis is underway to determine the origin of the shooting incident, "said the army. Each Rafale carried two missiles, and one of them managed to fire only one. However, "all targets have been dealt with" with other missiles, say the military.

Sea launched failure:

la Marine nationale a elle aussi reconnu avoir eu des problèmes pour tirer ses missiles de croisière navals (MdCN) depuis ses frégates multimissions FREMM (dont il aurait fallu redémarrer le système informatique, une opération qui aurait fait dépasser le temps imparti pour respecter le créneau de tir). Seuls trois des six MdCN prévus avaient pu être tirés. C'était le baptême du feu pour ces missiles de nouvelle génération, qui font entrer la France dans le club fermé des pays disposant de missiles de croisière embarqués sur des bâtiments de guerre

----------
the French Navy has also admitted to having had problems getting its naval cruise missiles (MdCN) from its FREMM multi-mission frigates (it would have been necessary to restart the computer system, an operation which would make the passage of time allotted to respect the niche of shoot). Only three of the six MdCNs were drawn for firing. It was the baptism of fire for these new generation missiles, which bring France into the closed club of cruise missile countries embarked on the warships

Source:
Le point.fr

Member for

12 years 3 months

USS H.W. Bush is in a working up period. The French contingent is in carrier qualifications on the ship (or were). The ship just arrived in the UK for an exercise.

The Truman is on its way to the Med, there was no carrier in the area at the time of the strike. Someone must have forgotten to tell a certain world leader before he lit up Twitter. Not often that there are no carriers in: Med, Red sea, or Gulf in recent years. Consequence of having 9 carriers available (1 in RCOH and 1 undergoing PSA and not going to deploy for 2+ years)

Member for

19 years 11 months

Or some or all were Rafale Ms, which only carry 1 on centreline for roll stability reasons.

No Rafale M was part in that mission.
According to the Mindef, 1 of the 10 scalps failed to launch.

Member for

12 years 3 months

read above.

Member for

8 years 11 months

It was jettisoned in the water.

Member for

12 years 1 month

USS H.W. Bush is in a working up period. The French contingent is in carrier qualifications on the ship (or were). The ship just arrived in the UK for an exercise.

The Truman is on its way to the Med, there was no carrier in the area at the time of the strike. Someone must have forgotten to tell a certain world leader before he lit up Twitter. Not often that there are no carriers in: Med, Red sea, or Gulf in recent years. Consequence of having 9 carriers available (1 in RCOH and 1 undergoing PSA and not going to deploy for 2+ years)

Yes, but it should be compensated by UK/Fr carriers most of the time. CdG is no quaoified as fleet commander (flagship) and i guess µPrince of Wales will also. Not enough said about the work of that trilateral commission.

Member for

19 years 4 months

Details of units, etc. (and even serials/codes) for most of the aircraft involved in the Syrian attacks seem to be known.

Does anyone know which Rafales and Mirages were involved, or what unit the pilots were from?

And what was the breakdown between single- and two-seaters?

Member for

8 years 11 months

breakdown is 1 singe seater (C) + 4 dual (B), from the 4th fighter wing (I don't know about specific squadrons)
the 4 Mirage 2000-5F were from the 2nd fighter wing, fighter squadron 1/2 Cigognes (Storks), pure air superiority unit.

both AWACS were from the 36th C2 wing Berry, and the tankers from AAR squadron 2/91 Bretagne.

these nuts folks that call themselves spotters ( ;) ) probably know more about specific serials, maybe look into Scramble.nl ?

Member for

19 years 4 months

Thanks EC 5/25.

Wonder why one C was used?

Member for

12 years 3 months

Discrete long range navigation in conjunction with the AWACs (2x) and C135 FR (6x)

Have a look here, a media report with similarly codded B airframe (FAS - Strategic forces)

Member for

12 years 3 months

French Rafales in Oceana will fly over Norfolk today

It is the first time the French and US Navies have trained together like this in ten years.

The French are fired up, 'to see how the U.S. aviation is training, so that we can try to take what's good from it, and we try also to show them we know how to work too," said French Naval Air Force pilot, Commander Marc, who asked that we not use his last name.

Their American counterparts are equally enthused.

"I've been active duty for 18 years and this is the first time I've got a chance to do something like this," said CDR Kevin Chlan, commanding officer of VFA-31.

"We get to focus on working on a person to person basis, whether that our pilots, NFO's or maintainers, just kind of passing share experiences and learning," said CDR Christian Goodman, commanding officer of VAW-124.

"To have an opportunity to have the French Navy come over and improve our ability to fight alongside them is not lost on me how significant that is, and what a wonderful opportunity that is," said CAPT Jim McCall, commander of Carrier Air Wing 8.

The public can see the French jets for themselves with a pair of flyovers over the next two days. The first fly-over is scheduled Thursday a little after 5 p.m. over Norfolk Scope following the NATO festival flag raising.

Also:

“The Rafale, once I go up and fight it, it’s a fast aircraft,” he said. “It’s got a very good thrust-to-weight ratio. We’re not used to seeing some of the speeds they operate at. The Super Hornet is is a great maneuverable aircraft and we see some advantages when we fight them.”

Ultimately, Chlan said, it’s helpful to train against different aircraft and pilots and learn from their tactics.

“It’s personally very satisfying to go out and do something different,” he said. “It’s cool to go out and see them off your wing.”

Source:
13news now.com
[url="http://www.dailypress.com/news/military/dp-nws-french-pilots-hampton-ro… daily Press.com[/url]

Member for

12 years 1 month

“It’s cool to go out and see them off your wing.”

In the end the most important sentence (for both sides)

Member for

12 years 3 months

feeling grumpy tonight?

Member for

12 years 1 month

Yes i was, (doc did not want to give me back license for both diving and piloting due to a small stroke 2 years agot) but i think this comment was quite the opposite.

Member for

13 years 1 month

Chesapeake 2018:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]260197[/ATTACH]

Attachments