The 'race' for Qatar's Mirage-2000-5s

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 9 months

Originally posted by Golden_Arrow

SAF2000,

My sources in India have told me that IAF is very serious about getting 110-120 M2K-5s and an additional dozen from Qatar. The issue here is that after the Tehelka scandal, people are afraid to pull the trigger on a $8 Billion deal.

I don't know how it will work out.

For the sake of India, I hope PAF goes ahead with the order. That is the only way Indian bureaucrats will wake up and move fast, like they did for the T-90s.

They may be serious or they may only be bluffing. The way to put doubt into peoples mind is to pretend you are serious. If they can convince the French that they are serious even when they are not, then the French will be reluctant to sell the aircraft type to Pakistan. At the same time it also puts doubts into pakistanis minds about Mirage2k5s - if they think india is aoing to acquire it they may also be reluctant to purchase the same aircraft.

In view of the fact that India is acquiring Su-30 mk1s, LCA and upgrading mig21s, jaguars and mig27s (not to forget AJT), I would be very surprised if Indians go for Mirage2k5s. I may be wrong but i think indian game is to prevent Pakistan getting any Mirage2k5s from any source.

Member for

21 years

1 thing i don't understand........Y would Qatar willing tot sold their M2k-5 a/cs.....if they sold it, they would not have any front line fighters to defend their sky:confused:

Member for

20 years 8 months

Originally posted by duotiga
1 thing i don't understand........Y would Qatar willing tot sold their M2k-5 a/cs.....if they sold it, they would not have any front line fighters to defend their sky:confused:

They are now the greatest ally of the USA there.
Perhaps it has a link and the USAF will help them but I find it very strange until now.

Quatar really like their mirages.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Watched a 60 minutes interview a few weeks ago with the Quatari leader, from what I understand, its Uncle Sam who will be doing the defending of that land, besides with uncle there, noone will want to mess with it!
The Quatari leader who came to power after a coup wants to make sure that he is in power for a long time to come and the US being there and he being nice to them guarantees this.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I would not be supraised if Qatar bought F-16 when they got rid of Mirage 2000.

BTW, do these Qatari Mirage 2000 carry MICA?

Member for

20 years 9 months

F15Es from thumrait afb(?), supported by tankers and E3 will cut into shreds anyone making a move on Qatar. mightly impressive infrastucture they have built up there.

Member for

20 years 10 months

Interesting thread.

Don't both the UAE and Taiwan also operate the Mirage 2000-Mk5

I wonder if either of them are showing any interest in obtaining the Qataris as well?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Taiwan operates the Mirage 2000-5. If Taiwan was interestd in these birds and if Qatar was willing to sell them to Taiwan France would probably block the sale to please China.

UAE is going to operate the Mirage 2000-9. A modified Mirage 2000-5. The UAE has enough fighters on order (F-16C/D Block 60 & Mirage 2000-9) to be interested in this lot of fighters.

Greece is going to operate the Mirage 2000-5 MKII. A modified Mirage 2000-5. Greece also has F-16s on order and wants to buy the Typhoon in the near future.

Peru operates a small number of older Mirage 2000s. I think it would be a great move if Peru bought Qatar's Mirage 2000-5 fleet and upgraded the rest of their birds to the same standard. However, Peru seems to be more interested in the Mig-29 nowadays.

Egypt operates a small number of older Mirage 2000s too but Egypt Air Force is based on the F-16 and I couldn't see Egypt going for these birds.

Like I said earlier in this thread.... I would like to see Greece buy Qatar's Mirage 2000-5 fleet and set up a new squadron in Cyprus. If Greece doesn't buy these birds then I think Peru would be the next best buyer. It makes a lot of sense for India to buy these birds and it makes little sense for Pakistan to buy these birds. Pakistan already has enough light single engine multi role fighters (FC-1, F-16, & F-7).

Member for

24 years 3 months

The best customer for these would be the ROCAF. The Mirage 2000-5EDA carries the same radar (RDY) and missiles (MICA EM and Magic II) as the Mirage 2000-5EI of the ROCAF. They are tasked with the same air defense role as well. It would allow the ROCAF to make up for losses due to attrition. I read in one of these articles that the ROCAF is also intersted in the planes as well as the InAF and PAF.

If Greece bought them, they would hvae to put them through an upgrade as the HAF Mirage 2000-5EGs have the RDY radar, stand off PGMs and the MICA IR in the place of the Magci II.

Pakistan buying 10 planes would be pretty dumb unless they planned to by more.

Member for

20 years 8 months

J33Nelson
Yep Peru could be a great customer (geo politicaly speaking).
- No special troubles like what could be apeeared with a sell to Taiwan or Pakistan (Of course some pressures from the USA)
- That would be the first mirage 2000-5 user in south america

For greece, they would have to be upgrade to the Mk2 standard so I don't know if that's so interresting.
If you add the number of fighter in the Hellenic Air Force .....

Same think for the UAE.

No strategic interest ofr Egypt I think.

Since Jordan made a deal but couldn't pay for it perhpas a French-Qataris agreement could be possible.

India of course could buy them without problem.

The problem is the responsability of the french gov on this kind of deal.

I wonder if we can really prevent Quatar to sell their mirages to Pakistan or Taiwan.

Airforce1
Yes Qatar bought lots of MICA and you can be sure that in the following months this missile should be really less effective against the aircraft of the american army and perhaps some close allies.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I don't understand why Greece would have to upgrade these aircraft to MK II standard if they bought Qatar's fleet?? No one is saying that India would have to upgrade their Mirage 2000 fleet to the dash 5 standard if they bought these 10 planes. It would make logistics a little easier but most airfroce's operate more then 1 different plane any way. France operates the regular Mirage 2000C and the newer Mirage 2000-5 and they don't have any problems.

I highly doubt if Greece is even interested since they have F-16s on order and want to induct a new fighter (Typhoon) sooner then later. I just think it would be a good idea if Greece bought these birds and set up a new squadron on Cyprus with these birds and weapons bought from Qatar.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Dont expect Greece do buy any big defence items for the next couple of years, they have taken out big loans for the olympics games already and the Governemnt is unwilling to take other loans. So the Typhoon looks like a better bet since it wont be in the Greek millitary for a few years yet.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Originally posted by J33Nelson
I don't understand why Greece would have to upgrade these aircraft to MK II standard if they bought Qatar's fleet?? No one is saying that India would have to upgrade their Mirage 2000 fleet to the dash 5 standard if they bought these 10 planes.

Greece want mirage 2000-5 mk2 so they wouldn't want to add 10 -5 "lesser version" but perhaps would like to see another 10 -5 mk2.

For India it's different since the -5 is much better than Indian mirages

Originally posted by J33Nelson France operates the regular Mirage 2000C and the newer Mirage 2000-5 and they don't have any problems. [/B]

After all, I think that these mirages will certainly be bought by the french AF.

Member for

24 years 3 months

What I gather from the information I have received is that Pakistan is not going to buy these Qatari Mirage 2000-5.

Now, the ball is in India's court and needed to be seen if they will buy them or not or it is the same old blowing smoke game India is known to play.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Originally posted by Airforce1
What I gather from the information I have received is that Pakistan is not going to buy these Qatari Mirage 2000-5.

After all, even the PAF officials don't speak of mirages but only of Belgium F-16.

Member for

24 years 3 months

The Indian Air Force (IAF) has approved the acquisition of 12 Mirage 2000-5 fighters from Qatar that nuclear rival Pakistan has also been trying to buy.

IAF "approval" does not mean anything till the MoD and Finance folks work it all out.

It is nice to know that this deal is blessed at the very top though.

I could never have guessed that France too would turn out to be a potential buyer! :p