"MiG-33" and Yak-43

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 4 months

Does anyone have more information about these (unrelated) Russian fighter projects of the 1980s? This is all I've found so far:

Mikoyan Product 33

Crew: One
Engine: One RD-33 turbofan of 81 kN
1980-1986. Planned as a MiG-29 class fighter mainly for the export market to replace MiG-21.

Yakovlev Yak-43

Crew: One
Empty weight: 18,000 kg
Engine: One Kuznetsov NK-32 turbofan of 245 kN
Planned as a next-generation STOVL fighter to succeed Yak-41. Improved aerodynamic configuration with LO features and RAM. The engine would have combined the functions of lift and cruise. Front- and rear-looking radars. Weapons were to be carried in an internal bay.

The following is said to be a three-view of the Yak-43. However, the Yak-43 is sometimes said to be quite stealthy, but in the drawing it doesn't look like that. :confused:

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

"LO features and RAM" doesn't necessarily mean "quite stealthy", unless you're comparing it to the original Yak-141.

Here's a MiG-33 image.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Well Yakovlev were the only OKB to seriously investigate shaping as RCS reduction.

Look at this model of their MFI submission:

Member for

24 years 3 months

Even clearer is this later submission to the LFS program:

Member for

20 years 4 months

Thank you very much for the images aerospacetech!
So the picture I posted really is the Yak-43 and the one you posted the LFS proposal? I've sometimes seen the latter, more 'stealthy' shape attributed to the Yak-43. Also I thought this was not right, but I wasn't sure.

Originally posted by SOC
"LO features and RAM" doesn't necessarily mean "quite stealthy", unless you're comparing it to the original Yak-141.

I'm not comparing the Yak-43 to anything or saying its stealthy. That's what some others have implied in certain forums. But it now really seems that they have confused the Yak-43 and the Yak LFS proposal.

Doesn't anyone have any clue about the weights and dimensions of the Mikoyan 33?

Member for

20 years 4 months

A question for Aerospacetech

Aerospacetech,

I registered for this forum just so I could ask you about Yak's MFI proposal, so I hope you will respond.

That is the first picture I have seen of Yak's project. Do you have any more photos or information? It looks very similar to the MiG-1.42/.44, but I cannot see the configuration of the air intake.

Any additional info would be appreciated ... for a long time I have been fascinated by Russia's MFI program.

Thanks.

--Gavin.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Here you go gavin ;)

Member for

24 years 3 months

another one here- you can see the inlets clearly

Member for

24 years 3 months

Rear view:

Member for

24 years 3 months

Last one:

Member for

20 years 4 months

Aerospacetech, I sincerely want to thank you.

--Gavin.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I think that people are confusing different designs.

I think the first design was initially labelled as an advanced Yak-41M development, and later on called Yak-43. It is powered by an R-79M turbofan. It clearly isn't stealthy (but might be reduced RCS)

The Yakovlev MFI proposal was as "stealthy" as possible and powered by an NK-32 turbofan.

There were several advanced designs of V/STOL fighters, possibly designated "Yak-43", which may have combined features of each.

Member for

24 years 3 months

The tell-tale sign of a stealthy design is its use of planform alignment.

The Yakovlev MFI clearly uses this.

In fact, I think it was a fine design hampered by the fact that they chose 1 engine, which was distinctly out of favour.

Member for

24 years 3 months

BTW I also post as "Overscan" on www.acig.org

Member for

20 years 4 months

Originally posted by aerospacetech
BTW I also post as "Overscan" on www.acig.org

And I post as "Meteorit" there too.
Thank you for the Yakovlev MFI images. Unless they are the same as the ones missing from the acig thread, could you repost the lost images I requested there (and the Sukhoi T-60S and T-12 anyway)? :)

Member for

20 years 4 months

Indeed, at first glance, the Yak design seemed to have a lot of potential. Not only does it look stealthier than MiG's MFI, the bifurcated intake presumably would have allowed an interal weapons bay.

I wonder if it was intended to have v/stol capability. That might explain the choice of using only one engine.

Are you sure it was an MFI contender? The scale and configuration looks very similar to an early Lockheed mockup for the JSF. The Russian equivalent would have been the LFI, not MFI.

Either, it's shame this plane will never fly.

--Gavin.

P.S. -- I registered at ACIG a while ago, but I got frustrated that nobody ever seemed to respond to my posts ... oh well.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yefim Gordon is certain its the MFI concept.

Heres that possible Kh-101:

Member for

24 years 3 months

T-4MS final version:

Member for

24 years 3 months

One T-60 artists impression:

Member for

24 years 3 months

Another one: both are by Piotr Butowski

Member for

24 years 3 months

This is a generic "bomber" concept from the "stealth institute".