Flying the F-104

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 11 months

Train "attack". I remember now. A Danish pilot visiting Volkel at the time told me. So it was probably "beer talk" - (so I was right about the "p*ssed" part! :D )

Accident rates (per 10.000 flying hours) F-104:

Denmark 0,85 (used only as fighters)

Germany 1,65

Canada 1,96

---

Denmark F-100 2,17 :(

Phantom II. One Danish F-104 (R-819) was lost when it flew through the vortices/wake turbulence from a manoeuvering German RF-4. The aircraft broke up, but the pilot ejected safely. I'll try to scan the gun camera pictures from his wingman. (Don't expect too much - b&w and grainy)

Best regards
atc pal

Member for

13 years

german f104 vs east german mig 21

After german reunification did the two airforces ever compare the f104 against the east german mig 21?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Zipper may be fast but its not a lightning !! Read tales of impromptu races between the '104 and the lightning during squadron exchanges. Star had the initial acceleration but lightning soon took over, especially in the vertical. A T5 even beat an F15 to 20k!! awesome!!

Dedicated RF104 also had a camera bay just behind the cockpit

Acceleration and initial climb-rate are the same "coin". For the F-104G that value was 254 m/sec. Maybe someone can add the values for a Lightning T5 or F-15?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Unless reffering to the fact that RAFG Lightning F.2/F.2A's spent most of their time 'shooting down' mudmoving F104's...;)

It was along the low-level pathes near Gütersloh and limited to subsonic speeds. They used the opportunity to hone their skills in intercepting low level intruders, when the Starfighter-pilots honed theirs when they tried to spoil that. The F-104Gs were with ETs and ~420 kt and when the "race" started close to 600 kt the noise limit set a final stop.
The Lightning had a similar endurance and AAM limitations as a MiG-21 and its pilot were time-limited in adverse weather conditions. ;)