PENTAGON: PAC-3 INTERCEPTED ALL MISSILES IN IRAQ

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years

WASHINGTON [MENL] -- The U.S. Defense Department maintains that the Patriot missile defense system intercepted all Iraqi short-range missiles fired toward Kuwait during the U.S.-led war in Iraq.

Missile Defense Agency director Lt.Gen. Ronald Kadish told the House Strategic Forces subcommittee recently that the PAC-3 and the earlier PAC-2 intercepted all of the Iraqi missiles that threatened to strike Kuwaiti or U.S. installations in the sheikdom during the U.S.-led war in Iraq.

"Based on the available data, the Patriot system, including PAC-3, successfully intercepted all threatening short-range ballistic missiles during Operation Iraqi Freedom last year," Kadish said.

The assertion by the agency director was the first time that a senior Pentagon official reported a 100 percent interception rate of the Patriot system. About a dozen Iraqi short-range missiles were fired toward Kuwait in late March and early April 2003.

Original post

Member for

20 years 2 months

I do remember that a Silkworm hitted a local shoppingmall in Kuwait, but off course this is an anti-shipping missile and not a SRBM, did they fire any in the first place. If so what types?

Member for

20 years 3 months

i think missile thread is where this has to be ...

Member for

19 years 9 months

what i recall regarding the silkworm was that the pac-3 systems didnt deal with it... most thought that it would just fall somewhere in the water..atleast that was what the Centcom version was. and u are right it was no SRBM...and i am not sure that the pac-3's and pac-2's were responsible for the space of the water

Member for

20 years 5 months

BS!

One Scud fell into the sea near southern Oil Refineries, one fell (the anti-ship )near Souq Al Sharq (The mall) , it missed the target.. The Al Bayan Palace by few kilometres tho.

Member for

19 years 9 months

the mall wasnt a scud it was an anti ship missile. i dont think any scud was launched during the war they were AS1's i beleive

Member for

20 years 5 months

i know..but what about the one which fell near Refineries in Mid-Southern Kuwait?

Member for

19 years 9 months

i can positivly say that there werent any scuds lauched by iraq...as far as the report goes the US army will definately know more about justifying that claim than me....also not the entire kuwait was under the pac-3 control system kuwaiti patriot missile batteries were also imployed...

Member for

20 years 2 months

No Scuds were fired, the only SRBM that were fired that I recall were those Al-Samoud 2 missiles. The ones that were going to be destructed under UN supervision....

Member for

19 years 9 months

i dont think any as2 was fired either although cant confirm that...i think the as1 was fired.

Member for

19 years 8 months

I do remember that a Silkworm hitted a local shoppingmall in Kuwait, but off course this is an anti-shipping missile and not a SRBM, did they fire any in the first place. If so what types?

That is the new and very dangerous ASM (Anti Shopping Missle)... would be very helpful to blokes that get spent out of every nickel by their wives...

Member for

19 years 9 months

i dont think many people were killed by it if any.

Just a wording trick. It defeated all ballistic missiles fired... of course it didn't intercept any non ballistic missiles, but then you can't blame the system for not being able to intercept targets it wasn't designed for.

The real question is should there have been a CAP with fighters and AWACS looking for cruise type missiles? If Saddam really did have WMDs then a Silkworm... say with an added range of say 800km (For subsonic missiles it is just a case of lengthening the fuselage and putting in more fuel) plus the usual large wahead of, say Anthrax, or Sarin, give it a GPS guidance system and land it in the middle of a city... or set it so that it sprays WMDs over every city it flys over... they could launch hundreds at a time..

Member for

19 years 8 months

Just a wording trick. It defeated all ballistic missiles fired... of course it didn't intercept any non ballistic missiles, but then you can't blame the system for not being able to intercept targets it wasn't designed for.

The real question is should there have been a CAP with fighters and AWACS looking for cruise type missiles? If Saddam really did have WMDs then a Silkworm... say with an added range of say 800km (For subsonic missiles it is just a case of lengthening the fuselage and putting in more fuel) plus the usual large wahead of, say Anthrax, or Sarin, give it a GPS guidance system and land it in the middle of a city... or set it so that it sprays WMDs over every city it flys over... they could launch hundreds at a time..

It's a good thing we don't have to worry about that "if" any more, isn't it?

(I think the amount of Sarin that a silkworm-type missile can deliver is relatively small, especially if it's dispersed over a large area. Other than a public scare thing, I doubt it would have any actual effect.)

(I think the amount of Sarin that a silkworm-type missile can deliver is relatively small, especially if it's dispersed over a large area. Other than a public scare thing, I doubt it would have any actual effect.)

Silkwork class missiles carried 1 ton class payloads... and extention of the body to add range could equally be helped with an improvement in wing size and lift to lift greater weights of both fuel and payload. Flying low over cities dropping anthrax spores would be a very efficient way of stirring up an enemy... even if the number killed would probably be very low.

It's a good thing we don't have to worry about that "if" any more, isn't it?

I never had to worry about it, but by rattling his cage you put his neighbours at serious risk just to make your oil safe again...

Member for

20 years 3 months

For subsonic missiles it is just a case of lengthening the fuselage and putting in more fuel)

No it is not that easy to modify a weapon system. The structure has not been thought for that and shall be modifid. A longer missile will have different caracteristics frequencies that can interact with the controls. You can have flutter and other aerodynamics problems you did not have. The constrainsts inside the structure will change and a longer missile will need structure renforcing or could break in flight. Moreover, aerodynamic coefficient would change and thus you would have to modify the control system ...

If it was so easy, every country would be capable of creating a whole range of cruise missile ...

If it was so easy, every country would be capable of creating a whole range of cruise missile ...

Every country can. The silkworm is a very basic simple rocket powered subsonic weapon. Any country that has someone who can build model planes could build a long range cruise missile. It won't be as small or efficient as a Tomahawk, but it doesn't need to be. The Silkworm was designed to fit on certain platforms and had weight and size restrictions placed upon it. Launching it off a simple rail like a V1 buzz bomb takes away those size and weight restraints. It is not rocket science to extend the body of an aircraft and alter its wings and stabilisers and flight control systems to help it fly. This isn't a super manouvering F-22 with FBW flight controls. It can simply be a longer fatter silkworm with a bit larger wing area to hold up the greater weight. Subsonic aircraft are not as critically effected by size and weight changes... there is no problems with area rule design or crap like that.