Sudan gets its MiG-29SE/UBs

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

U.S. State Department Expresses Alarm in Connection with Deliveries of Russian MiG-29 Fighters to Sudan

The U.S. State Department has expressed alarm in connection with reports about deliveries of Russian MiG-29 fighters to Sudan. As an official representative of the State Department, Richard Boucher, declared, "in case of the confirmation of this information, the U.S. will view it with great alarm." According to him, the United States is against the transfer of any types of weapons to Sudan, since the view it as a state that supports terrorism. "Moreover, the continuing crisis in the province of Darfur is one more reason for harsh objections to the deliveries of arms to Sudan," R. Boucher noted.

It is recalled that earlier this week, the Russian Airplane Building Corporation MiG announced the conclusion of the fulfillment of a contract for the deliver to Sudan of 12 MiG-29 fighters. The contract, which was conclude at the end of 2001, provides for the delivery to Sudan of 10 MiG-29SEh fighters and two MiG-29UB training airplanes, and also various types of special materials.

Source: 23.07.04, RBC.RU

This isn't speculation, there are previous articles indicating the early completion of the delivery as well.

I didn't know the MiG-29S was still marketed. I guess Sudan didn't have a ground attack requirement? (MiG-29SMT).

Original post

Member for

20 years 7 months

..since the view it as a state that supports terrorism.

Ahh, the same like Iraq?

Representative of the State Department, Richard Boucher, declared, "in case of the confirmation of this information, the U.S. will view it with great alarm."

I have always thought that it's only a short-legged worthless Russian crap.. :)

Not that Sudan had not any better stuff to spend its hard cash for...

Member for

20 years 1 month

probably those will come from the stock mikoyan has in its backyard.?

Camaro

Member for

19 years 11 months

This isn't speculation, there are previous articles indicating the early completion of the delivery as well.

My sources say they were ordered in 2002, but end of 2001 is near enough. And considering the US has just told the Sudanese government to step up military measures to contain the rebel militants, I am surprised they are showing 'alarm' at the introduction of a better aircraft compared to what they have already. Although the ground attack option seems to have been overlooked?

I didn't know the MiG-29S was still marketed. I guess Sudan didn't have a ground attack requirement? (MiG-29SMT).

It was probably all they could afford at the time. Is there, or could there be an upgrade option like that of the Malaysian Mig-29SDs? They can still drop dumb bombs and be fitted with FFAR pods yes? No reason they can't be upgraded to SM standard at least in time I guess, which would give them a PGM ground attack capability. And are these second hand ex-VVS models or new builds?

and also various types of special materials.

I wonder........

And are these second hand ex-VVS models or new builds?

Bought from MiG, so I guess they would come from the airframes made but not paid for by the RuAF.

Member for

24 years 3 months

ACIG's Sudan article have been updated with photos of the deliveries taken from Russian TV news. It shows the planes being loaded on a AN-124. Doesn't look new to me.

Member for

24 years 3 months

We here in Holland see those pictures of wars and hungry refugees... And they buy fancy planes. Strange world.

Member for

19 years 9 months

ACIG's Sudan article have been updated with photos of the deliveries taken from Russian TV news. It shows the planes being loaded on a AN-124. Doesn't look new to me.

Well, the Sudanese bought their 12 MiG-29s for $120 million so I don't think its new, but maybe some surplus crap recieve refurbishment after been picked out of a junkyard. Besides, a poor country like the Sudan cannot afford brand-new planes.

Member for

19 years 9 months

Oh yes, does anyone have images of Sudanese MiG-23s?

Member for

24 years 3 months

How exactly can you tell from those poor quality pictures whether the aircraft are new or not? I see no reason to believe that these aircraft are anything other than unpurchased MiG-29S or MiG-29 9.13 aircraft built by Mikoyan for Soviet Air Force order, upgraded to MiG-29SE standard, and sold. Thats for all intents and purposes "new". They're only old if they've been actually used.

Member for

24 years 3 months

There are a number of unused airframes with zero hours in storage at MiG.

Member for

19 years 10 months

Thought i'd post those images from ACIG .

http://www.acig.org/artman/uploads/suaf_mig-29_loading_01.jpg

http://www.acig.org/artman/uploads/suaf_mig-29_loading_02.jpg

http://www.acig.org/artman/uploads/suaf_mig-29_loading_03.jpg

http://www.acig.org/artman/uploads/suaf_mig-29_loading_04.jpg

http://www.acig.org/artman/uploads/suaf_mig-29seh_bd.jpg

Member for

24 years 3 months

An "ideal" aircraft to fight rebells in the bushes? Did the Sudanese never heard of Su-25s still available. Macedonia handed its back some time ago.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yes, the Su-25 would be far more effective against the defenceless tribes in the south. On the otherhand, the Mig would be better against a UN (NATO, EU?) intervention. :eek:

Sauron

Member for

24 years 3 months

I see it the same. But more to deny unwanted flights and create some risk. Russia is a constant member in the security council?!

Yes, the Su-25 would be far more effective against the defenceless tribes in the south. On the otherhand, the Mig would be better against a UN (NATO, EU?) intervention.

...erm yes... Imagine they want to use new planes to defend themselves... how novel.

The Sudanese air threat will increase, but that won't stop the intervention when it comes. The purchase only adds to the list of potential missile fodder.

The potential for loss of aircraft seems to stop NATO or UN intervention in Chechnia or Tibet or Israel.