Soviet airborne ECM jamming assets

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 1 month

It is commonly known that Mig-23ML/MLD and Mig-29 9.12 did not carry any jamming pods /ECM

So how did the soviets expect to jam enemy airborne fighter interceptor radars ? esp to break lock of enemy BVR missiles

were the Mig-29 9.12 and Mig-23ML equipped with chaff dispensers ? I know that MLD did carry them

What were the tactics to jam enemy fighter radars ? Ive heard they used specialized Su-17/IL-28/Yak-28P ECM planes but they were loaded with jammers to counter ground based radars not airborne radars ?

thanks

Original post

Member for

12 years 1 month

Before the '80s, very few fighters carried chaff dispensers, much less internal ECM. I believe F-15 had internal jammer from the start, but chaff dispensers were added only later. For the most part, fighter aircraft in both East and West had no protection against radar-guided missiles except their own maneuverability and performance.

Member for

19 years 1 month

Before the '80s, very few fighters carried chaff dispensers, much less internal ECM. I believe F-15 had internal jammer from the start, but chaff dispensers were added only later. For the most part, fighter aircraft in both East and West had no protection against radar-guided missiles except their own maneuverability and performance.

Thanks
but as far as I know in the 80s the mig-29 9.12 were fitted with chaff dispensers from the start , is that true ?

Member for

12 years 1 month

Thanks
but as far as I know in the 80s the mig-29 9.12 were fitted with chaff dispensers from the start , is that true ?

No idea. I have a MiG-29SD sales brochure from mid-90s, it mentions "passive jamming against heat-seeking missiles", so it seems that export aircraft at least came only with flares by default.

Member for

19 years 1 month

No idea. I have a MiG-29SD sales brochure from mid-90s, it mentions "passive jamming against heat-seeking missiles", so it seems that export aircraft at least came only with flares by default.

So I found 9.12 had no ECM measures except built in chaff flare dispenser
9.13 had a ecm jammer in the hump and approx 400 of 9.13 were built by 1991

Member for

12 years 1 month

Checked Yefim Gordon's MiG-29 book, it says that chaff cartridges could be carried in countermeasures dispenser, but usually were not.

Member for

19 years 1 month

Checked Yefim Gordon's MiG-29 book, it says that chaff cartridges could be carried in countermeasures dispenser, but usually were not.

yes mostly flares he says

furthermore are the airborne jamming aircraft like Tu-22, su-24,yak-28 able to jam radars of enemy fighters ?

I mean the only way to do that is to create "sanitizied corridors" in which soviet ECM can jam all radars of friendly and unfriendly aircarft , so as to allow their strike planes to go through