Mig-23 production figures

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

10 years 5 months

Can someone explained to me why MIg-23 is often seen as a failure unlike Mig-21 or Mig-29

Member for

19 years 1 month

Can someone explained to me why MIg-23 is often seen as a failure unlike Mig-21 or Mig-29

Usaf evaluation of mig23MS
bekea valley and its wrong conclusion in western mediap

Member for

18 years 7 months

MiG-23 early modifications had insufficient maneuverability. MiG-23ML and later one of the best fighters in its class

which Polish book are you quoting this from ? can you please give the name and author
thank you

The quote from the Polish book is not mine, the name of this book is unknown to me

Member for

18 years 2 months

Not really considered a complete failure. Most of those countries which received aircraft from the Soviet Union were short of cash after the Cold War. They could barely afford to operate the MiG-21 - never mind the much more complex and high-powered MiG-23 - the '23' had to go...

MiG-23 early modifications had insufficient maneuverability. MiG-23ML and later one of the best fighters in its class

That's wrong. I don't think anyone was really complaining about the MiG-23's turning ability - it was hardly any worse than that of an F-4 - and whatever improvements were made to its maneuverability in later versions it was still not the 'best in class'.

Member for

18 years 2 months

The quote from the Polish book is not mine, the name of this book is unknown to me

Polish book? Probably by Piotr Bukowski.

Member for

13 years 5 months

Because Western sources make lots of silly claims re. Soviet hardware.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Don't believe fake news.

USG spent $ billions to fly and maintain MiG-23, MiG-27, MiG-21 and SU-27 under Constant Peg and other programs. Why spend that much money if they were failures?

Member for

12 years 3 months

Don't believe fake news.

USG spent $ billions to fly and maintain MiG-23, MiG-27, MiG-21 and SU-27 under Constant Peg and other programs. Why spend that much money if they were failures?

15000 sorties generated.

Member for

19 years 1 month

no worries
so are you quoting the production figures of
1300 mig-23M
1100 mig-23MLA
300 mig-23P
750 mig-23ML
directly from the red banner factory statistics

i was wondering as Airforces weekly say that MLA and ML were not different production and BOTH togather were under 1000

but Military balance in 1983 mention 2,100 fighter version mig-23M/ML/P/MLA in service with PVO + VVS

which one do you think is more accurate ? military balance ?