Mig-21 pics of ALL user countries

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

CzAF MiG-21MFN June 2003 Neuburg (Southern Germany) during NATO's "Clean Hunter" LIVEX

http://www.btinternet.com/~zola25/5581.jpg

Steve ~ Touchdown-News

Member for

19 years 9 months

Thanks very much for the pics! I've added Cuba, too. sorry for that
@ dan_pub I added just the countrys that operated them in combat squadrons
Madagascar
Rep. Congo

Attachments

Member for

19 years 9 months

This one remains a bit of a mystery. It's sold as Guinea Bissau on airlinehobby.com, in African Migs it's said that it's Burkina Faso
Is anyone of you member of airlinehobby.com? You have to be a member to ask the seller a question :mad:

Member for

24 years 2 months

The USAF also operated a few 21s, which AFAIK came mostly from Israel as well. (t'was meeting it Vietnam, and eager to study it).

I'm pretty sure the majority of Fishbeds were actually Indonesian, but it's not an easy topic to confirm concrete details for! ;)

Steve ~ Touchdown-News

Member for

19 years 10 months

I'm pretty sure the majority of Fishbeds were actually Indonesian, but it's not an easy topic to confirm concrete details for! ;)
Are we talking about the same period?
Israel supplied Mig-21s to the USAF in the late 60s / early 70s.
I'm not aware of the Indonesian deal, but I'd expect it to be later?

Member for

19 years 9 months

Q: Which is the most advanced version of Mig-21/F/J series ? In terms of

Avionics and ...

MiG-21 'Bison'
...Manoeuvrebelity?..

F-7PG/J-7G

More pictures:
Iraqi oddfellows, an F-7M and a MiG-21Bis, both in a sorry state:

Attachments

Member for

24 years 2 months

Are we talking about the same period?
Israel supplied Mig-21s to the USAF in the late 60s / early 70s.
I'm not aware of the Indonesian deal, but I'd expect it to be later?

Definitely within that time period, Dan: it wasn't really a "deal" so much as related to geo-politics and "regime change". Maybe one of the Guys here with more local knowledge of the TNI-AU or South-East Asia can confirm, but I think Indonesia stopped ops on the MiG-21F-13 in 1967? Off the top of my head this lead to them going from 1960's Fishbed ops to being an F-51 user (MAP-supplied in 1970).

Does anyone know how the Indonesian Fishbed happened to finish-up in the Brussels museum (from 1992, IIRC)? I have more than one source suggesting this passed-on to the US. The one in the TTF at Nellis (Arthur prefers "Petting Zoo"!!) is also reported as being from the same batch. Definitely an area needing some more work....!

Here's the TTF one I mentioned above:

http://www.nellis.af.mil/TTF/MiG-21.JPG

Steve ~ Touchdown-News

Member for

24 years 2 months

One of the small things the US got after the CIA-backed coup by Suharto in Indonesia indeed was a batch of MiG-21F-13s, which should have happened in 1967 or 1968. Reportedly some USN pilots flew some DACT sorties against (and in) these MiGs in '68, on the basis of which Top Gun was founded a year later. And while Israel did indeed deliver some aircraft, the consistant and known condition of the Indonesian machines (all logbooks and such were included) meant that they were far more attractive for the US to actually fly than the aircraft passed on through Israel.

The MiG-21 at Brussels seems to be a former Egyptian Fishbed, which was used in a Petting Pet Farm at Ramstein together with the MiG-23BN in the same museum. These were handed over to the US in the late 1970s when Egypt turned to the US (and China) for aircraft rather than the Soviets.

Member for

19 years 3 months

MiG 21 F-13 Bulgaria
MiG 21 PFM Northern Alliance ?
MiG 21 F-13 Syria

Member for

24 years 2 months

Some Indonesian MiG-21s...

Attachments

Member for

24 years 2 months

I think you missed the point of my photo: 007 is a MiG-21 in the colors of the ISRAELI air force.
The IAF also inherited a whole flight of 21s from Algeria, on top of that one from Iraq.

The USAF also operated a few 21s, which AFAIK came mostly from Israel as well. (t'was meeting it Vietnam, and eager to study it).

1001 night story!

Member for

24 years 2 months

It was also discovered that the Israeli AF nearly used the MiG-21 (007) to its operational needs. Egyptian MiGs (21 I believe) were conducting recon missions over Israel. At the time, the Israeli AF had no fighter that could catch the Egyptian MiGs, because of the MiG's excellent acceleration. They were returning quickly back home when they saw the Israeli fighters coming in. It was then decided to use the captured MiG to intercept them. It was ready to fly and the order was given, but the MiGs never showed up again.

The MiG, however, gave Israel (and the west) a great chance to learn about what was then the peak of Soviet technology. This info (especially the fact that the MiG-21 has a fuel tank right after the cockpit) gave Israel a huge advantage in 1967.The original 007 was later given to the Americans for further studies. In the 80s, when the Israeli AF museum project was prepared, the US was asked to return it. The did return a MiG-21, but not 007. They were told of it, so they sent another MiG, with the serial 007, but it wasn't this one either. The real 007 is probably still somewhere in the US.

They came never near enough to threaten those recce flights really!
The aiming-point against sideway ground-target was just coincidence!
These were former EAF MiGs and Egypt was not pleased about that. :D

Member for

19 years 10 months

Whats the going rate for an (airworthy) MiG 21?
Ever since i made a 1/48 model i've become hooked!
Not dat i cud AFFORD to buy one, though!!!
BARNOWL

Member for

24 years 2 months

Some Indonesian MiG-21s...

Interesting pic!

Esp since the Indonesian MiGs were no longer in operational service, they even bothered to paint the MiG (as recent as 1997) in the aggressor colours of its A-4s! :eek:

Member for

20 years 7 months

Those two Indonesian a/c have some really cool markings/camo patterns. Great for modeling.

Member for

19 years 3 months

MiG 21 F-13 Algeria
J-7 III China ( local version of Mig 21 MF)

Member for

19 years 3 months

MiG- 21MF Egypt
MiG-21 PFM North Korea

Member for

19 years 3 months

wow, really good photo of North Korean aircraft!! where can one find more like those? and is that first Mig sporting some kind of nose art?

Member for

19 years 2 months

Slovakia AF
relics from the past at Trencin Airfield.

http://img166.exs.cx/img166/9835/mig2117ba.jpg

http://img166.exs.cx/img166/8037/mig2127zm.jpg

Member for

18 years 8 months

Definitely within that time period, Dan: it wasn't really a "deal" so much as related to geo-politics and "regime change". Maybe one of the Guys here with more local knowledge of the TNI-AU or South-East Asia can confirm, but I think Indonesia stopped ops on the MiG-21F-13 in 1967? Off the top of my head this lead to them going from 1960's Fishbed ops to being an F-51 user (MAP-supplied in 1970).

Does anyone know how the Indonesian Fishbed happened to finish-up in the Brussels museum (from 1992, IIRC)? I have more than one source suggesting this passed-on to the US. The one in the TTF at Nellis (Arthur prefers "Petting Zoo"!!) is also reported as being from the same batch. Definitely an area needing some more work....!

Steve ~ Touchdown-News

Hello dear Steve Touchdown
Excuse my English

MiG-21F-13 which was tested in 1968 in Groom Lake, could not be from Indonesia.
As far as all is known, MiG-21 transferred in Indonesia, had the aerial of system - another's "Magniy".
http://rabinowich.narod.ru/21/magniy.jpg

In pictures http://area51specialprojects.com/ it is clearly visible, that the aerial is not present.
http://rabinowich.narod.ru/21/havedoughnut2.jpg

To Indonesia MiG-21 of the profit from structure 32 Guards fighter aviation Regiment.
Their further destiny after 1967 in a fog (except for "2160" и "6164" in Indonesia and "2157" in Brussel).
As I know, in Smitsonian now restore MiG, presumably earlier belonging to Indonesia. In Smitsonian it have transferred from USAF in 1990.
Whether something is known to you about transfer MiGs from Indonesia in USA?