Mirage ROSE 3 FLIR.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 4 months

I have just read the news section of this months AFM, and was very interested in the section about the ROSE 3 Mirage upgrade. What interested me the most was the reference to a FLIR being fitted, now I assume that this a Sagum product, but does anybody know whereabouts on the plane it is fitted? I would assume the nose, but is it above or below?
Probably a more interesting question is, could the system be fitted to the Mirage 2000?

Are there any pictures of a mirage with a FLIR?

Original post

Member for

20 years 3 months

most likely its carried externally, Nose carries the larger Grifo-M radar anyway. PAF F-16s also use SAGEM FLIRS.

Member for

20 years 3 months

I have just read the news section of this months AFM, and was very interested in the section about the ROSE 3 Mirage upgrade. What interested me the most was the reference to a FLIR being fitted, now I assume that this a Sagum product, but does anybody know whereabouts on the plane it is fitted? I would assume the nose, but is it above or below?
Probably a more interesting question is, could the system be fitted to the Mirage 2000?

Are there any pictures of a mirage with a FLIR?

it is fitted in a carenage under the nose between the radar radome and the front landing gear like you can see on this photo

Member for

19 years 4 months

Thanks puppet, the ROSE 3 is certainly a contender for the ultimate mirage 3/5/50 variant.

Member for

20 years 3 months

Is this system IRST capable?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Thanks puppet, the ROSE 3 is certainly a contender for the ultimate mirage 3/5/50 variant.

Compared to the Cheetah, Kfir, and Pantera the ROSE hasn't got much to put on the table in my opinion.

Member for

20 years 8 months

this thing looks much less capable & flexible as a external pod like Damocles, atflir or Litening.
it can only look forward and cant be used to orbit and spot targets in a cone below or to the sides.

> IRST

dont think so.

Member for

20 years 3 months

this thing looks much less capable & flexible as a external pod like Damocles, atflir or Litening.
it can only look forward and cant be used to orbit and spot targets in a cone below or to the sides.

dont think so.

probably , though it has the advantage to drag less ( but here it's not the point since its role doesn't require high speed) and more important on a Mirage 5 , it clears a weapon store. ;)

Member for

18 years 10 months

Even fixed FLIRs are mounted on a gimballed steering system and thus have sufficient movement to allow it to cover wider area.

Fixed fairing installations are better than pylon mounted dedicated pods as in addition to releiving a pylon also reduces pylon drag.

Member for

24 years 2 months

The ROSE-III is for the squadron strength of No.22 sqn's Mirage-IIIEF which were going to PAC a few months ago. Hence, no radar in the nose.

Are you sure its a FLIR and not an LRMTS in the nose? A shot of the information board may help.

Member for

20 years 3 months

The ROSE-III is for the squadron strength of No.22 sqn's Mirage-IIIEF which were going to PAC a few months ago. Hence, no radar in the nose.

Are you sure its a FLIR and not an LRMTS in the nose? A shot of the information board may help.

the carenage under the nose is fitted with a FLIR there is no doubt. I know the engineer in charge of the Egyptian upgrade and i have had the chance to stay there 3 days with the guys working on the plane , it's a FLIR.

Member for

24 years 2 months

What about the gimballed assembly and associated LRUs on display at the port side of the aircraft?

Member for

19 years 6 months

Irst/Flir combo assembly proposed for the Thunder. Only the FLIR is Sagem's the gray boxes are PAC IFF equipment as fitted to the ROSE series of upgrades.