Status of MiG-29SMT & Su-27UBM/30KN

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 8 months

Hi all,
does someone know something about the status of the MiG-29SMT and Su-27UBM/30KN aircraft for the RuAF?

AFAIK the first "production" MiG-29SMT was presented already in january 1999. I read somewhere the MiG-29SMT entered service with the RuAF in 2002. Is that true and if yes how many aircraft were upgraded to that standard.

For Su-27UBM and Su-30KN one prototype of each aircraft existed and AFAIK the RuAF gave an order for upgrading 30 Su-27UB, including the remaining 4 Su-30 aircraft in 2001. Some sources say now this order was cancelled in preference of the Su-27SM. What about that?

thx in advance

Original post

Member for

19 years 5 months

I dont know about the SMT upgrade plans for the RuAF but the type has been aquired by Yemen and two examples by Eritrea.
If the RuAF has decided to go with the SMT i would be interested to know which variant they have optedfor as there seem to be two known with a third emerging.

SMT1-a relative simple upgrade involving modification of the existing radar.
SMT2 a much deeper upgrade including the Zhuk M radar.
SMT3(?) A more up to date desighn using the engines of the Mig-35 and a more modern radar, Zhuk-MF or Bars-29?

I wonder how many of the current SMT's have the dorsal fuel tank fitted permanently?

Member for

20 years 8 months

I dont know about the SMT upgrade plans for the RuAF but the type has been aquired by Yemen and two examples by Eritrea.
If the RuAF has decided to go with the SMT i would be interested to know which variant they have optedfor as there seem to be two known with a third emerging.

I wonder how many of the current SMT's have the dorsal fuel tank fitted permanently?

Eritrea has SMTs? That is a news for me..

The dorsal tank is a bolt-on structure.. You don't have to wear it permanently..

Member for

19 years 5 months

The 2 Eritrean examples are mentioned is an article in the missiles and munitions forum.
By permanent I meant whether it is carried as a standard regular fit (like the CFT's on the F-15) or only for special long range missions?

Member for

20 years 4 months

Isn't Russia going to upgrade 100+ a/c starting this year??...

Member for

18 years 9 months

Yes true,but are they gonna be SMTs,UBTs,...?