Gripen for Denmark (to replace F-16's)

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 8 months

STOCKHOLM, Sweden, Dec. 1, 2005 (PRIMEZONE) -- Gripen for Denmark, "Gripen DK," is the successful fighter aircraft Gripen adapted to fully meet specific Danish requirements. Gripen DK is the response to a Request for Information, RFI, for a replacement of the current fleet of F-16 fighters, issued by the Royal Danish Air Force Air Materiel Command ("Flyvematerielkommandoen").

The Gripen DK is based on the proven C- and D-versions of the Gripen fighter, already in NATO-use, but further enhanced and tailored specifically to suit the needs of the Royal Danish Air Force ("Flyvevabnet"), thus providing the ideal solution for a F-16 replacement.

"When the day has come for Denmark to replace its aging F-16's, we see that Gripen is an excellent replacement as the aircraft is very capable, operationally proven in service and also the most cost-effective solution. Add to this the outstanding level of Industrial Cooperation and high level of Technology Transfer we can offer, and I am certain we have an unbeatable offer!" Johan Lehander, Managing Director for Gripen International, said when the RFI response was delivered yesterday, Wednesday 30 November.

Gripen DK offers the Danish Air Force a number of benefits, including:

-- A fully NATO interoperable, Net Centric Warfare (NCW) solution,
featuring Nordic heritage and common sense

-- Significantly lower acquisition and operational cost compared with
alternative platforms

-- Optional early deliveries from 2013 resulting in additional
operational cost savings

-- Full Swedish Government, Air Force and Industry support

-- Access to all levels of technology enabling autonomy and increased
national security

-- A vast range of integrated European and US weapons resulting in
less dependencies

-- A low risk solution with a funded development program

-- An integrated logistics support solution from a proven supplier
close to Denmark

-- Generation of sustainable economic benefits through long term
industrial partnerships

Gripen is the first of the new generation, multi-role combat aircraft that has entered service. Using the latest available technology it is capable of performing an extensive range of air-to-air and air-to-surface operational missions and employing the latest weapons. Gripen is designed to meet the demands of current and future threats, while at the same time meeting strict requirements for flight safety, reliability, training efficiency and low operating costs. Gripen is in service with the Swedish and Czech Republic Air Forces and has also been ordered by the South African and Hungarian Air Forces. The UK Empire Test Pilots' School (ETPS) is operating Gripen as its advanced fast jet training platform for test pilots worldwide.

http://www.primezone.com/newsroom/news.html?d=90596
Original post

Member for

18 years 6 months

This is what the Dutch and Austrians should have done too, instead of signing into the JSF and Typhoon, respectively.

It's unclear to me why countries with small airspaces even look beyond the Gripen.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I'm glad to see the Gripen getting export success because it seems to be the overlooked Euro-canard. I hope the Danes buy it.

Member for

19 years 8 months

I would really love to see Gripens in Danish colours.

Member for

24 years 2 months

This is what the Dutch and Austrians should have done too, instead of signing into the JSF and Typhoon, respectively.

It's unclear to me why countries with small airspaces even look beyond the Gripen.

I couldn't agree more. While I believe that the F-35 will be a very good replacement for the F-16, one has to wonder why everyone is jumping all over it when, in the case of some nations, it offers capabilities that may be a little more advanced than what they really need. Same goes for the more expensive (when compared to Gripen) Rafale and EF-2000. Good for Gripen, I saw some here in Kansas stopping over for gas en-route to Nellis AFB for RED FLAG, they're nice, capable little jets.

Member for

19 years 7 months

I couldn't agree more. While I believe that the F-35 will be a very good replacement for the F-16, one has to wonder why everyone is jumping all over it when, in the case of some nations, it offers capabilities that may be a little more advanced than what they really need. Same goes for the more expensive (when compared to Gripen) Rafale and EF-2000. Good for Gripen, I saw some here in Kansas stopping over for gas en-route to Nellis AFB for RED FLAG, they're nice, capable little jets.

Didnt know that the Swedes were sending Gripens to Red Flag...thought it would be the same lame Hercs they usually send. Hope they send them to Maple Flag this year (Gripens that is) would love to see them up close!

Also, I of anyone, being such a fan of the Flygvapnet would love to see the Gripen succeed in the international sales arena but dont count this as in the bag yet... SAAB has a poor track record of following through, lots of RFI and not many sales. Hope it goes well for them, crossing fingers.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Yup, they sent two of them, and they were accompanied by one of them "lame Hercs" :D At least I'm about 90% sure they were going to RED FLAG, I do know for a fact their destination was Nellis AFB, so I assume they could have gone their for another reason. Not that likely though, given the lengths they had to go to get all the way there!

Member for

20 years 3 months

The Gripen is a really good choice. Hope the Belgians will order some too as a future replacement for their F-16's. We didn't need F-15's in the seventies/eighties, why would we need Typhoons of JSF? We don't need big fighters.

Member for

18 years 8 months

A few Questions :

Have GE transferred all of the F-404's technology to Sweden for the RM 12 ? Where are the Gripen's engines made ?

Who makes the Gripen's HUD ? (looks way 2 cool)

Is Ericson a swedish origin company ?

What is the Gripen's unit cost ?

What was the total money spent for the development of the Gripen ?

When is the NORA scheduled to replace the present radar ? What is the tracking range of the present MMR radar ?

Does the Gripen have a Laser Warning Reciever and Missile Approach warner, IRST in its present form ?

To what degree does it make use of composites ?

What are the major parts that sourced from outside sweden (if any) ?

Thank You

Member for

20 years 7 months

A few Questions :
1. Have GE transferred all of the F-404's technology to Sweden for the RM12 ? Where are the Gripen's engines made ?
2. Who makes the Gripen's HUD ? (looks way 2 cool)
3. Is Ericson a swedish origin company ?
4. What is the Gripen's unit cost ?
6. When is the NORA scheduled to replace the present radar ? What is the tracking range of the present MMR radar ?
7. Does the Gripen have a Laser Warning Reciever and Missile Approach warner, IRST in its present form ?
8. To what degree does it make use of composites ?
9. What are the major parts that sourced from outside sweden (if any) ?

Thank You

1. Yes.. At Volvo company..
2. That would be SAABTech, again, I guess.
3. Absolutely
4. Approx 48 mil dollars, depends on the units ordered, delivery schedule etc.
6. Not before 2009.. Current radar is somewhere around APG-73, slightly better..
7. I believe yes, IRST is not present at the time but it already appeared on some mock-ups, looks like IRST is a future option
8. Quite a lot! Certainly comparavble to any other counterparts
9. Landing gear is from Messier Dowty, I think.. Gripen also uses Czech parts, mainly hydraulic actuators (made by Jihlavan). Some US parts are also present..

List of main suppliers:

BCF Designs - Military and Civil Aircraft Test Equipment (Manufacturing, Engineering and Test Equipment)
Ericsson Microwave Systems - Defense Electronics and Microwave Communications (Fire Control, Surveillance and Targeting)
Filtronics Components - Microwave Subsystems (Countermeasures, Electronic Warfare and Decoys)
Heim Systems - Data Acquisition Hardware (Electronics, Subsystems and Components)
L-3 Communications Corp./ Electrodynamics, Inc. - Flight Data Recorders, Memory Units and Solid-State Data Storage (Electronics, Subsystems and Components)
Martek Power Abbott Inc - Custom Military Power Solutions (Electrical Equipment and Power Supply)
Oxley Avionics - Night Vision Lighting Equipment (Cockpit, Head-up and Helmet Displays)
Rheinmetall Waffe Munition GmbH - Air Weapon and Protection Systems (Cannon, Machine Guns and Ammunition)
SaabTech - Electronic Warfare (EW) Systems (Countermeasures, Electronic Warfare and Decoys)
Saft, Industrial Batteries Group - Aircraft Batteries (Electrical Equipment and Power Supply)
Sensitron - Integrated Power Electronics, Microelectronics and Discrete Semiconductors (Electronics, Subsystems and Components)
Systecon AB - Systems and Logistics Engineering, Spares Optimisaton OPUS10 (IT, Computing and Software)
Vicor - Military COTS Power Component Solutions (Electrical Equipment and Power Supply)
Volvo Aero Military Engines - Fighter Aircraft Engine Systems (Engines, Transmission and Drive)

Member for

18 years 8 months

Thanks a lot flex :)

EDIT : errr....anyone knows the total amount spent for developing the Gripen :confused:

Member for

19 years 10 months

Great news, for small European countries the Gripen is a better choise than Eurofighter, Rafale and F-35.
The Gripen in dutch, danish, belgian or even in norwegian camo would be great.
But for Norway and the Netherlands, I would like a more powered version.
The GE F414 from the Superhornet or secondly the EJ200 from the Typhoon would be a right choise. Of cource, all versions should have an up-to-date Hard- and Software package.

Member for

18 years 6 months

The F-35 is the only truly post-Cold War combat aircraft. As such, the F-35 emphasizes the air-to-ground mission. Why? Simply put, the typical Cold War air defense environment is a thing of the past.

The Gripen is indeed capable of performing the air defense of a country like Denmark. The only problem is that a country like Denmark has absolutely no need of a fighter to defend its airspace. There is no longer any air defense threat facing Europe, and it is highly unlikely that any such threat will develope in the next 20 years.

On the other hand, possession of a F-35 fleet will allow countries like Italy and the Netherlands to fully contribute to future out-of-area coalition defense scenarios.

It's very hard to justify defense assets solely for "self-defense" when there is no enemy to defend against. "Power projection" is always useful, though.

Member for

18 years 3 months

Agree, Gripen is even not matching M2k dash 9 abilities, and Danes need something else!

Member for

19 years 7 months

Yup, they sent two of them, and they were accompanied by one of them "lame Hercs" :D At least I'm about 90% sure they were going to RED FLAG, I do know for a fact their destination was Nellis AFB, so I assume they could have gone their for another reason. Not that likely though, given the lengths they had to go to get all the way there!

Wonder when they are going to replace those "lame Hercs"? I have heard a little complaining from some in the SwAF that thier airlift needs are not being addressed. Those are fairly old Herc and they dont have many...7 i think and 1 tanker. With the C/D version of the GRipen being air refuelable they will need to do something. Otherwise they will end up like Canada :rolleyes:

Gripen is HUD is made by SAAB avitronics... its is called the EP-17.

Member for

18 years 7 months

On the other hand, possession of a F-35 fleet will allow countries like Italy and the Netherlands to fully contribute to future out-of-area coalition defense scenarios.

It's very hard to justify defense assets solely for "self-defense" when there is no enemy to defend against. "Power projection" is always useful, though.

I think it is easy to exaggerate the need and will among European countries for international operations. The talk about international paricipation is mostly just a way to convince politicians about the need for new fighters when the cold war is over.

As far as I know Denmark´s current international participation is restricted to a C-130 in Afganistan and four helicopters in Irak. I don´t see this participation becoming more than symbolic in the future. Denmark is looking to replace their F-16s with 48 new aircraft but I guess very few of these aircraft would be used in international operations.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Whoa, that's cool terminology: "out-of-area coalition defense scenarios"!!

Once you go out of area, you are on the offence. So call it what they are: offensive scenarios.

"Italy and the Netherlands" and others have no need (contrary to what their politicians tell them) to be involved in military operations outside of their territory.

The US does it because we can then later milk the countries we've attacked for the natural resources they have, but the European countries can't hope for that...

I admire the Scandinavians for the realistic approach, and the Swedes in particular for the great Gripen!

Member for

19 years 4 months

Good point. If you think of a country going to the expense of buying fighters, they're probably going to want to get a type that most fits the combat uses to which it will be put. And at least for now, NATO is seeing itself as projecting outward more. So bomb-carrying ability and maybe the ability to be easily and efficiently serviced through a NATO infrastructure might weigh in favor of the F-35. Maybe the eventual cost of the F-35 will outweigh those benefits for small AFs in Europe, favoring the Gripen. But officially the F-35 is still supposed to be "low cost".

Member for

20 years 6 months

"Italy and the Netherlands" and others have no need (contrary to what their politicians tell them) to be involved in military operations outside of their territory.

May the Dutch and Italians decide for themselves who are their friends, their needs, their interests and where they send their troops to? Thank you very much!! ;) May other countries also decide to opt out of naive leftist isolationism, whose sole highbrow solution to international problems is to stick one's head into the ground and talk about international laws without having anybody to enforce it? Thank you again!!
My country contributes to a variety of peace and reconstruction missions under UN, NATO umbrella or with allied countries JUST AS THOSE REALISTIC SCANDINAVIANS DO in case you didn't know!!!!

Just as the Dutch, the Swedes, the Danish and Norwegians also have troops in Afghanistan:

Here, Norwegian IFVs (CV9030Ns) in Afghanistan:

http://mishilo.image.pbase.com/v3/76/574376/2/49494691.mb202.jpg

Member for

18 years 10 months

The clear con to F-35 is cost. It might not be an issue for USA - getting 800 instead of 2400 F-35 fighters wouldn't mean sh!t to them. But getting 16 instead of 48 fighters would mean something for Denmark. For small countries cost is an issue.

(Note: Just an example. I am not saying that F-35 is three times the price of Gripen)

Member for

18 years 5 months

Didnt know that the Swedes were sending Gripens to Red Flag...thought it would be the same lame Hercs they usually send. Hope they send them to Maple Flag this year (Gripens that is) would love to see them up close!

Also, I of anyone, being such a fan of the Flygvapnet would love to see the Gripen succeed in the international sales arena but dont count this as in the bag yet... SAAB has a poor track record of following through, lots of RFI and not many sales. Hope it goes well for them, crossing fingers.

Its not just SAAB. Gripen International also involves BAe. BAe have about 35% shares in SAAB. The Gripen International also benefits from full governmental support by UK and Sweden.