EADS Barracuda UAV / UCAV ....

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

And Spain is still in the Neuron project

Member for

18 years 9 months

I think when it comes to UAVs/UCAVs Germany/France/Sweden/UK are roughly the same. So stay cool guys. :cool:

No worries mate. Sounds a reasonable assessment, particularly as there are so many joint projects, with overlapping membership (e.g. Dassault's in Neuron & Euromale, EADS leads Euromale, Thales is in Euromale & Watchkeeper, etc, etc). The competition between firms is for workshare in the respective programmes, at least as much as between programmes. Just got a bit irritated by the "Germany is the greatest" claims (not that the Germans are lagging - just not way out in front). See the F124 -T45 thread for more of the same.

I think Italy is lagging a little, but now trying hard to catch up.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Don´t get so exited. Barracuda is an EADS project financed by EADS money that is aiming at keeping up with other european firms, that are researching into future UACVs. It is neither more advanced nor much more closer to service entry, then any other european project. the test modell is just larger. There is genuine interest by the Luftwaffe to use an UACV as a future replacement for ECR and recce Tornados.

It is wearing the german and spanish flags because most mof the tesing will be done in both countries, neither of which is financing the project at the moment.

Member for

19 years 4 months

I think Italy is lagging a little, but now trying hard to catch up.

I agree their Sky-X ain't that innovative, not stealthy and as far as I know no full autonomy.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Don´t get so exited. Barracuda is an EADS project financed by EADS money that is aiming at keeping up with other european firms, that are researching into future UACVs. It is neither more advanced nor much more closer to service entry, then any other european project. the test modell is just larger. There is genuine interest by the Luftwaffe to use an UACV as a future replacement for ECR and recce Tornados.

It is wearing the german and spanish flags because most mof the tesing will be done in both countries, neither of which is financing the project at the moment.

In Spain trials will be made in one of our exercises zone in Huelva, very near from Morón de la Frontera and Rota, is where our air defence units are making trials, with NASAMS now.....beware with friendly fire.... :D

Member for

18 years 1 month

I agree with Signatory. Size of the plane does not have much in common with its sophistication. The fact, that in the past aerospace firms built manned full-scale experimental aircrafts does not mean, that this is the best solution. Only in that time it was nearly impossible to build autonomous unmanned and also scaled down plane to explore advanced aerodynamics, because they didnt have required technologies. The first attempts to do this began in 80s (for example Rockwell HiMAT). And the last important thing - pilotless unmanned demonstrators (of any type of aircraft) are much much much cheaper.

Barracuda is really old project. I had the first infos sometime around 1997.

Member for

18 years 2 months

I just finish a Neuron model of my own, putting it in front of a row of Typhoon, Grippen and Rafale... that 's nice to see!!

Member for

18 years 1 month

Check out the latest article on Janes !

Jane's International Defense Review
Date Posted: 13-Feb-2006

Barrakuda technology advances

Images of the EADS Barrakuda stealth unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) demonstrator indicate that the company's work on stealth may have outpaced that of BAE Systems, Saab and Dassault. Barrakuda is a much larger, heavier and more sophisticated aircraft than the very small test vehicles that other European companies have unveiled to date.

Barrakuda has an estimated wingspan of 8.75 m and an overall length of 9.5 m, in the same class as the 5,500 kg Boeing X-45A demonstrator. It is reportedly powered by a Snecma/Turbomeca Larzac engine, but the size of the exhaust suggests a larger engine (such as the Honeywell F124 used on the X-45A, or a Rolls-Royce/Turbomeca Adour).

The configuration of the Barrakuda is conventional, with moderately swept wings and four tail surfaces. The inlet is top-mounted and the body has a hard chine at mid-height. The design appears to represent an unmanned combat aerial vehicle (UCAV) rather than a reconnaissance aircraft. It has a plain circular exhaust which would probably not be suited for an operational aircraft - EADS may plan to replace it with a stealthier design later in the programme.

Because of its greater size, Barrakuda could be used for more advanced tests than are possible with small-scale demonstrators. For instance, it could be fitted with an internal weapon bay, to explore the technology involved in releasing weapons from a stealthy aircraft and maintaining stealth once the doors have closed. It could also be used for realistic in-flight tests of radar-absorbent materials (RAM) - the smaller vehicles yield aerodynamic data but cannot be used for realistic tests of RAM, the effects of which are not directly scalable.

Barrakuda could also be tested on the EADS RaSigma 3 radar signature measurement facility in Manching, which unlike most outdoor radar cross-section (RCS) ranges is designed to support the weight of a real aircraft. US experience with full-scale RCS models has shown that very high fidelity between the test article and the real vehicle is essential if results are to be reliable.

EADS Germany has been involved with stealth development since the 1980s, when the company produced a full-scale mock-up of the Lampyridae (Firefly) supersonic stealth interceptor. The project caused massive concern in the US because the aircraft's shape closely resembled that of the then-secret F-117A, and the Pentagon assigned US engineers to investigate whether the resemblance could be coincidental. They reported that it was, but the US remained concerned that Warsaw Pact intelligence could penetrate the Lampyridae project and thereby compromise the US programme, and pressured Germany to shut the programme down.

Currently, EADS is not only developing the Barrakuda but is also working on RCS-reduction modifications for conventional aircraft. Tests have been carried out on Tornados and the company believes that it is cost-effective to reduce the head-on RCS of such aircraft by 10-20 dB.

Member for

20 years 7 months

I think that between the barracuda and the Neuron, some differents are obvious.

The barracuda is more mature because the program is older but it seems the Neuron goal is to produce a more advanced product.

It's right that Germany seems to have a very good product with the Lampyridae but now, this kinf of stealth is obsolete.

Member for

20 years 4 months

First, I want to express my excitement that something is moving on within Europe's aircraft companies.
And this involves all those projects. Before those photos became public, I would have considered Saab as the leading company within Europe, considering UAV's.
Who says that we won't see next week pics from Warton.
Barrakuda may be big, but at the moment I still think Saab is a step ahead in autonomity. Here size doesn't matter.
Add to this many european companies gained experience during the development of the Scalp/Taurus/Stormshadow.

Someone mentioned, EADS is no German company. I hope you don't believe EADS is a European company. There is still a difference between EADS France, EADS Casa and EADS Germany.
If not 100% German, then the foreign Barrakuda parts are most probably American. Messerschmitt had once the partnership with Rockwell. Later this became the partnership between DASA and Nothrop Grumman. And today it is the partnership between Nothrop Grumman and EADS.

The reason for the Spanish flag are testflights in Spain. This has nothing to do with an involvement, or Spain leaving Neuron.

And finally I could quote some poster above me. Barrakuda and Neuron are different pair of shoes. Different timeframe and requirements.

But finally, there happens something. Hopefully we will soon see what BAe is developing at the moment. :)

Member for

19 years 8 months

At least the Barracuda gives some use for all the stored "Alphajets" - they share the same engine ;)

Member for

19 years 4 months

Hopefully we will soon see what BAe is developing at the moment.

Well apart from Corax, the UK DIS announced that BAe/MoD want to sign a UCAV R&D contract (apparently BAe wanted to sign it in January, but it seem to be delayed) :) But then they could be doing some further secret work atm, because the UK has a nice list of black projects which were "uncovered" over the years (Nightjar I+II, Replica, Halo etc...)

Member for

20 years 4 months

It is interesting to compare this to the History of Typhoon/Rafale.
This time Dassault managed to get Partners, despite their demand for leadership.
Of course, in absence of "the other" european team.

The UK and Italy will get JSF to fulfill the strike role. Leaves only Germany with a more urgent demand to replace Tornadoes in different roles.
Lets wait and see, if Barrakuda is the answer or if the Neuron or whatever follows will be available soon enough.
I hope we will see the "common" solution. But, oh, that demand for leadership by Dassault... :p

Member for

20 years 7 months

Aurel.
That's a good lesson from the Eurofighter story.

If you can't have the best relationship (industrial and political of course), don't try to be equal partners with more than 2 members.

An obvious leader isn't something wrong.

Member for

19 years 10 months

Pic's from Join

Hi folks,

Join (aka Mach1) from flugzeugforum.de allowed me today to post two of his pictures from the EADS Barracuda. I know you have seen his pictures here in this forum or via quicklink in other sources, but these pictures are original, larger and show more details.
I hope, you enjoy them!!!

Join, if you read this, thanks again for your two pictures! :)

Member for

19 years 4 months

I nominate BAe as the king of UAV/UCAVs in Europe atm:

http://www.aviationnow.com/avnow/news/channel_aerospacedaily_story.jsp?id=news/BAE02166.xml

BAE Systems Detailing UCAV Research Efforts
By Douglas Barrie
02/16/2006 09:29:17 AM

LONDON -- BAE Systems is beginning to detail previously classified unmanned combat air vehicle (UCAV) research efforts, including flying a representative low observable air vehicle.

BAE first flew a UCAV demonstrator, dubbed Raven, in late 2003. The low observable design is part of the company's wider work into UCAV technology for the British Defense Ministry.

Two Raven carbon-fiber composite airframes have been built and flown. Test flights of the jet-powered UCAV demonstrator were carried out in Australia at the Woomera Range. Radar cross-section reduction is a key element of the airframe design. The air intake is mounted on top of the fuselage, with control surfaces on the wing aligned with the trailing edge. The airframe is a flying-wing configuration, with no vertical or horizontal tail surfaces.

British Defense Ministry interest in UCAV technology first emerged as part of its Future Offensive Air System (FOAS) program. The effort was intended to identify capabilities to fulfill the deep strike role now provided by the Royal Air Force's Tornado GR4. FOAS has since been succeeded by the Strategic Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (Experiment) (SUAVE) -- which Raven feeds into.

SUAVE will be the focus of additional UCAV work, including a further technology demonstrator program. A UCAV capability will form an element of the U.K.'s future deep strike capability, though the timeframe for its entry into service is likely 2015-2020.

Along with examining the design and manufacture of an Low Observable UCAV design, the Raven was also used to develop and test a digital flight control system for the aerodynamically unstable design. The Raven is fully autonomous from takeoff to landing, with the flight control system providing the air vehicle with considerable maneuverability.

The Raven's central fuselage is common with that of BAE's Corax program. This is a sub-scale design of a strategic surveillance UAV -- though its wingspan is still in excess of 10 meters. Corax first flew at Woomera in early 2005. Part of the trials were to examine the flight characteristics of the finless high-aspect ration wing design, in part to avoid the kind of control problems encountered by the U.S. Darkstar program.

Along with electro-optical payloads, the Corax configuration lends itself to the carriage of a large conformal array antenna on the wing.

The company is not only working on UCAV and strategic reconnaissance applications. Its Herti family is intended to develop a range of tactical long-endurance UAVs. The Herti has an operational radius of 540 nautical miles and is capable of flying at altitudes of 20,000 feet. A number of Herti air vehicle designs are also being flight-tested.

Member for

19 years 4 months

"King in UCAVs" is a bit over the top I'll admit, but they are doing a lot of work, what I want now in this regard are Pictures! :)

Member for

18 years 1 month

Hi everybody!

Apparently the EADS Barracuda hat its successful first flight in San Javier, Spain, some time ago. EADS went public about it on Friday:

http://www.eads.com/web/lang/en/1024/content/OF00000000400004/8/52/41142528.html/41180017_41180017/content/OF00000040950509/0/60/41329600.html

(the site even has a cool 3min video of the flight!)

The flight was 20 Minutes long and fully autonomous...

http://www.eads.com/web/pressdbdata/en/1024/content/OF00000040950509/5/71/41329715.jpg

http://www.eads.com/web/pressdbdata/en/1024/content/OF00000040950509/7/71/41329717.jpg

http://www.eads.com/web/pressdbdata/en/1024/content/OF00000040950509/3/71/41329713.jpg

Member for

19 years 10 months

Cool video!!!