2 seaters without a gun

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

I know that basically everyone's opinion of fighters like the Typhoon and other fighters that don't have guns is complete stupidity.

But what does everyone think about 2 seat versions of fighters losing their guns for upgrades and/or the second seat. The only 2 fighters that don't have guns on their 2 seaters are the Gripen and when the Rafale BM. I know that the Rafale M has a gun and so does the 2 seater M but the French want to upgrade the Rafale B's. In the Air Force they put the extra equipment in the nose wheel bay but in Navy they removed the gun for the extra equipment since their is no more room in the nose wheel bay, because of the bigger carrier nose undercarriage.
Source: Air International March 2001 Vol 60 No 3 pg 169.

Myself, I think that both the Gripen and Rafale BM should have a gun. In the case of the Gripen they place an air vent on the bottom on the fuselage couldn't they have place it on top o accommidate space for the gun. And for the Rafale BM couldn't they just placed them in pods similar to those proposed for CFT for the Rafale.

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: 2 seaters without a gun

It's not a big deal as these two seaters likely won't be acting in the air superiority role. To retain the gun would mean some costly redesign work and sacrificing something you're going to be using much more often, like fuel capacity. I believe both aircraft have available gun pods for those few times where cannon fire is needed.