New Supersonic Bomber For USAF ???

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 5 months

Pentagon developing supersonic shape-shifting assassin

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/TECH/06/23/supersonic.bomber/story.switchblade.jpg
With a shift of its wing, Switchblade goes from long-range endurance flyer to Mach-speed assassin.

SWITCHBLADE FACTS:

Objective: To function efficiently as both an endurance aircraft and as a supersonic airplane by changing its shape midflight.

Time frame: Design by 2007; one-fifth-scale technology demonstration vehicle by 2010; ready for service as early as 2020.

Wingspan: 200 feet

Range: 5,000 nautical miles

Max. altitude: 60,000 feet

Max. speed: Mach 2

Original post

Member for

18 years 8 months

Manned or not?

Member for

18 years

Well, that sort of thing is in development for decades now. As far as official info goes, it may be in development for decades more. Article itself is from popularscience, which is known to dig out various hi tech projects with lots of 'wow' value. Not to say they're not gonna happen, but it looks to me they just picked a project that loooked cool and put it in the timeframe USAF said it wants to field its new bomber.

And the article says it'd be unmanned. I would guess it could go either way, really, depending on AI.

Member for

18 years 11 months

Not to mention that it shows cruise missiles being deployed from between the engines? Clearly there isn't room even in the picture. It's just another Popular "Science" fantasy.

Member for

18 years 2 months

Did not NASA build a test aircraft to trial that Wing configuration at low speed (XD-1 was the designation if I remember correctly) in the late 1970's? The plan was then to build a supersonic version based on the F-8. I never heard what happened after that.

Member for

24 years 3 months

This is not fantasy, a subscale oblique wing UAV is being prepared for flight as we speak.

Member for

20 years 5 months

Is the US looking at new bomber program to replacing its existing B-52 or B-1 ?? Considering that they have mentioned the schedule and are developing a 1/5 demonstrator it looks quite real.

Member for

24 years 3 months

The USAF is looking at the "B-3", to come online around 2025 I think. One of the concepts under study is a Mach 2.4 cruise aircraft.

Member for

18 years 11 months

This is not fantasy, a subscale oblique wing UAV is being prepared for flight as we speak.

The part that is fantasy is that they are planning a bomber like this one. There is simple no room for a bombay between the engines big enough to carry multiple cruise missiles.

Member for

24 years 3 months

That's just a typically asinine media interpretation, that's all.

Member for

18 years 11 months

That's just a typically asinine media interpretation, that's all.

Well no kidding :) But the guy who posted this doesn't know that so I thought I'd break the news to him. ;)

Member for

18 years 5 months

I see absolute no need for something like this, why don't they just produce more B-2 then?

Member for

24 years 3 months

I see absolute no need for something like this, why don't they just produce more B-2 then?

A Mach 2.4 aircraft will have a much shorter reaction time than a subsonic B-2. That's the idea, at least. This is potentially part of the USAF's Prompt Global Strike initiative.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Be interesting to see how it refuels. A there-and-back trip out of Diego or Guam could use a bit more than a 5,000 mile range. Our list of allies to help us on our next big adventure/ "threat" presented by Microsoft Powellpoint 2003 seems to get shorter. Diego and Guam might be it at the rate we are going. I would rather see the above working hand in hand with a super jumbo of some kind as an arsenal ship, both firing off long range hyperonic shapes of the kind that was tested off of the NASA B-52 a few years back.

Member for

18 years 5 months

A Mach 2.4 aircraft will have a much shorter reaction time than a subsonic B-2. That's the idea, at least. This is potentially part of the USAF's Prompt Global Strike initiative.

I don't think anyone will question its capabilities, but it looks like one of those programs that will get huge development cost and cancelled in the middle. If something like this comes out, it's unit cost might balloon to something like 5 billion each. But then again, you might only 6 B-3s to do all the striking you need.

Member for

24 years 3 months

A lot of the early developmental work can be drawn from the NASA/DARPA QSP program, which is researching quiet supersonic aircraft primarily for civil use.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Two things are confused here: Yes, the USAF is thinking about a new bomber which might or might not be supersonic, often referred to as LRSA, Long Range Strike Aircraft. See http://www.strategypage.com/messageboards/messages/512-12026.asp

What we talk about here is a test aircraft built by Northrop Grumman, see

http://www.sflorg.com/aviation/av032306_01.html

Attachments

Member for

18 years 11 months

Two things are confused here: Yes, the USAF is thinking about a new bomber which might or might not be supersonic, often referred to as LRSA, Long Range Strike Aircraft. See http://www.strategypage.com/messageboards/messages/512-12026.asp

What we talk about here is a test aircraft built by Northrop Grumman, see

http://www.sflorg.com/aviation/av032306_01.html

Not built yet and personally I'll be surprised if it doesn't get cancelled. What's it going to tell us that the NASA test vehicle didn't? BTW where do the landing gear go? :confused:

Member for

18 years 2 months

What's wrong with the B1?

Member for

19 years 8 months

The USAF is looking at the "B-3", to come online around 2025 I think. One of the concepts under study is a Mach 2.4 cruise aircraft.

Maybe they should dust off the plans for the XB-70 and get a Mach 3 cruise aircraft. :D I suppose they want something stealthy, though.